“Comfortable Stay for Business”

City Lodge Hotel Hatfield
Ranked #21 of 73 Hotels in Pretoria
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Comfortable Stay for Business”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Visited this hotel for one night during a trip for business to Pretoria. The hotel is well located in Hatfield. The hotel provides secure underground parking with the adjoining building. Check-in was efficient despite having to wait for the receptionist to attend telephonic requests from guests before being assisted (only one staff member on duty the evening and another guest waiting), but check-out was as fast and efficient as it gets. The rooms are well equipped and comfortable, and provide a lovely view of the city. The "room with a view" is rather interesting with an opening which looks onto the bathroom. A couple who travelled along with me had such room, and it was rather funny when their door, which covered the "view" was said to be jammed, providing them with little privacy in the toilet. This was more of a joke to them than something which warranted a complaint and room change however.

Hotel is within a short driving distance from the High Court other offices within the CBD. Enjoyed supper in the restaurant, which was enjoyable and the restaurant comfortable.

Would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Hatfield, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
We thank you for the positive review. We're glad you found the rooms comfortable and enjoyed the convenience of the location. We will look into your issue regarding the view as we do with such matters. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Korean first
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I have stayed in City lodge Hotel Hatfield from April 13 to 18, 2014, it is very clean with all required facility inside the rooms very comfortable bed, LCD TV, digital Safe box and the like, besides they have a very nice breakfast with amazing hospitality in the first flour restaurant.

they have very limited number of machines for the fitness center, but if you want a complete JIM service their is a Jim with a walking distance they have variety of packages for visitors but you have to pay for that.

Room Tip: To have a nice view of the city take a room in the 5th, or beyond floor and take your preference to...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Hatfield, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for the positive review. We're glad that you enjoyed our restaurant as well as the rooms. We have noted your issue with regards to the fitness center. We hope you stay with us again soon!
Richards Bay, South Africa
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I booked a non smoking room, instead I got a smokers room. There was a door in between my room and my neighbour. When he/she smoked, smoke filled my room, so I couldn't sleep because of that. Over all the place was beautiful.

Room Tip: Do not take any room on the 8th floor if you are a non-smoker. Seems like those are all smokers room...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Hatfield, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you so much for the great review. We have noted your issue. We are glad you enjoyed the surroundings. We hope you stay with us again!
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I travel to Pretoria on a quarterly basis for work and this is a quaint, clean, well managed hotel. The staff are courteous, the breakfast is good and the gym and pool are adequate. The breakfast, while a little overpriced, is nice. I would recommend if you can get a good rate.

Room Tip: Make sure you request if you want a king or double bed. I was stuck with two singles, which isn'...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Chad S
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Hatfield, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for the review. We're happy to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and enjoyed the breakfast. We will look into the issue you have raised about the windows. We can't wait to have you stay with us again soon.
Bonn
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I'm a frequent traveller to Pretoria. I have been to the City Lodge before and had a hard time sleeping because of the noisy street and people shouting in front of the building. So when I checked out, I asked for a quiet room for next time. When making the reservation for that visit, I again asked for a quiet room. When checking in, I again asked for a quiet room.
What I got was a room facing a discotheque down the road that was pumping with noise even during the week. I had a to finally give in and use earplugs the first night, which led to what I had dreaded - not hearing my alarm clock the next morning, sleeping in and missing a meeting. The next evening I wanted to change rooms, but they told me they were completely booked and I couldn't move until the next morning. That night, the club pumped their music until after two, then came the drunkards who were shouting beneath the windows. I finally found sleep at 3:30h.
As if that hadn't been bad enough, when I talked to the manager the next day, all she could come up with was that she was sorry, it shouldn't have happened and she would "follow up on it". If it would make me feel better: They are in the process of suing that club (which only tells me that they are well aware of the problem!). When telling her that I wouldn't be coming back to this hotel, all she said was that they would surely try to give me a quiet room next time, although of course she couldn't guarantee anything. As for the trouble caused, she said they have my mail and she would "think of something".
That is two months ago now. I never ever received even a note of "we're sorry", let alone an email or an offer for recompensation.

If you want to sleep (which should be possible in a hotel, really!) or feel like your concerns are taking seriously, stay away from this hotel.

Room Tip: rather stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank FinchenBonn
Meilen
Reviewed 30 April 2014

stayed at there for 4 nights while attending a conference. Building is fairly new with nice architecture. Rooms are a bit on the small side. Our room was facing the main road and it was noisy, especially on Friday and Saturday evening and night with the mall and restaurants just across the road. The window did not close properly. Breakfast was good and generous, breakfast restaurant airy and light with access to the garden and pool deck. Staff friendly. Proximity to Gautrain, almost walking distance. Overall a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the main road are noisy
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed for four nights in i thought would b budget hotel. New, modern and clean. Has onsite restaurant nice outdoor pool terrace area and serves decent breakfasts. Free underground parking and wifi can be purchase from AllwaysOn. Got reduced rate by booking online. Its also possible to bid for weekend bookings at most of the four branded hotels in the chain.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo