“Excellent choice!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 73 Hotels in Pretoria
Brasilia, DF
“Excellent choice!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

I liked a lot the experience at Farm Inn, the hotel staff was extremelly helpful and friendly! Arranged for me and my group both transportation and bookings for the desired restaurants. Breakfast is excellent as well, possibly one of the best in South Africa, if not at least in Pretoria! This is a must visit hotel, they have a area were they rayse lions that can be seen and heard most of the time and if you are lucky you may also find some cubs!

My room was big, facing the green area that surounds the hotel and very calm.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I was with a group of six on business travel, 2 week stay. We selected this hotel because we wanted the African Experience. The hotel and grounds were indeed the African Experience. The hotel has an adjacent animal park, thatched roofs, cobblestone walks, large lawns, etc...all giving us the impression we were far from civilization. That was all quite interesting. Food and service was good. We ate once at the Garden Restaurant (lawn area) which was quite nice. Beware that some guest rooms are better than others. Traveling with a group of six, I discovered some rooms have air conditioning, most do not. Most have bathtubs with a separate shower stall, some have only bathtubs. In my room, there was no electical outlet in the bathroom. The area rugs were a bit used and needed cleaning. Hair dryers and electical adapters are available on request. Someone recommended 'Peaceful Sleep' (insect repellent). This help alot; I wish I knew about this on day one. Bugs seemed to find my irresistable. I slept with the windows open because my room didn't have air conditioning. I'm sure that didn't help with the bug issue as no screens on the windows.
So....if you want the African Experience. This is the place for you. If you demand all the comforts and niceities, then find another place.
P.S. We took a picture with Duma the cheetah. That was quite fun. Duma is quite tame.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with air conditioning
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

Unless you're from South Africa, you won't know 'Duma'... let me introduce you to 'Duma'.

Duma is a 12 year old Cheetah, who is the lead star in a movie by the same name. We were lucky enough to spend half an hour or so meeting Duma - a gift from my Aunt for our recent visit to her country. When we arrived at Farm Inn, we were shown to a lovely garden area where Duma was waiting for us, the closer we got the louder the purring got - it was, as if, he was actually excited to have visitors.

During our visit with Duma, we were allowed to pat, stroke, scratch, and take endless photos with him. He loves the attention and the feel of his scratchy tongue when he licks you is truly amazing - yes he licks too!!!!

If you have an opportunity to meet Duma - do it soon as he is getting old. But Farm Inn is currently training other cheetahs to enjoy these visits too. I'm unsure what the price is as this was a gift.

Room Tip: Check their website and request this well in advance to avoid disappointment.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

My husband and I stayed here in September. We thought the hotel was in the bush outside Pretoria but it's in the outlying suburbs. First impressions from the drive are a bit shabby.The rooms are nice and big. There is a large buffet breakfast with typical hotel food. Service is good one day, bad the next. There is no gym but you can go to the Virgin Active nearby.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Michelle D
cape town
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

The entrance gate looks run down, the security guards are rude. The road leading to the main building might seriously damage your car. There are security signs everywhere ... doesn't me feel very welcome. The place looks dated, everyone on this site says the rooms are gorgeous ... well yes, granted they are spacious but its as if if you've stepped into 1990, think the Fresh Prince of Bel Air. The food is mediocre. It feels as if no one has put any thought into the hotel for years. Service is not consistent. This is not a 4 star hotel by a long shot ... at best a 3 star.

Room Tip: choose the standard room ... if you like gaudy the luxury room
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank andrew565
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2011

Nice setting, but the front desk guy gave me the wrong directions, sending me miles in the opposite direction, late on a day that had started at 4:30 a.m. Then they told me I had to pay 60 rand for a wireless connection and--get this--the key number expires at 6 a.m. So you can stay in your room till the 10 a.m. checkout. You just can't do any business there, unless you want to pay another 60 rand. The same guy at the front desk who gave me wrong directions also gave me the wrong key number. Nobody apologized. In fact, they pretended it was my computer's fault.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank travelingwriter1
Delft, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2011

Early February 2010, I had to attend an international meeting in Pretoria. A lot of colleagues were staying at this place for the meeting. Due to the lovely impression of the Farm Inn, my wife decided to join me on this business trip and add a few days in Sabi Sands to the meeting.
We arrived at night (close to midnight) from Jo'burg. The next morning my wife and I did a safari trip. It was just the two of us and it was great. My wife actually had a chance to cuddle a young leopard cub during the safari! Very thoughtful and attentive of the ranger.

The meeting lasted a week and we really had a great time. Our room was right on the terrace overlooking the swimming pool. The only downside of the room was the shower, which was a little run down.
Breakfast was great. Large selection of food, very attentive serving and cooked breakfast to order. Dinner was very nice as well. Good food and a lovely selection of wines.
The special thing about the Farm Inn is the garden. A very spacious garden, well maintained. Lovely to have a stroll in there.

It was our first time in (South) Africa, so we don't have much reference to go by, but it sure did feel like a very nice place. Unfortunately, due to the security issues, it is not easy to just leave the premises and have a walk in the city. But the place is so nice that you actually don't really need to do that.

We were there with quite a large group and the staff was brilliant at providing a few extra's. Our group did a walk with a young loinness in their safari park and we had a nice braai amongst the lion cages.
One night we had our meeting group dinner in the restaurant and although it was not really arranged properly by our hosts, the kitchen staff did a great job and provided a really lovely dinner.

All in all a great place to visit, certainly totally different from your usual business hotel. Staff is very friendly and supportive. Food is good and the rooms are nice. The park and the garden are really very special. It felt more like a holiday resort than a business hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business