“Wonderful adventure!! I love The Farm Inn!”
Review of The Farm Inn

and 1 more site!
The Farm Inn
Ranked #19 of 73 Hotels in Pretoria
Erie, PA
“Wonderful adventure!! I love The Farm Inn!”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We spent the past ten days at The Farm Inn and I enjoyed every moment. The rooms are wonderfully African (with a touch of luxury). Waking up under a high thatched roof is a great experience! The breakfast buffet is one of the best I've ever had. The service is excellent. We ate all our dinners on site and the food was top notch. Most evenings we ate outside either in the formal garden or at the casual tables. There are safari trips offered on the hotel grounds. The pool area is well-kept and comfortable. And face it, waking up to the the far off sounds of lions bellowing to each other is just magical!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank eriemom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 3 March 2012

The Farm Inn is about an hour from the JNB airport it's a good place to wind down from a long trip to SA, plus it's in a peaceful setting. No need to leave the premises for your stay as all meals can be eaten on site. Rooms are appointed in African themed decor and many rooms have views that provide entertainment (wildlife). The breakfast buffet (included) is well done and includes made to order omelets. The dinners were not included, however both nights the food was excellent. However the service is in general very slow. The optional game drive is very affordable and despite the "captive" animals it provides a good introduction and is worthwhile.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the grasslands - not inward towards the inn.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Brasilia, DF
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I liked a lot the experience at Farm Inn, the hotel staff was extremelly helpful and friendly! Arranged for me and my group both transportation and bookings for the desired restaurants. Breakfast is excellent as well, possibly one of the best in South Africa, if not at least in Pretoria! This is a must visit hotel, they have a area were they rayse lions that can be seen and heard most of the time and if you are lucky you may also find some cubs!

My room was big, facing the green area that surounds the hotel and very calm.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I was with a group of six on business travel, 2 week stay. We selected this hotel because we wanted the African Experience. The hotel and grounds were indeed the African Experience. The hotel has an adjacent animal park, thatched roofs, cobblestone walks, large lawns, etc...all giving us the impression we were far from civilization. That was all quite interesting. Food and service was good. We ate once at the Garden Restaurant (lawn area) which was quite nice. Beware that some guest rooms are better than others. Traveling with a group of six, I discovered some rooms have air conditioning, most do not. Most have bathtubs with a separate shower stall, some have only bathtubs. In my room, there was no electical outlet in the bathroom. The area rugs were a bit used and needed cleaning. Hair dryers and electical adapters are available on request. Someone recommended 'Peaceful Sleep' (insect repellent). This help alot; I wish I knew about this on day one. Bugs seemed to find my irresistable. I slept with the windows open because my room didn't have air conditioning. I'm sure that didn't help with the bug issue as no screens on the windows.
So....if you want the African Experience. This is the place for you. If you demand all the comforts and niceities, then find another place.
P.S. We took a picture with Duma the cheetah. That was quite fun. Duma is quite tame.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with air conditioning
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Brisbane
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Unless you're from South Africa, you won't know 'Duma'... let me introduce you to 'Duma'.

Duma is a 12 year old Cheetah, who is the lead star in a movie by the same name. We were lucky enough to spend half an hour or so meeting Duma - a gift from my Aunt for our recent visit to her country. When we arrived at Farm Inn, we were shown to a lovely garden area where Duma was waiting for us, the closer we got the louder the purring got - it was, as if, he was actually excited to have visitors.

During our visit with Duma, we were allowed to pat, stroke, scratch, and take endless photos with him. He loves the attention and the feel of his scratchy tongue when he licks you is truly amazing - yes he licks too!!!!

If you have an opportunity to meet Duma - do it soon as he is getting old. But Farm Inn is currently training other cheetahs to enjoy these visits too. I'm unsure what the price is as this was a gift.

Room Tip: Check their website and request this well in advance to avoid disappointment.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Reviewed 20 September 2011

My husband and I stayed here in September. We thought the hotel was in the bush outside Pretoria but it's in the outlying suburbs. First impressions from the drive are a bit shabby.The rooms are nice and big. There is a large buffet breakfast with typical hotel food. Service is good one day, bad the next. There is no gym but you can go to the Virgin Active nearby.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MichelleD864
cape town
Reviewed 19 September 2011

The entrance gate looks run down, the security guards are rude. The road leading to the main building might seriously damage your car. There are security signs everywhere ... doesn't me feel very welcome. The place looks dated, everyone on this site says the rooms are gorgeous ... well yes, granted they are spacious but its as if if you've stepped into 1990, think the Fresh Prince of Bel Air. The food is mediocre. It feels as if no one has put any thought into the hotel for years. Service is not consistent. This is not a 4 star hotel by a long shot ... at best a 3 star.

Room Tip: choose the standard room ... if you like gaudy the luxury room
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business