“Comfortable, clean, friendly and brilliant value”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pretoria
1322 Backpackers International
Christchurch
“Comfortable, clean, friendly and brilliant value”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We recently spent 2 nights at 1322 Backpackers and I just wanted to say how Thank you for a brilliant stay. The lady who run the backpackers was helpful and really welcoming. The room was comfortable and clean and the kitchen/bathroom facilities were immaculate. The grounds were well maintained. Compared to others hostels in Pretoria - this hostel is streets ahead. Excellent value for money and the staff were top notch.

Thanks for an awesome 'home away from home'

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jettnova

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
kwazulu natal
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I stayed here for a weekend. Rooms comfortable, bedding a bit tired. Kitchen superb and clean. Entertainment area great. Management excellent, friendly service and a hive of information on where to go ect. safe and secure. Highly recommended and excellent value for money.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Brasil
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Friendly hostel with a great common area, with a great swimming pool, bar and barbecue, and a very spacious and well equipped kitchen. The staff was very helpful: we asked the girl at around 8 p.m. on Christmas Eve if she could book us a tour for the next morning, and she did it! The shared dorm was very confortable too, and bathrooms were very clean. It's located in a nice suburb, not much to do around, but it's within walking distance from the train station.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Göteborg, Västra Götaland, Sweden
Reviewed 15 November 2013

If you are going to stay at a backpackers in the Gauteng area, stay here!! The backpackers place is just 500 meters away from Hatfield Gautrain station, where you can really reach Pretoria, Jo´burg and the airport fast, easy and safe. The place it self is nice with a pool, bar and continental breakfast included. The Hatfield area is also a nice area to walk around and is quite safe becuase of the bars and students frequent it.The family who runs it is very nice, helpful, caring. One of the best places in South Africa to stay at..

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Secunda, South Africa
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

An excellent budget friendly accommodation. Very helpful staff, secure parking, use of great kitchen.
We have stayed here a few times as a couple and enjoy returning . Central location on the edge of Hatfield 15 min walk to the Gautrain rail station means that Loftus Stadium and Johannesburg Santon CBD or Rosebank are accessible.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We stayed here in August 2013 and were surprised at the quality of our accommodation- opting for a standard double with shared bathroom, we felt secure and looked after by the owners and staff and their very friendly dog/bear. Tours can easily be arranged from here, many at discounted prices. The complimentary Breads & Spreads breakfast filled us up for most of the day and free tea and coffee throughout was most welcome. With several supermarkets within walking distance, the kitchen and braai facilities were handy. Laundry is done by the load rather than by weight; excellent if you have accumulated a backlog of grubby attire. 10 min walk from Hatfield Station.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I ended up staying here after ridding the Shosholoza train which arrived at Park Town 8 hours after it was meant to, meaning it was dusk when we got there. That being the case I didn't really want to leave the train station so I ended up deciding my best bet would be to use the Gautrain to my advantage. I found this hostel was close to Hatfield Station so, knowing nothing else about the suburb, I decided to go with it.

As it was late I decided to ring before I arrived (unusual for me, but given the circumstances...) and luckily they had plenty of space for the time I needed. I asked if I could walk from the station to the backpackers, the lady who took my call advised that it was doable but a taxi might be a better option given it was dark. Being short on money and having already been through some tougher situations I decided to brave it. I was tired and walked there as quickly as I could with no incident.

Because the train had arrived late I didn't have time to draw any money so I didn't have enough cash to cover the cost. The lady who ran the establishment (I'm so sorry I've forgotten your name, you went on Holidays the next day so I only saw you once) was very understanding and said I could pay the bill the next day. She showed me where the kitchens, tv room, bathrooms and finally my dorm were before I put my gear away and settled at the bar. The bar area is quite nice (you can smoke at the bar!!!!!) expanding out to a covered braii area with plenty of table room. The bar staff will happily wet your whistle with there being a tab system in place and they'll even order you a meal.

All the facilities i found to be very clean and tidy. The internet was the best I found in Africa with the speeds allowing for more then one user to be on it at a time. The suburb as I found out over the coming days is home to a University and is very much party central. During my time there they blocked off the main streets and had a big street party which was a nice surprise. I found I had no trouble walking home each night at silly hours (2/3/4am) and would advise those worried about the security of Johannesburg to consider just getting the Guatrain to Hatfield.

Overall I found this place to be very pleasant and laid back, weren't heaps of travelers there but mostly foreign students/academics studying at the local university which was quite a nice change of pace. Would recommend to all!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo