“An amazing place to stay in Pretoria”
Review of Coral Tree Inn

Coral Tree Inn
Ranked #18 of 361 Pretoria B&B and Inns
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“An amazing place to stay in Pretoria”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I stayed at the Coral Tree Inn for 10 days and I really loved it, the place is beautiful, well maintained and nothing seems to be of an extra effort for the staff, the management (owners) really make you feel comfortable and most importantly go the extra mile for you, the house contains 6 amazing rooms which means I got all the attention needed as well as the confidentiality and privacy when needed. If I can summarize the experience in pros and cons:

Advantages:
- Really calm and secure place to stay in
- Clean; the room as well as the entire place is very clean
- Breakfast is to die for, ask Georges for a full traditional breakfast on the deck (when weather permits), the view is something!
- Hospitality of the management team makes the difference and makes it feel a warm place
- Braii or BBQ in African on the deck with friends gives you life time memories!!!
- Transfer from/to airport is also available (just ask for it)
- Above average WIFI network plus satellite tv
- excellent value for money, I paid less than 100€ per night for a 5 Star room

Areas for further development:
- as a guest house, it does not have a gym so if you are a gym addict, bad luck (may be an opportunity to give your muscle some rest)
- it does not have a restaurant in house, it is a B&B. nevertheless there are some outstanding restaurants down the road 400meters from the the place

Overall i really loved being at Coral Tree, it is definitely a place to come back to!

Management team, please keep it up.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Walid B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Although the Coral tree Inn was going through a renovation at the time of our arrival and we were the only guests, the place was still amazing and could easily deserve a 5 star rating upon completion.
It is located in the very upscale, gated community of Waterkloof Heights, with gorgeous houses and gardens, very clean and quiet.
The inn itself has a beautiful, original architecture, huge rooms and wonderful views from the terrace (where we had the breakfast served) and from our own balcony. We stayed in room # 1 which was very, large, had the balcony I mentioned, dark furniture, slate floors, large bathroom with shower and a large bathtub. The yard and the pool were in obvious need for maintenance and the entire place was a bit messy, but perhaps that was because of the renovation that was going on.
The person who welcomed us, George, did everything in his power to ensure that we had what we need, in spite of the mess around (we had to ask for a second bath gown which was promptly delivered, but a second pair of bath slippers was not to be found). He was kind, pleasant and very helpful.
Although the entire area is residential and a bit isolated, if you exit the house, turn left, exit the gate and walk about ten minutes, at the first crossing, on the right corner you’ll find a small mall with a good few restaurants, cafes and a place to buy groceries.
I shouldn’t end my review without mentioning Pantofi – a well fed, cute, brown and white bunny rabbit, who would love your attention.

Room Tip: Our room (#1) was very good and I doubt there are any bad ones
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank worldnomad_01
Paris, France
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Amazing house with local architecture and style, huge suites, quietness and view. I'm always eager and enthusiastic to go there, even after several weeks spent there in the past 4 years.

Gunther and his staff will do everything they can to help you, including very special braai/BBQ, and transfer to/from Joburg airport or any other place.
The area is very safe, and it's easy to get to a few restaurants on foot.

Indeed as commented in some reviews, there are exceptional electrical/maintenance/service hiccups, but hey! this is the charm of Africa :-)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank D F
Maseru, Lesotho
Reviewed 24 April 2013

I stayed at Coral Tree Inn for 6 weeks while on training at Glen Manor Office Park near Menlyn Mall, which is just about 4km away. I had a very wonderful hospitality from the owner Günther and very freindly staff, who were always going an extra mile to ensure that I was happy. It has got some breath taking views, as it is according to its location. With the free WiFi, I was able to be in contact with the world. As I was on study, it was relatively easy for me to do some research and communicate with my colleagues and it is quieter too, I could only here some melodious sounds of the birds. It is also a very secure area. I used to take a work to some restaurants nearby, for dinner. The place is absolutely a wonderful holiday destination.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Seeiso L
Bath
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Large,airy, wonderfully decorated house with stunning views over eucalyptus covered ravine/gorge. The room we had was big with all amenities including fruit and chocs! Staff really outstanding, nothing was too much trouble, they even made us a packed lunch when we asked. Good restaurants within easy and safe walk - we never felt anything but entirely safe. Guenter the owner did all our transfers for us, was welcoming, helpful and always available. Re;Emblpa's review - we had an hour of power failure (same week, different days) but that's because they had had a lightening strike, nothing to do with maintainence. We would highly recommend this superb BnB. HnA

Room Tip: All rooms good size and comfotable
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angela385
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2013

The inn is in a large fenced in and a well policed community and to get into the property good additional security is present. Waterkloof Heights is a well-heeled part of Pretoria and has the air of a premier suburb.
First impressions of the inn were favourable with a warm welcome from a Zimbabwean chap called George. He deals with the day to day visitor care and really does a great job and nothing is too much trouble for him.
I got inadvertently upgraded and the room I was given had a good African feel about with dark furniture, slate floors etc. The room was large and airy with good quiet air-conditioning. There was also a nice sized balcony overlooking a pool. The bathroom was enormous with a massive bath and separate shower plus a nice sized dressing area. The room area was kept reasonably clean and the linen always spotless. #again all supervised by the hard working George.
Breakfast was served on the stoep overlooking the valley below. The breakfast itself was a very good multi course freshly cooked one served attentively by George.
Downstairs there is a nice sized bar area for socialising.
A couple of very good restaurants were within five minutes walking of the property and come recommended.
Unfortunately for me there were several problems and other points that were totally unsatisfactory
The halfwit who had my room previously locked the room safe so we couldn’t open it and it took the owner over 24 hours to finally open it for my use. It was not the owners fault the safe was locked but the lack of urgency in opening it was unacceptable.
The property had a major power failure after 24 hours and we had no electricity for around 8 hours until partial power was restored with repairs continuing full power was only available two days later. A simple maintenance programme could have eliminated that.
The pool was a murky dirty green colour the whole of my stay with mould on the pool walls and algae on the bottom of the pool along with countless leaves and other debris.
The garden area looked like a freshly cut hay field with grass, sand and stones on the steep steps down to the garden. The ‘flower beds’ were bare of all but a couple of what looked like cabbages and weeds so that looked poor.
I handed in some laundry and that took three days to come back but when it finally returned it was fine. The power failure caused the delay.
Whilst part of what was wrong with the property could be attributed to the power failure, most of the problem can be put down to poor management that left George in an often unenviable position.
The place overall would be lucky to make a three rating if it was rated on my experience. It could be so good but is let down by poor ownership management.
Based on my stay I could not in all honesty recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Emblpa44
Liège
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Hello,
I found the Coral Inn Hotel at the last minute. Upon arrival, I was warmly welcome with a smile by the tender. The hotel is made a few rooms (6) and is managed by a local couple. The room, the living place, the balcony, everything was nice with a local touch. The feeling of confidence and safety makes you feel at home and for me, it's the most important.
I will for sure go back there during my upcoming trips in the area.
M. Colasse