“Atrociously managed hotel - wasted potential - beautiful grounds”

Sandton Lodge Rivonia
East London, South Africa
“Atrociously managed hotel - wasted potential - beautiful grounds”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed for 4 days in this hotel. It looks so lovely in terms of the setting BUT the service and the way it is managed in beyond a joke.

1) We had 3 rooms booked. On entry into one room (on Sunday 9th night in Room 6) - the beds were not made up - no duvet on, no sheets etc. The guard showing us to the room was embarrased and had to get a room changed. Total joke. no-one had inspected the rooms to check they were ready for guests. This is total basic hospitality management.

2) My shower (in room 3 hotel manegement - for you too look at explore) had long black hairs in the shower. I have short brown hair. The shower was never cleaned for FOUR days. I lifted the toilet seat up and what I saw would make you vomit...

3) A good meal in the restaurant was totally spoilt waiting for TWENTY minutes to get the bill and another ten minutes to get change. yes - 30 minutes.... That was on Monday 9th night in case management care.

The breakfast was amazing, the potential is amazing - but this place is not worth even half of its money and totally ruined by the total substandard of service.

I would LOVE management to respond to each of these points, so much. There was so shortage of staff during our stay... the issue was how they were doing their jobs and being managed.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Midrand, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

I would like to thank Sandton Lodge Rivonia for my wonderful stay on the 16/06/2013. I was extremely impressed by the friendly welcome accompanied with a bottle of wine which certainly put my wife and I into much needed relaxed frame of mind. I also have to compliment the staff as they always had a smile on their dial and were ever so willing to accommodate our requests. I was blown away with the fact that I was notified about an hour after checking out, that I had left an item in the room. Thanks for this service, I really appreciate it.
We really enjoyed the peace and tranquility at the lodge and will be sure to recommend Sandton Lodge Rivonia to our friends, business colleagues and associates.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ron P
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

Hotel only 5 mins by car from Sunninghill Hospital and offers a wonderful contrast to the hospital - the gardens are glorious; the atmosphere peaceful; the rooms clean; and the staff friendly and accommodating. I stayed here whilst visiting a very ill brother who, when he was discharged, needed to remain near the hospital. He joined me here and the staff couldn't have been better - cooking his special meals, etc. His recuperation was greatly helped by being in this atmosphere and tranquility. Recommend this hotel to anyone who's needing somewhere quiet, functional and friendly to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PenelopeD_13
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PenelopeD_13
East London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

This establishment has such a wonderful ambience, ootential is in every corner, big yard, space, big dining hall, lounging areas. As I came into the establishment, I was greeted by different groups working around in what seemed like break-away sessions from a couple of conferences in the establishment. There is some life and imagination that has left this place, the rooms are quite big and I did get room service when I ordered and didn't have to wait long, but there was this lack of energy in the place. I was meeting a colleague in the outside foyer, no one offered us anything to drink, we were left alone (ignored) for hours!! The bathroom was tiny, my knees touched the bathroom when I sat down, I am not sure how this could have been installed in the first place. There is so much wrong with this place, it's difficult to find a right thing, except the front desk team both the young lady and the gentleman that comes in the evening, very attentive, but its not enough if the rest of the team isn't engaging.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
sandtonlodge, Owner at Sandton Lodge Rivonia, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your feedback. We are always extremely grateful to our guests for their comments and criticism as it helps us to improve our service and determine where we are lacking.

Just before your review was written I had noticed the areas that you mentioned in your review, particularly the areas regarding our staff. For this reason we have employed another manager to ensure that our level of attention to our guests is improved, he in fact began on 11 March 2013. It is this persons responsibility to ensure that the staff are where they are supposed to be at all times and to be able to pick up the service to our guests especially when we are busy.

As you have probably noticed we cater to the business community and have many groups coming through that conference with us and are also staying with us. The demands on our staff definitely increase during these times and therefore it has become necessary for us to increase our staff compliment and ensure that management are attending to our guests at all times.

As a result of this our public relations and attention to our guests has improved. Our staff are more motivated and encouraged at all times. It has also resulted in having more responsible eyes looking out for the small things that are so important. So rooms are inspected more frequently and possible issues are resolved before the guest has to experience them.

As mentioned, thank you for your review. I hope that you will consider using our establishment again and seeing the improvements that we have made.

Bridget Hansen - Owner Sandton Lodge Rivonia
Western Cape, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

My company recently used Sandton Lodge - Rivonia for delegates to stay over for a few days during meetings. I have NEVER come across such bad service from all departments. Also rooms with no numbers, blocked shower and fraid and old towels.

There was one lady that ran around trying but eventually then gave up. To get something to drink or service during lunch and dinner took forever and it always seemed like its way to much to ask from the staff.

Rooms are ok, but very very noisy!

We arrived back from a Restuarant one night and the gaurd got very aggressive with us at the gate and didnt want to let us in, this despite the fact that I shoed him my card for the room door.

This place will never see me again!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Rivonia hotels

Cape Town Central, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012 via mobile

Our company uses this venue as the preferred venue when we travel to JHB from all the regions. Have stayed there 8 times in 18 months. Every time it seems to degrade a little more. This time: no numbers on the rooms in the one wing. Broken toilet seat in my room. Blocked drain in my shower. TV channels not working. I suggest the CEO watches an episode of under cover boss and stays in his own established for a couple of nights.

• Stayed October 2012
sandtonlodge, Owner at Sandton Lodge Rivonia, responded to this review, 31 October 2012
Once again we regret the experience by this guest. It seems that we have fallen short in our service over the same period.

The guests concerns are valid and we have addressed them. As previously mentioned we have had some staff challenges especially in housekeeping with two staff members being unavailable due to retirement and illness. We hired two temporary staff members who have not worked out due to their non-compliance of our procedures. We try to check all the rooms prior to guests checking in, however some guests do check in prior to this having been done. Staff are required to bring to our attention damaged items, such as linen or items in the room, however the temporary staff where not doing so.

There are also matters which arise which are brought to our attention by guests, such as, plugs not working, blocked drains, light bulbs, remote controls. It is unfortunate but in most cases we do not realise that there are problems until such time as a guest advises us. We have in fact attended to all the concerns raised in this guests review, such as the blocked drain and we haired a professional drain company to sort this out for us.

I am sure that the next experience by this guest will be completely different and as per policy we attend to every concern and suggestion that a guest raises.

Again, if these items are brought to our attention, particulary senior management we would attend to them immediately and hopefully our review would be very different.

Thanking you for giving us the opportunity to address these issues.

Bridget Hansen
Owner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rivonia
Road Lodge Rivonia
#1 of 6 in Rivonia
La Vieille Ferme
La Vieille Ferme
#2 of 6 in Rivonia

Been to Sandton Lodge Rivonia? Share your experiences!