“Waste of 4 stars, poor quality.”

Sandton Lodge Rivonia
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Waste of 4 stars, poor quality.”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

On arrival there was no even able to help me to my room with my bag. Great way to meet me after a busy day of meetings. We arrived to find no toilet paper, only two thread bare towels and no complimentary water in the room. In Johannesburg this would be a norm as the drinking water from the tap is disgusting. We had call housekeeping to ask for toilet paper. No shower caps are provided for a 4 star rated Lodge! Stingy does not describe the size of the shower gel provided as well.

When requesting two additonal towels, only one more was delivered, no reason as to why the other was not. Additionally there was no hair dryer in the room, which we had to request for and the next morning. The municipality cut the water ( no fault to the Lodge) the next. morning. Hot water only ran from the shower when you opened the faucet in the basin, but this had to be dine each time you ran the shower, a waste of water and inefficient.

There was mould on the shower floor tiles, surely the cleaning staff can use a brush and some elbow grease to have this removed? It looks nasty and is a health hazard.

Breakfast was alright, besides for the poor service and tables that were not cleaned after use by other patrons. I fail to understand why staff cannot place milk jugs on the tables instead of making you walk up and down, as well as the sugar. Could they not serve you the tea or coffee either.

To pay R560 pp a night is ridiculous to experience this service after travelling 12 hours on the road. I would not recommend this to anyone who wants to relax or escape or even travel for business.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the bottom, otherwise you will need to take your luggage with you as no staff membe...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AnushkaSB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
East London, South Africa
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed for 4 days in this hotel. It looks so lovely in terms of the setting BUT the service and the way it is managed in beyond a joke.

1) We had 3 rooms booked. On entry into one room (on Sunday 9th night in Room 6) - the beds were not made up - no duvet on, no sheets etc. The guard showing us to the room was embarrased and had to get a room changed. Total joke. no-one had inspected the rooms to check they were ready for guests. This is total basic hospitality management.

2) My shower (in room 3 hotel manegement - for you too look at explore) had long black hairs in the shower. I have short brown hair. The shower was never cleaned for FOUR days. I lifted the toilet seat up and what I saw would make you vomit...

3) A good meal in the restaurant was totally spoilt waiting for TWENTY minutes to get the bill and another ten minutes to get change. yes - 30 minutes.... That was on Monday 9th night in case management care.

The breakfast was amazing, the potential is amazing - but this place is not worth even half of its money and totally ruined by the total substandard of service.

I would LOVE management to respond to each of these points, so much. There was so shortage of staff during our stay... the issue was how they were doing their jobs and being managed.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Rivonia hotels

Midrand, South Africa
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I would like to thank Sandton Lodge Rivonia for my wonderful stay on the 16/06/2013. I was extremely impressed by the friendly welcome accompanied with a bottle of wine which certainly put my wife and I into much needed relaxed frame of mind. I also have to compliment the staff as they always had a smile on their dial and were ever so willing to accommodate our requests. I was blown away with the fact that I was notified about an hour after checking out, that I had left an item in the room. Thanks for this service, I really appreciate it.
We really enjoyed the peace and tranquility at the lodge and will be sure to recommend Sandton Lodge Rivonia to our friends, business colleagues and associates.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ron P
London
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Hotel only 5 mins by car from Sunninghill Hospital and offers a wonderful contrast to the hospital - the gardens are glorious; the atmosphere peaceful; the rooms clean; and the staff friendly and accommodating. I stayed here whilst visiting a very ill brother who, when he was discharged, needed to remain near the hospital. He joined me here and the staff couldn't have been better - cooking his special meals, etc. His recuperation was greatly helped by being in this atmosphere and tranquility. Recommend this hotel to anyone who's needing somewhere quiet, functional and friendly to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PenelopeD_13
London
Reviewed 8 April 2013

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PenelopeD_13
East London
Reviewed 9 March 2013

This establishment has such a wonderful ambience, ootential is in every corner, big yard, space, big dining hall, lounging areas. As I came into the establishment, I was greeted by different groups working around in what seemed like break-away sessions from a couple of conferences in the establishment. There is some life and imagination that has left this place, the rooms are quite big and I did get room service when I ordered and didn't have to wait long, but there was this lack of energy in the place. I was meeting a colleague in the outside foyer, no one offered us anything to drink, we were left alone (ignored) for hours!! The bathroom was tiny, my knees touched the bathroom when I sat down, I am not sure how this could have been installed in the first place. There is so much wrong with this place, it's difficult to find a right thing, except the front desk team both the young lady and the gentleman that comes in the evening, very attentive, but its not enough if the rest of the team isn't engaging.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
sandtonlodge, Owner at Sandton Lodge Rivonia, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your feedback. We are always extremely grateful to our guests for their comments and criticism as it helps us to improve our service and determine where we are lacking.

Just before your review was written I had noticed the areas that you mentioned in your review, particularly the areas regarding our staff. For this reason we have employed another manager to ensure that our level of attention to our guests is improved, he in fact began on 11 March 2013. It is this persons responsibility to ensure that the staff are where they are supposed to be at all times and to be able to pick up the service to our guests especially when we are busy.

As you have probably noticed we cater to the business community and have many groups coming through that conference with us and are also staying with us. The demands on our staff definitely increase during these times and therefore it has become necessary for us to increase our staff compliment and ensure that management are attending to our guests at all times.

As a result of this our public relations and attention to our guests has improved. Our staff are more motivated and encouraged at all times. It has also resulted in having more responsible eyes looking out for the small things that are so important. So rooms are inspected more frequently and possible issues are resolved before the guest has to experience them.

As mentioned, thank you for your review. I hope that you will consider using our establishment again and seeing the improvements that we have made.

Bridget Hansen - Owner Sandton Lodge Rivonia
Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed 15 February 2013

My company recently used Sandton Lodge - Rivonia for delegates to stay over for a few days during meetings. I have NEVER come across such bad service from all departments. Also rooms with no numbers, blocked shower and fraid and old towels.

There was one lady that ran around trying but eventually then gave up. To get something to drink or service during lunch and dinner took forever and it always seemed like its way to much to ask from the staff.

Rooms are ok, but very very noisy!

We arrived back from a Restuarant one night and the gaurd got very aggressive with us at the gate and didnt want to let us in, this despite the fact that I shoed him my card for the room door.

This place will never see me again!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rivonia
Road Lodge Rivonia
#1 of 6 in Rivonia
Muco Guesthouse
Muco Guesthouse
#11 of 11 in Rivonia

Been to Sandton Lodge Rivonia? Share your experiences!