“Believe the hype” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 12 Rivonia B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Believe the hype”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

I'll keep this uncharacteristically short because it's all been said. A fantastic stay.

-Grounds are lovely; pool, bird feeders, gardens…

-Rooms are small (I had a standard) but well appointed. I wasn't sure why so many people commented on the comfort of the beds, but yes, the beds are amazing. I don't know why… I even discussed it with the manager. Beyond a comfortable mattress, the quality of the cotton on the sheets is outstanding. I wanted to take the bed home with me. The only negative was that I couldn't get internet in my room, though it was fine elsewhere.

-Staff: extremely friendly and accommodating. I chose to stay here because a reviewer said they had been allowed a late check-out with no problem. Mine was extremely late, and they couldn't have been more helpful. The manager even gave me a lift in her car because I was stranded without cash. It's the little extra things…

I had desperately tried to change by flight to avoid staying in Joburg on my way back to NAmerica from Cape Town, but in the end I'm glad I wasn't able to. The day I spent lounging in Rivonia was the perfect way-station in a gruelling trip home. Full marks.

Room Tip: I imagine the closer rooms have better internet, and some have balconies whereas mine just had a ver...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
jillymSouthAfrica, Owner at Rivonia Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
We were delighted to read your comprehensive comments. We have travelled a widely thus we realise the convenience of a late check-out when departing flights leave late at night. So glad you enjoyed the comfort of the beds and as far as our managers and staff go, they always go that extra mile. We salute them for that. Warmest regards. Gerard & Jill & the whole Rivonia B&B team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

My first stay at this venue. We stayed at one of the self catering rooms with a kitchenette. Good clean well furnished room. Very nice bathroom with shower and glassed shower, lots of hot water, beautifull gardens teeming with bird life and the breakfast fantastic value. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us. We look forward to your next visit, which we hope will be soon. Best wishes from Gerard & Jill Marais and the Rivonia B&B team.
phoenix, arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

I had previously traveled to Johannesburg but this was my first stay at Rivonia B&B. What an experience: from check in to check out, my stay there was superb. I would rate the overall appearance and comfort level of the room as exceptional. It was tastefully decorated and had a lovely patio in which I drank my early morning coffee. The breakfast offered by Rivonia B&B was also a winner. It offered a full array of cereals, juices, pastry's and breads as well as a hot breakfast cooked to order. Outstanding. The grounds were lush and well kept and it was a pleasure to just walk around and enjoy all of the colorful plants. The facility was outstanding but it would mean nothing if the staff were not up to par. And they were. I truly felt that my well being and comfort was their concern. They were responsive whenever I ventured into the office with a request or a need. Would I recommend Rivonia B&B? Yes, Indeed and I will book there again on my next visit to Johannesburg.

Room Tip: There are rooms on ground level as well as on the 2nd. floor. I prefer the ground level rooms due to...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
jillymSouthAfrica, Owner at Rivonia Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Your comments are much appreciated. Praise makes us glow. The fact that you loved the rooms, the breakfasts, our gardens and our staff really motivates us to try even harder. We hope to see you again soon.
Sincerely. Jill & Gerard Marais and the Rivonia B&B team.
Westlake Village, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

We planned to arrive in JNB several days before beginning our twenty day Grand Circle Tour. Wanted to find a place in a nice neighborhood where we could relax and get used to the 11 hr. time difference. We had friends who had stayed at Rivonia B & B and highly recommended it. We could not have been more pleased! The staff was amazing. They all made you feel right at home. Girard and Filltah suggested places to visit and arranged for private tours for us.
Their breakfasts were fantastic--such a wide variety of delicious food. We enjoyed the one dinner that we had there (they don't serve dinner on weekends). Girard recommended a nearby restaurant and arranged for transportation.
The gardens are quite beautiful and are designed to attract local birds which added to the charm.
The rooms are comfortable and quiet.
All in all, we loved our stay and would highly recommend the Rivonia to anyone. It would be good for families as well. Girard and Filltah could not have been more friendly or accommodating.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We're so glad you enjoyed your stay at Rivonia B&B. Thank you for your warm recommendation. The bird-life in the garden is quite spectacular some mornings. We feed our feathered friends daily. Greetings to California and do visit again! Very best wishes from Gerard, Jill and the Rivonia B&B team
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

my husband and i recently visited South Africa for a 2 week holiday and we stayed at the Rivonia B & B it was lovely great rooms staff excellent and breakfast was yummy we live in New Zealand and will definately be back again in SA in the near future and will most definately staff at Rivonia B & B thank you for making our holiday so enjoyable

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We look forward to your next visit. So pleased you enjoyed your South African stay and that we contributed to making it memorable. We have 7 new luxury rooms (freshly built & superbly furnished) just waiting for your arrival. Sincerely. Gerard & Jill Marais & the Rivonia B&B team
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

We stayed here last year on our way to Malawi with our 4 kids. Been meaning to post a review about how good it was, only just got round to it. What a fab place. It feels so relaxed and chilled out, and the staff are soooo welcoming and will go out of their way to help. Nothing was too much trouble. And the food was brilliant, the breakfasts are the best I've had anywhere in the world. If you're staying for the evening, you MUST have dinner there too, lovely homecooked food.

It was so good we booked on our return through Joburg 3 months later - the staff were so welcoming on our return, we were greeted with "welcome home" and it truely felt like it. They even threw in some upgraded rooms!

Could not have wished for more.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
jillymSouthAfrica, Owner at Rivonia Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
What a lovely surprise! Our staff are thrilled with your comments. We agree, Zani & Trust do rustle up the most awesome dinners. We hope to see you again soon. Best wishes from Gerard & Jill Marais and the whole Rivonia B&B team.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

I stay for three nights and I wish to compliment the staff on their friendliness and professionalism in dealing with myself .
The rooms are clean and airy and offers the traveler all the necessities required for a relax and comfortable environment.The garden setting is beautiful and relaxing after a hard days work.Fellila arranged that I use the lounge area to conduct some business interviews which I thought was more than adequate and she went out of her way to ensure that the B&B met my requirements
Will definitely return and recommend this establishment to friends and business associates.

Regards
Joao de Freitas

• Stayed November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We value your kind words. Thank you for mentioning our excellent staff, our rooms and our gardens. We take pride in our establishment and it is most encouraging to receive enthusiastic feedback. Muito Obrigada. Jill Marais, Gerard Marais and the whole Rivonia B&B Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rivonia
Road Lodge Rivonia
Monarch Hotel
Monarch Hotel
#2 of 70 in Johannesburg
Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa

Been to Rivonia Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!