“Excellent Service”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Rivonia
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Excellent Service”
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I often book short term crew members for a TV show into the Road Lodge Rivonia - I have only received positive feedback from them. To top that, the GM is always on top of his game, quickly & effectively responding to queries. I especially appreciated the gesture of being credited an amount that we had paid towards a reservation and didn't end up using. Not very many establishments are willing to do this! Well done!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ClaireSmuts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 March 2012

This place is relatively cheap and nice to stay in. Staff are friendly. Breakfast will feed you until you are full. AC in the rooms! Nice.

Not the most private of bathrooms, just a sliding door. Shower is pretty much in the bedroom.

Helpful, friendly and supportive staff.

Secure car park.

I have stayed here on multiple occasions. The last time I booked I had to cancel and at the time of booking they said non refundable, however when I got home after my trip they had refunded me. Very happy about this! I will return!

Room Tip: Rooms on the side facing the main road are a bit more noisy, best to go for a room facing the car-pa...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul W
Gaborone, Botswana
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Hello.

i stayed in Road Lodge in Rivonia this past November in a non-smoking room for 2 nights. I have to be honest, I was so disappointed with the fact that the room was smelling of cigarette and by the time I checked out I had a blocked nose and terrible headache. I used to stay in this Lodge back in 2005 and the standard has gone really low considering that a non smoking room is like a smoking room..
This January I stayed in Road Lodge in randburg and there is a huge difference, the non smoking room I stayed in did not smell of smoke.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 9 September 2011

Had to visit Modderfontein which does not have a hotel. So the taxi dropped me there. Filthy and comes with bed bugs. An insult for the average guest.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Rivonia hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Stayed here for 1 night prior to joining a tour. Hotel public areas were clean, rooms a bit on the small side and quite noisy as we were on the road side, but adequate for 1 night. The staff are slow but to be fair they are everywhere in South Africa. Breakfast poor once the 1 pot of coffee between 30 guests has gone that's your lot, best get in early.
That's the good points now the bad. Do not order a taxi from the hotel staff we asked for one to be booked, the staff discussed who to ring for 5 minutes, we agreed a price on the phone at time of booking, when the taxi arrived we confirmed the price which had increased 150 rand to 450 rand for a 40km round trip, on return the price once again increased to 900 rand which we refused to pay, so we returned to hotel and confronted the hotel staff re agreed price, the driver was well known to all the staff and the girl who booked the taxi then lied through her teeth. We agreed on a price and that was the end of it. However the so called taxi remained on the hotel car park until we left the following morning and the driver was seen around the hotel. I believe he is an hotel employee and the so called taxi (it has no markings) is in fact the hotel courtesy bus. Not a good first experience considering we'd been in the country for 4 hours.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Minty50
Chichester Uk
Reviewed 12 August 2010

My mum and I stayed here for one night before our Safari tour started. First of all they tried to tell us our transfer was not included, even though I had been assured by my travel agent it was. Secondly, we needed to get to a medical centre on the first say (long story!) so we used the same taxi driver that transfered us to the hotel (he seemed to be known to staff in hotel, and mey even have been emplyed by them?) We asked him how mich it would be and was quoted 20 rand. I told him we did not know how long we would be and rather than him waiting for a long time, if we thought we would be a while we would let him no and give him a call when we wnated to be collected. We were rather a long time so 3 times my mum went out to try and find him, but he was nowhere to be seen. After about 50 minutes we were finished when he shows up. We were taken back to the hotel then told that the cost would be 200 rand as he had had to wait! We protested but felt we had to pay!

The next morning we had to get up very early as our Acacia tour started. We had been told the previous night that breckfast was included but thought we would be to early for it as was ready by 6am. We waited in the lobby and I asked if I could have a drink to take some medication. The man behind the desk said that breakfast was ready and to help ourselves. So we both had a bowel of cornflakes and some scrammbled egg with ham and cheese with a cup of coffee. The the same taxi driver came in, looked at us and said something to the man behind the till that we could not understand. Immediately after this the mandfrom behind the counter came over to us and told us that the breakfast had not in fact been free and we owed them 45 rand each! This we really did protest about and fortunately our tour guide arrived and stood up for us!

Accomodation overall was very mcuh like cheap travelodge and staff unfriendly. Overall a poor stay in an awful hotel set out to rip off tourists!

• Stayed July 2010
4 Thank JoandBarry
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 July 2010

We've booked in advance before checking in. The place is very far from anywhere you want to be, if you're a tourist (it's near Soweto, known not to be a safe area). Directions are hard to find to actually get there for the first time.

We arrived in advance and weren't given a room till the Check-in time of 11am, although they had vacant rooms. Rooms are just enough space for you to stretch your arms wide. The bathrooms don't even have space for that.

If you want lodge quality, go for it. But definitely not this one, unless you plan to travel down South of Johannesburg.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank the_0ne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rivonia
Road Lodge Randburg
Riverbend Country House
#42 of 68 in Johannesburg
Town Lodge Sandton-Grayston Drive
City Lodge Hotel Fourways

Been to Road Lodge Rivonia? Share your experiences!