“Don't stay here!!”
Review of Road Lodge Rivonia

Road Lodge Rivonia
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Rivonia
Reviewed 30 November 2013

This place is a joke!! Stayed here one night back on Nov. 2nd as our tour departed here the next morning. When we arrived after traveling all day, took the front desk staff(three people at the front desk) almost 10 minutes to find my reservation. One girl said we did not have a reservation. I had to give her the printout. Then after they finally acknowledged they found the reservation, they asked for our passports. My wife has a brazilian passport. One of the girls, after seeing it was a brazilian passport, turns to one of the other girls and starts shaking her whole body and dancing shouting BRAZIL!! Totally inappropriate and completely insulting. Then after the fact they have all of our info on their sheet including passports and contact info they wanted us to fill it out again. I finally told them you have everything. Then supposedly they said the reservation was not paid for. My travel agent told them it was paid for. It turns out that central booking for this chain made 2 reservations at the city lodge airport hotel instead of 1 night at the airport and one night here. They made us wait another 40 minutes. I offered to pay for it now so we did not have to wait any longer and we could figure it out later. They would not allow us to do that. I don't understand why they would not allow us to go to our room if it was being settled one way or another. The manager named Valerie walked by us during all of this about 4-5 times. I was getting upset with the front desk. I asked her you hear us getting upset with the front desk and they are not doing their job, why won't you do something? Her response was not that she was busy, but she had too many things in her hands????? I told her about the girl who made the inappropriate remark and after talking to her she she just liked my wife's hair. If that was the case, then why was the comment not about her hair? Since when is shaking your whole body have complimenting somebody's hair? After the whole situation was explained to her she made no effort to help or expedite us checking in, or even allow us to go to our room. We just had to sit there while the incompetence took place right in front of us. They could care less.

As for the room itself, super tiny. There is a pocket door that separates the bathroom and bedroom. you can barely fit in the shower. there is no elevator. the hallways smell of cigarette smoke and the carpet is pretty worn. I could deal with all of that, but the rude, insulting, and incompetent staff and manager have insured I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ScottinLA50
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at Road Lodge Rivonia, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

We're sorry you did not enjoy your stay and will certainly look into the points you have raised.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We ussually stay at Rivonia Road Lodge, for 1-2 nights when we're just passing by Johannesburg.
Although the hotel is not very nice we stay here because of the location and the vicinity and the price.
The rooms are very small, the carpets are grimy, shower is very dirty (I always bring along my flip-flops and wear it to shower) and is water logged after one person showers, toilet would be very diffult for a larger framed person to sit on! Besides a tiny bar of soap, no other amenities are offered. the Hotel staff's are just average.
The Hotel is not comfortable if travelling with kids!

The breakfast is nothing to write home about, and because its not halal, we ussually take a drive up to MacDonalds for breakfast, there are no restaurant faicilties for lunch or dinner. But there are ample restaurants in the vicintiy.

A while back between in 2012, we spent a night there and it was a stormy night. When we woke up the next morning, we noticed that our car had been broken into, and the ignition was burst in and the windscreen was cracked. The Hotel management immediatley told us that it was no fault of theirs, and we park there at our own risk! What rubbish! What do they have a security guards there for?

My husband still prefers to stay there, however, beacause of the location! Go figure!

I have noticed that that previous responses by the management to reviews on Trip Advisor are that guests should chose the Better quality Town Lodge or City lodge for a better stay- instead of just cleaning up their act!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank N-Adam-Kabir
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at Road Lodge Rivonia, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Thank you for staying with us - we will definitely look into some of the points you have raised.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

Initially I was disappointed; no bar, small rooms and poor internet. As my four nights progressed I realised that with Rivonia village close by and with the price of the rooms, the hotel was actually a very good staging post to explore the locale. Montecasino is one junction down the motorway and a rather inexpensive 'Spur'steak restaurant lies within a short walk towards the motorway.

The cab drivers attached to the hotel are friendly and allow prices to be negotiable, they knock off early so get your bids in.

Breakfast is OK and relatively cheap.

For hotel snobs it's a nightmare, for travellers and explorers it's a revelation.

Room Tip: Get off the ground floor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Johngledson
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at Road Lodge Rivonia, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2013

Thanks for staying with us - perhaps next time you might prefer to stay in a Town Lodge or City Lodge, both of which have more features and facilities.

Reviewed 25 May 2013

This accommodation was booked for me admittedly at very short notice and without realising that It was a one star facility. The rooms are small with limited amenities that basically consist of one tiny bar of soap. Beds are extremely uncomfortable and the pillows are lumpy / very thin. When we complained about the pillows they did attempt to rectify the situation by adding a third lumpy pillow. There is no hair dryer in the room. No tea or coffee making facilities in the room and as reiterated earlier just one tiny bar of soap. Breakfast is very basic processed cold meats and processed cheese. Hot breakfast consisted of sausage and scrambled egg. I realise you get what you pay for but quite frankly I would prefer to pay extra hence my moving to a bed and breakfast for the final night of my stay. The upside is that the staff are all VERY nice from the security guards through to front desk / management. I left my I Phone charger behind on check out which they found and retained for me which was most appreciated. Would I stay there again NO. Would I recommend it unfortunately not.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank LesleySzabo2
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at Road Lodge Rivonia, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2013

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you found our staff so helpful and friendly. Next time you may want to book into a Town Lodge or City Lodge where you will get more features and facilities, but will naturally pay a bit more for these.

Reviewed 11 April 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this budget hotel on a recent unplanned overnight trip to Johannesburg with the wife. We arrived late at night and needed to leave first thing in the morning so we needed something easy on the pocket, this hotel did the trick. The location was ideal for our early morning visa interview at the Sandton CBD being right along Rivonia Road although this didn't help the noise levels. If possible ask for a west-facing room.

The rooms were clean and the room was standard. Our room was on the 2nd floor which can be tricky for long stays with a lot of luggage in the absence of an elevator at the hotel. I would recommend it to someone who needs a basic, clean hotel while on a short stay in Sandton.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Sechabakou
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at Road Lodge Rivonia, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2013

Thank you for staying at our hotel and for your review.

Reviewed 1 February 2013

We arrived into South Africa to start a tour the following day and had an over night here. The staff are lovely and the hotel was very clean. The rooms aren't huge and it feels more like a motel, but we were so tired we just wanted to relax. You can order food to be delivered from local pizza place or walk ten minutes up the road to local bars and restaurants which are very good and have free wifi. There is also a supermarket there if you want to get your own food to take back.

The hotel has a snack and drink machine if you want something little.
Breakfast the next day was fine and we wished we had more time to explore Lilliesleaf, the secret HQ of the ANC in Mandela's liberation time, which was in the next block.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Lucy V
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I spent 3 nights at Jonnesburg durin the Africa Football games and did not have many hotels to choose. The team is very friendly and assisting and the hotel is comfortable as a place to shower and sleep. Breakfast is not included in the hotel price and so is the ... INTERNET!!!! Could not believe it nowadays! Breakfast is continental but sufficient.

Room Tip: Take the side opposite to Rivonia busy street.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rivonia
The Oasis Boutique Hotel
Signature Lux Hotels
Signature Lux Hotels
#28 of 46 in Sandton
Mercure Johannesburg Midrand Hotel

Been to Road Lodge Rivonia? Share your experiences!