“Very good again”

Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
sussex
“Very good again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stayed in this hotel a couple of times and it really is fantastic

I did have a problem when checking in as I had a pre-paid rate from when I booked via the Club Carlsson website. Its a strictly pay in advance, no cancellation rate, so when I checked in I was shocked to find they wanted to charge me again and secure the whole booking. Claiming they had not taken the payment, yet I booked and paid 2 months earlier. As it happens sometimes the hotel doesn't actually take the payment. This is awful as you as a pre payment guest believe you have paid when sometimes you may not have done. If they have a pre payment rate they must do that and not mislead clients into thinking they have paid months before and cause issues at check in. Its very misleading and quite honestly can cause the hotel problems it not ought to have...why do they do this I do not know. Especially for business travellers

Very modern hotel, only built 3-4 years ago for the football world cup timing, so no complaints about decor.

Great location and plenty of parking underneath. The rooms are modern and of a good size but will say that the air-con isn't as powerful as it ought to be. Nice lively bar area, however be careful, as I had a room on the 14th floor (the 13th floor is reception and the bar) The problem with this is that the hotel layout is a very open high centre with rooms going around the outside facing inside. Bit like the inside of a ship...So you get a lot of noise at night when the bar is full as the sound echoes throughout. Ok if you get a high floor but do try and avoid a low floor.
The restaurant..hmm...great breakfast selection, but the usual slow inattentive (but friendly) service. the staff to like to huddle together and chat and laugh at the expense of guests left waiting for just the basics like coffee or an extra plate/knife. Please don't let this put you off, this is South Africa and you will find very friendly but forgetful sloppy service everywhere.
Sadly when eating one evening I had a starter that had raw king prawns, that wasnt right, they were supposed to be cold but not uncooked (grey in colour), so when I sent it back I chose another starter. That was cold when it should have been hot so third time lucky, I had a decent starter. The chef came out, apologised personally and that was a lovely touch. he was so friendly and sorry, I felt guilty!
Overall its a great hotel, and the only reason i am not giving 5 stars is the slow internet, noisy bar, poor aircon and bad dining experience, but would defo stay again

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
General M, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Good Day,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton on TripAdvisor.

I would like to apologise for the complications you experienced upon check in and do hope that our reception staff were able to assist you accordingly. We will be sure to allocate you a room away from the atrium for future visits.

I am disappointed to hear about the poor service in the restaurant and unfortunate starters, however this has been addressed with the team in order to ensure this does not happen again.

I would like to again thank you for your feedback as this will assist us in improving our all round service in the hotel.

I, along with my team, look forward to welcoming you back to Johannesburg in the near future.

Eirik Bergvoll

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Nairobi, Kenya
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Having stayed at this hotel on more than 10 separate occasions I'd say it passes as a solid business hotel, good location, reasonable food and service. Internet is ok however some rooms have subpar wi-fi coverage.

Despite the above on my last stay, one of the staff rummaged through my luggage and stole a cologne and left my bag jumbled up. I reported this to the front desk with a very definite time slot of approximately 6 hours between checking in at 15:00 leaving the hotel and coming in the evening to find things were not as I left them. The saddest part is the case was treated as if its a regular occurrence, no on seemed surprised.

As I checked out 2 days later the case was still 'under investigation'. I followed up with multiple emails and the standard response was 'we are still investigating'. 9 business days later i got an email saying "unfortunately we are unable to resolve the alleged loss... blah blah blah"

The loss of property is one thing but the reaction thereafter is just pathetic - I'll be avoiding this hotel like the plague for my future stays

1 Thank Njoroge S
Good Day,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is important to us.

I do hope that you will reconsider your decision and stay with us upon future travels to Johannesburg and allow us to restore your faith in our property.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed for 3 days during a business trip. The hotel was centrally located and provided decent services. There was a round trip shuttle service to the near by Nelson Mandela Square. But I found the staff somewhat curt. I wasnt sure if this was the local communication style or me reading it wrong but it was felt by my team as well. Other than that, the hotel was great. Good, clean and well maintained rooms. As many of the others have written, it was good but nothing special or great.

Room Tip: The elevators are slow so I suggest taking a room closer to the 12th floor (reception)
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
General M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience on Tripadvisor. We are also happy to read that you appreciated our rooms.

We apologize for the disappointment you felt with our staff. We work hard to make sure our guests receive our best service and I have spoken to all my departments regarding this.

We sincerely hope to host you in the near future and please follow us on Facebook and Twitter (@RadbluSandton) to stay informed of our upcoming offers.

Nairobi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Nicely located close to Sandton Mall, I think of this as a great gym (three floors, pool, running track....) with an adjacent hotel, so if you need to have a solid workout, this is my favorite hotel in Sandton. The hotel is very correct, large rooms, great breakfast, good service, but not necessarily charming or lively.

Room Tip: High up gives a beautiful view of Sandton and all the way to CBD in Joburg
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
General M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience on Tripadvisor We are extremely delighted that you considered us to be a hotel of a high standard especially our Fitness Centre.

We look forward to hosting you in the near future and please follow us on Facebook and Twitter (@RadbluSandton) to stay informed of our upcoming offers.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

check in staff are rude and unhelpful.... not the best welcome arriving at hotel a first thing in the morning after a long night on a plane.
Hotel itself has good security in that you cannot access rooms without a room key. However the majority of rooms look out over the atrium (noisy sports bar) and despiet the check staff weakly trying to reassure you that ''noise doesn't trivel pest the fourteenth floor'' (south African dialect) believe me IT DOES!
Happy hour is a nice touch and if the bar staff served guests in the final ten minutes of happy hour instead of standing there as a talking clock telling you the time and that happy hour ends soon there wouldn't be the confusion and grief when you are then told that 'happy is now over' and that you didn't get your drinks order in in time...... This is not a constructive approach.
Food and service in the restaurant is ok - mediocre with service being quite slow. The 'manana' approach to service appears to be in employment here.
I would stay here again based the fact that security is good, the rooms are comfortable, clean but not quiet. Also the step up into the bathroom is a hazard!
I was offered ear plugs at check in with my room key - never a good sign really.

Room Tip: request a room away from the lifts and the atrium.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience on Tripadvisor. We are saddened to hear about your disappointment with the service you received. We also apologize for the noise levels and I have discussed your concerns with all the relevant teams as we work hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and strive to fulfil their needs to the best of our ability.

We sincerely hope to host you in the near future.

Victoria, Seychelles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

A good functional hotel. Well located with a convenient shuttle to the Sandton City and Mandela Square attractions which are also perfectly walkable in the day time. The Gautrain station is also an easy walk which was convenient to do a day trip to Pretoria. A nice park across the road too. Food and drink is reasonably priced and nice enough although a single restaurant limits choice. The lift arrangements are very secure but otherwise a bit of a performance. Reception on the 13th floor has to be an unusual feature compared to anywhere!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
General M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience on Tripadvisor. We are also happy to read that you enjoyed the surroundings and appreciated our unique design.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Im here on business, I travel to Jburg once a month and will never use this hotel again.
The room advertises wifi, yet after I am checked in and unpacked there is a handwritten note in the room: "wifi doesn't work in this room". Why was I not told on check in? Impossible for a business stay.
The shower drain is blocked and floods the bathroom floor after a 2 minute shower.
The hire car company drivers got lost, leaving me late for meetings while driving circles. My destination was not uncommon. I called back to the hotel while we were lost on the road and no one was able to help or direct the driver.
Only 1 treadmill in the gym works, with people there before work, it's impossible to use the equipment.
All in all this hotel isn't suitable for a business trip when you need efficient and convenient service.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience on tripadvisor. We are saddened to hear about your disappointment in the Wifi service and drainage in your bathroom. I have discussed your concerns with the relevant departments as we work hard to make sure our guests are comfortable.