“Poor service”

Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg
Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I completely agree with the recent review from Goldfish86.

I, too, have been a regular customer to the Radisson Blu Sandton and have found that the service needs to improve for a hotel of this category. In particular, the service at the restaurant is just well below par. Simple things like clearing the table at the right time, asking the right questions, etc. are done in a very unprofessional manner. Some proper training is required here.

The rooms are ok, albeit subject to noise from the hallway.

The spa is more of a fitness centre that is not exclusive to hotel members. I had to buy a swimming cap for $80 to use the swimming pool. Does not sound like top service to me either...

All in all, definitely not the best Radisson Blu I've stayed in.

1  Thank magellanes1521
General M, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Good Day,

Thank you for reviewing the Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton on TripAdvisor.

I am sorry to hear that your experiences with us have not been up to standard.

I have addressed your concerns with the necessary management in order for us to improve on the services we offer. We are grateful for your feedback as it allows us to address the areas of concern.

I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Johannesburg.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

after a previously dismal stay we spent 3 nights in the 3 bedroom penthouse and I have to say that the hotel redeemed itself. The use of kitchen and washer dryer was helpful as was the lounge/ upstairs/ downstairs area. We did have to request a Nespresso machine and pods which should be a standard feature. The lack of bathroom doors may be a bit disconcerting for those who do not appreciate full open plan designs but overall the penthouse was great. The restaurant and front office staff have improved dramatically but the self service coffee machine in the restaurant was a bad mistake... it cannot deliver a decent espresso and this needs to be rethinked.

Room Tip: as high up as possible
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Good Day,

Thank you for reviewing your most recent stay with us on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to hear that we have redeemed ourselves and look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

We have some amazing views from our penthouses and am happy that you were able to spend a few days taking this in.

I will be sure to comment the restaurant and front office staff on their improvements and encourage them to keep up the great work.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

I am a regular guest at this hotel, but purely due to the proximity to my office in Johannesburg. I have therefore experienced multiple stays, interacted with many different people - however, my impression was always the same: Mostly unprofessional service.

- The people providing good service are the maids cleaning the rooms. They are really thorough and very nice, e.g. coming back at exactly the time you want them to.

- Restaurant: The restaurant service is horrendous. When you ask for a coffee, you get sent to a self-service machine. Also, waiters take your cup/plate away even though you haven't finished.

- One-touch-service /concierge often doesn't answer or only answers after the 5th call.

- Room service: Simple things like getting a couple of teabags when I was ill once required a 10-minute negotiation with the room service staff. This is absolutely ridiculous.

- Reception Staff: Although I'm a regular guest they ALWAYS misspell pretty much my entire invoice address leading me to have trouble with my expense claims. Also, when my colleague lost (had stolen?) an item of clothing at the hotel, they didn't do anything about this and claimed that it was her own fault.

Apart from that, the hotel as such is laid out in a very unfortunate way leading to rooms being VERY noisy (thin walls / connecting doors, proximity to elevator or alternatively proximity to bar - these are the alternatives).

Rooms are ok, but not well maintained, i.e. a lot of broken lights / missing lightbulbs, beds too small for the pre-installed nightstands, so that you cannot reach there from the bed, etc.

While the gym is good, they are still advertising an Amani Spa that is no longer there - so don't advertise it.

Good things are the free internet and the free shuttle to Sandton City (which most hotels in the area offer)

All in all, I wouldn't stay at this hotel unless you have to because you work nearby.

Good Day,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton on TripAdvisor.

I am sorry to hear that your experiences with us have not been up to standard.

This is a concern for us however it gives us the opportunity to address the areas that you have mentioned to us in order for us to improve on the services offered.

I do hope that you will notice an improvement in the weeks to come as we embark on improving our standards.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future when your travels bring you back to Johannesburg.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stayed here last week whilst here on business. Rooms were a good size, bathroom great. Everything very clean and comfortable. Even a decent speed of wifi, which for SA is no mean feat. Usually stay nearer the airport as it's handy for work, but I will def stay here next visit as it's worth the 30min commute for work.

Good Day,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and tried us as a new choice of hotel.

We continuously strive to provide unique ''Yes I Can!" Service to all our guests and hope that you experienced this too.

I am also pleased that you were happy with the size of your room, cleanliness and experienced great internet speeds.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton when you return on your next trip.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

This hotel is outstanding value and during our two day stay could not fault it. The shuttle from the Gautrain and to and from the Sandton shopping malls was a bonus,always on time and friendly. The dinner we had on the first night was good as was the service.we can understand why President Obama stayed here!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
General M, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Good Day,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and happy to hear that your service was good all around the hotel. We continuously strive to improve our service standards in order for our guests to feel at home away from home.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I am a sucker for great service and the Radisson offers exactly that hence I love this hotel so much. Keep up with the amazing service you provide and the friendly stuff that you have( I personally think that was one clever business move because its killer).

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels
General M, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Good Day,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton on TripAdvisor following your most recent stay with us. Your feedback is highly appreciated.

I will be sure to pass on your compliments to the staff and am very proud of the team for their efforts in ensuring your stay with us was a memorable one.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Eirik Bergvoll

Reviewed 29 June 2014

While the hotel is fairly new, it is clear that it has not been properly maintained. Service is ok for South Africa. Definitely not a 5 star property, more of a 4 star.

There is a shuttle that can pick you up from the Gautrain station and drop you off at the nearby mall for free, chichi is rather handy.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
General M, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Good day,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate your comments and will be continuing with our soft refurb during the course of this year.

I am delighted to hear that you made use of our complimentary shuttle which ensures our guests are kept safe whilst staying with us.

I look forward to hosting you again when your travels bring you back to Johannesburg.

Eirik Bergvoll