“Clean centrally located hotel with friendly staff”

Garden Court Sandton City
Ranked #10 of 46 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Recently stayed October 17 for 4 days with a group of 18. It is located across from a huge mall that has plenty of great restaurants to choose from, Movie Theater and a Bingo Casino. Try Ocean Basket in the mall for the best sea food. The breakfast in the hotel is great with plenty of items to choose from. The homemade waffles are a real treat. The rooms are on the small side compared to what I am used to in the US but comfortable and clean. All hotel staff was friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
RedLinz, General Manager at Garden Court Sandton City, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. It is sincerely appreciated. I agree, our hotel is ideally located for shopping and entertainment and I am glad that you took advantage of that.
I am sorry that you found the bedroom was a bit small but I hope that you had all the comforts of home.

I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in South Africa

Reviewed 23 October 2013

The wait-staff at Riffs were very good and so was the food.
I don't know why they advertise a shuttle to and from the Gautrain. We asked at 7:15 a.m. if a shuttle could be arranged for 8:00 a.m. and were told to check back after breakfast/just before 8. When we did, the receptionist phoned for the shuttle and then told us it would be 45 minutes wait. So we walked to the Gautrain with our luggage (thank goodness for wheeled suitcases).
When we arrived in the room, there was an empty cup on the floor in the corner. We put it on the dresser and there it stayed for 4 days (not sure whether it was clean or dirty).
We had just stayed in a Southern Sun hotel in Cape Town and everything there was first class, so the Sandton property was a disappointment.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. It is appreciated and aids in ensuring that our service levels are improved.
I must apologise for the inconvenience caused with regards to the Gautrain shuttle. I assure you that it has been addressed with the front desk team.
My housekeeping team will also ensure that bedrooms are properly cleaned and checked on a daily basis.
I am glad that you enjoyed your dining experience at Riffs Bar & Grill, our new baby.
Thank you again for your valuable feedback.
I sincerely hope that you will be back again in the near future.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Our family spent a weekend here in October 2013, and we were once again reminded why this has been our favourite Johannesburg accommodation for the past 10-15 years.
Pros:
* Location: The biggest draw card for us is the close proximity to the Nelson Mandela Square with its discerning shopping and dining options (only a 2 minute walk away). Although of lesser importance to us, one could also mention that the larger Sandton City shopping centre is a 5 minute walk away, and that the hotel is very close to the Gautrain Sandton station (although only a 5-10 minute walk, we preferred to rent a vehicle at the Avis nearby since we were carrying luggage).
* Value for money: There are numerous alternative accommodation options in the area, but this hotel still presents the best overall value for us.
* Internet Wi-Fi access.
* Good but basic breakfast.
* Access to the hotel gym.
Cons:
* The timeous servicing of our room was our biggest gripe: we left the room at 09h30 and returned exhausted at 14h30 to an untouched room. When the service lady arrived shortly afterwards, she casually informed us that she was late because she had gone on lunch!
* The breakfast staff were not quite up to scratch (I had to explain 3 times to a kitchen staff member what a "hard over" egg meant, etc.).
* One front desk employee was not very helpful when we needed to print our airline boarding passes; however the duty manager fortunately came to the rescue in this instance!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your valuable review of our hotel. I am so glad that you continue to support the hotel and value your patronage.
As an ecomony hotel, we pride ourselves on providing Great Service and all the essential amenities. We are continuously monitoring and improving on our service and appreciate honest feedback.
It is however unacceptable for you bedroom not to have been cleaned by 14h00 and I assure you that this has been addressed and resolved with our Housekeeping team.
I am glad that the duty manager assisted with printing your boarding pass and my team should have assisted with a voucher for the business centre to enable printing.

I sincerely hope that you will be back again soon and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

The hotel is very situated in the Sandton City region. If it were not for its location I would never returned to the hotel again. I am use to this hotel and in the past the hotel had an excellent service. The last two times I went in the service was not at the same standard. First, the concierge and the reception seems to keep on passing the ball to each other. At the breakfast you are not greeted with the same standard everyday, which use to be the case. The hotel has renovated but the staff service level has regressed. It prones for free internet but one day it was out for almost 12 hours. They do not tell you about the free shuttle to and fro the Gautrains Station, and even the staff said it is because of cost cutting, if you know you know if you do not then you lose! The tap of the shower was broken and even after complaints no repairs done! You can buy extra internet package but the connection speed is horrible for broadband! Some staff are very pleasant and helpful but others just stay put, you come in the concierge is neither there to greet nor propose to take your bags! I hope they increase the standard back to before!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank DanyChung
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here fore a total of five nights (divided into two occasions).

The hotel is conveniently located at 2 minutes walk from Mandela Square and 5 from the Gautrain. Rooms as well as the hotel is in good condition in general. Breakfast fast is also good.

However, service has room for improvement (which seems to be a general problem in RSA). For instance, on my first stay they thought I was only staying for one night when checking in, despite that I've booked three nights. This was settled taket quickly, or so I thought at least. However when returning to the hotel next day I found my room locked as they thought I soul would only stay one day. I sorted that out.., or do I thought, because later the same evening I got a call from the reception asking if I was going to check out any time soon.

They have free wifi which is a clear plus, even though it was down for one day.

The restaurant, the Riff, is surprisingly good.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jan B
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I stayed for a week at this hotel. The room was huge and very clean. I was on the 8th floor and had no noise issues. I also had a wonderful view of the sun rising every morning. The staff was very warm and helpful. The breakfast was amazing, with lots of variety! I would definitely recommend this hotel

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Stayed for 2 nights. Our towels were removed and not replaced. None answers the housekeeping phone. Eventually got hold of someone that promised to deliver towels. 30 min later still no towels and no one answering any of the extensions again. Even the duty managers phone goes to voice mail. Took to walking the floors where I found a housekeeping cart en took some towels. Hopeless !

1  Thank Charl1544