“Brilliant place to stay and simply lovely people.”
Review of Claires of Sandton

Claires of Sandton
Ranked #2 of 79 Sandton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I must apologise to Zodwa and Chantal for not delivering this review earlier but have been so busy at work since returning to London on August 7th.

This is one of the nicest places that I have ever stayed at. If you, like me, work in London you will find the prices charged here for superb rooms simply unbelievable. To think you would pay £150 pounds for a Travelodge room and I paid £53 a night for 4 nights

My room was lovely and the bathroom is enormous! Everything is so clean and fresh. I had some very good sleep here!

Don,t forget to use the lounge which I did. It,s really comfortable and there is an honesty trolley with some really nice drinks. A good selection of books too.

Unfortunately , due to the fact that I have heart problems I could not eat breakfast but you can see from other reviews it is very highly rated.

One factor for potential clients to consider is that Claire,s is not walking distance to Sandton. I know that a number of contributors to this site have said you need a car to stay here. I can understand that point but as somebody who does not drive or have a car in England I have to say I coped fine here. It cost me in British pounds £15 a day return to Sandton Gautrain station. It may seem like a lot of money but I thought it was very reasonable. Added on to the room price it made it £70 a night. I was very happy with that!

The Gautrain is brilliant and I used it everyday to visit Johannesburg, Pretoria and Rosebank. Must admit without this train I don,t know how I would have explored butt that,s no reflection on Claire,s. I would still have been stuck if I had stayed at the ridiculously expensive hotels in the middle of Sandton.

So well done to the Gautrain. Those of you who commute and work in London......let,s just say we could only dream of such a lovely train!!!

Finally, it,s the people who make anywhere. I am currently single and have stayed at places where that status makes you feel unwanted. Definitely not here! I was treated brilliantly.

If finances permitted I would love to visit Johannesburg again and I would book Claire,s without hesitation.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Claire B, Owner at Claires of Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

It was a delight meeting you and thank you for allowing us to be part of your trip to Johannesburg.
We do our best to ensure a quality stay and that our guests get individual levels of assistance.
Watching you plan your days out and the amount of sightseeing you did, was quite incredible.
A good book, a good whiskey and a comfy couch make for a great day and we are glad you took some "down time" to relax.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

A comfortable bed, a clean bathroom, enough hot water and a friendly staff, these are the requirements needed when travelling on business. Claire's ticked all these boxes with ease. A really enjoyable stress free stay. Nice people..

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

We are delighted that we "ticked all the boxes" which made for an enjoyable stay. Thank you for your comment regarding the hot water, it seems our new geyser system is working well.

Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights on our way back home. Reviews were more than right. Thought it was overrated, but it is not at all!
Superfriendly and personal staff, excellent breakfast and luxurious rooms!
Beautiful garden as well, you don't even feel like being in the city.
Had some stuff in a locker on the other side of town and they even picked this up for us without any extra charge.

• Stayed: August 2013
Claire B, Owner at Claires of Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Happy travellers, we were happy to assist with bringing your luggage over for you.
When returning from safari, many of our guests appreciate our comfortable rooms.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

We were welcomed with a smile when we arrived. Everyone was very helpful as this was my first time driving in Johannesburg. The staff went out of there way to assist us. The Breakfast in the morning was 5 star and also the hospitality at the Guest House.

I will recommend this B & B to anyone that would go to Johannesburg....

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Claire B, Manager at Claires of Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dankie Louis, it was fun helping you navigate your way through Joburg and we look forward to meeting the whole family later this year.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

I can't speak highly enough of this wonderful place hidden away in Parkmore. The rooms were spacious with a very comfortable bed and free wifi. The bathroom had twin sinks, lovely long bath and a powerful shower.

The swimming pool in the beautiful gardens looked inviting but as it was the middle of winter in Joburg, I didn't brave it. On a summers day, it would be wonderful.

Breakfast was superb with fresh fruit, cereal and cooked breakfast all on offer. There was always a good selection of tea and coffee.

We had a hire car so the location wasn't a problem. If you want to eat out, the restaurants of Sandton are a short drive away or there is also a large "Pick and Pay" supermarket a couple of minutes drive away.

Next time I'm in Joburg, we'll definitely look to stay at Claires.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

You are such a wonderful family and we would love you to return to Claires. Your next visit has to be in Summer so we can all enjoy a barbeque and swim.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Had read the reviews and they don't lie. Lovely surrounds - eating the excellent top quality breakfast whilst watching the birds outside was a great experience.

Service was friendly but excellent. The room was spacious, well appointed and very comfortable, as was the bathroom. Would always stay if we returned to Johannesburg.

Room Tip: We stayed in an upstairs room.
1  Thank 507ChrisJ

Thank you and we would love to have you stay with us again. With Spring in the air, the birds & flowers are beautiful and a treat to watch.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Reading all the reviews on Claires had us a bit suspicious at first--could any place actually deserve these ebullient comments? Having decided to take the plunge after poring over 30+ hotels/inns/B&Bs in the area, we were happy to find that all was consistent at Claires with what others had written.

We were hoping for a quiet and relaxing few days in Joburg, and our stay at Claires was exactly that. We liked that it was removed from the hustle and bustle of the city center, and for the gentleman from Iowa who was complaining about the location: perhaps next time you should do your research on Google maps before picking a place (also, in case nobody told you, here in South Africa you should be thankful for those high walls and electric wires--they keep you safe).

For the rest of us, why choose a hotel when you're going to get all the same amenities at a more picturesque place with friendly staff that comes with free wi-fi and a scrumptious complimentary breakfast? Also, the staff graciously upgraded us to the biggest room at no extra charge simply because it was available; in my book, that should be filed under "best practices in B&B management."

Tip: Claires is more of an ideal accommodation for those bringing their own cars. While it sounds easy enough to arrange for cab services, I can see the location being a bit of an inconvenience for those who like to be out and about. Parking is available and complimentary.

All in all, we are definitely going back when we visit Joburg again.

1  Thank Esther Y
Claire B, Owner at Claires of Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

We so appreciate your high praise and are glad that you loved your upgrade. I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed my crash course in the "truth behind" Greys Anatomy and have asked my local video store to order in Scrubs.
We look forward to seeing you two soon.