“Fantastic Guesthouse in Sandton”
Review of Claires of Sandton

Claires of Sandton
Ranked #2 of 78 Sandton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

I have now stayed here a couple times. The staff is fantastic and go above and beyond to make your trip enjoyable. Don't hesitate to ask for suggestions for things to do around JNB or really any of SA. They are a wealth of knowledge and I ended up having a great time in Lesotho taking their advice. The house is great, the breakfast is one of the best you will find in a guesthouse in SA and the location is perfect if you want something close and quiet in Sandton. Highly reccomend.

• Stayed: September 2013
Claire B, Owner at Claires of Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Your enthusiasm and spontaneity are a breath of fresh air. Thank you for choosing Claires and for allowing us to participate in the planning of your holiday. We look forward to seeing you again, either in Jo'burg or Helsinki!

There are newer reviews for Claires of Sandton

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Stayed here on another business trip, not our first stay here, which says it all. The "office" under the trees, at the pool, in the garden was an absolute pleasure! Zodwa and Chantelle made us feel so welcome and nothing was too much trouble for them. Situated in a quiet area, lovely spacious rooms and fabulous breakfasts in the morning, the view of the birds from the dining room was a real treat and a great way to start the day.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Claire B, Owner at Claires of Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

We love having you stay with us and appreciate your kind words. Your "office under the trees" is the perfect way to start the day, especially on a beautiful spring morning.
We consider you part of the family and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

We only stayed there for 1 night but had a great time there.
Excellent breakfast, great rooms, very comfortable! And the staff is extremely friendly!
The only "negative" thing is that the number of restaurants near the accommmodation is very limited!

Anyway, if I would travel to Jo'burg once again I would choose this guesthouse again!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

We delighted that you enjoyed your night with us and found the room very comfortable. We look forward to welcoming you back to Claires and hope that you will allow us to introduce you to a few local restaurants.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

Stayed there on a business trip and was absolutely delighted. Very nice atmosphere in well rounded guest house with pool. Working evenings at the pool was truly a delight.
Zwoda and Chantal were always helpful and always cheerful no matter what, which was always a great start to the day. Still have not figured out when Zodwa sleeps as she is always there to help (with a big smile on her face) day or night.
The breakfast options were quite varied considering it is a guest house and it was quite a lot. I have had a lot worse in many big hotels. Having breakfast with the birds was also always a great start to the day (Claires has a bird feeding tray right outside the breakfast room).
Rooms are rather big for a guest house and absolutely spotless. This goes for the bathrooms as well.
I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs are a bit more quieter and they look down to the pool which is quite nice.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

We so appreciate your review and that you noticed the energy and attention of the staff means so much.
As we head for Summer, the swimming pool is a real treat and the evenings on the veranda are glorious.
When I showed Zodwa your review, she smiled and said "we have great guests!".

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Not the first time we've stayed at Claires and that speaks for itself. Always a warm welcome, great breakfast's and very comfortable rooms in a very quiet location so ideal for a good nights sleep. I would happily recommend to anyone. Liam from London.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Claire B, Owner at Claires of Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

A regular visitors recommendations are always special to us, thank you!
We look forward to updates on the move and perhaps a visit during school holidays?

Reviewed 21 August 2013

I must apologise to Zodwa and Chantal for not delivering this review earlier but have been so busy at work since returning to London on August 7th.

This is one of the nicest places that I have ever stayed at. If you, like me, work in London you will find the prices charged here for superb rooms simply unbelievable. To think you would pay £150 pounds for a Travelodge room and I paid £53 a night for 4 nights

My room was lovely and the bathroom is enormous! Everything is so clean and fresh. I had some very good sleep here!

Don,t forget to use the lounge which I did. It,s really comfortable and there is an honesty trolley with some really nice drinks. A good selection of books too.

Unfortunately , due to the fact that I have heart problems I could not eat breakfast but you can see from other reviews it is very highly rated.

One factor for potential clients to consider is that Claire,s is not walking distance to Sandton. I know that a number of contributors to this site have said you need a car to stay here. I can understand that point but as somebody who does not drive or have a car in England I have to say I coped fine here. It cost me in British pounds £15 a day return to Sandton Gautrain station. It may seem like a lot of money but I thought it was very reasonable. Added on to the room price it made it £70 a night. I was very happy with that!

The Gautrain is brilliant and I used it everyday to visit Johannesburg, Pretoria and Rosebank. Must admit without this train I don,t know how I would have explored butt that,s no reflection on Claire,s. I would still have been stuck if I had stayed at the ridiculously expensive hotels in the middle of Sandton.

So well done to the Gautrain. Those of you who commute and work in London......let,s just say we could only dream of such a lovely train!!!

Finally, it,s the people who make anywhere. I am currently single and have stayed at places where that status makes you feel unwanted. Definitely not here! I was treated brilliantly.

If finances permitted I would love to visit Johannesburg again and I would book Claire,s without hesitation.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

It was a delight meeting you and thank you for allowing us to be part of your trip to Johannesburg.
We do our best to ensure a quality stay and that our guests get individual levels of assistance.
Watching you plan your days out and the amount of sightseeing you did, was quite incredible.
A good book, a good whiskey and a comfy couch make for a great day and we are glad you took some "down time" to relax.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

A comfortable bed, a clean bathroom, enough hot water and a friendly staff, these are the requirements needed when travelling on business. Claire's ticked all these boxes with ease. A really enjoyable stress free stay. Nice people..

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

We are delighted that we "ticked all the boxes" which made for an enjoyable stay. Thank you for your comment regarding the hot water, it seems our new geyser system is working well.