“Disaster - Tladi Lodge”
Review of Tladi Lodge

Tladi Lodge
Ranked #22 of 81 Sandton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 November 2013

After having read some excellent Trip Advisor reviews on Tladi Lodge and seen the photos on their website, I booked their Fish Eagle Suite for 10 days from 21st October. Ian and Sylvia were accommodating and perfectly courteous, however the suite looked tired, a good paint job is required and the bathroom (shower door etc) could be updated. We ordered a pizza for the first night as we were late in, and sat in the lounge, only to find ants everywhere on the sofa, and worse still in the bed. This continued for a few days, despite insect spray, and finally Ian called in the pest control, however the problem continued, and not very pleasant sharing your accommodation with a bunch of ants, in your bed, shoes, clothes.

To top off this wonderful experience, on our last night there, we found another unwelcome guest in our room, a mouse! It took Ian and my husband over an hour to find and get rid of the mouse. This s not the level of service we expected at the market prices we were paying. On our last day, due to the issues we'd had, we asked Sylvia whether they would refund a couple of nights off the stay, and we were told absolutely not, which is fine, but then please provide the level and quality of service that we paid for.

I never expected 5 star service at Tladi Lodge, but I certainly didn't expect ants and rodents in our room either. I could live with the tired looking room, but find animals and insects unacceptable at the level of the lodge. Ian and Sylvia - I hope you update and get rid of the problems.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sshah23920
Ian H, Owner at Tladi Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Fortunately our rating on both Trip Advisor and Booking.Com tell us that we are not doing as bad a job as you make out.

I do appreciate that there are areas were can improve and we have taken note of these, but I feel that your hysterical reaction to tiny, harmless ants and a baby field mouse have resulted in an overall low score that is not a true reflection of Tladi Lodge, our staff and us as owners. You need to understand this is the rainy season in Africa and you were staying in a more natural environment than you might experience in a highrise hotel. We have pets and are are trying to encourage the owl population so we have to be careful how much poison we spread around.

I agree that it is not acceptable to have ants in the room, but please be aware that we had just had very heavy rains the day before you arrived and these ants often come out after the first rains of the season. I did not ignore the problem and did everything possible to rectify the situation. I also presented you with a very good bottle of red wine and an apology note that you did not even have the grace to acknowledge.

The mouse was not a great experience and I am sure you would not believe me when I tell you this is first occasion that a mouse has ever been found in a guest room in our 10 years of business. You say this was not the level of service you expected - well I did get out of bed at 10:30pm to sort out the problem and did not give up until I found the mouse.

Sylvia and I took exception to your husband threatening to post damaging information about us if we did not give you a 30% discount, and on this basis decided not to offer any discount.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

My husband I recently returned from a fabulous safari in South Africa. We spent a day in Johannesburg at the front end of our trip as well as at the end. While there, we stayed at Tladi Lodge. It was a perfect starting point to our great adventure. The lodge is absolutely beautiful, peaceful and comfortable. Sylvia and Ian did everything they could to accommodate our wishes including organizing day trips to Soweto and the Apartheid Museum and the rest of the staff made us feel like family. We highly recommend the Tladi Lodge...we can only hope to return there soon!

Marianne and Fred Azinger

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fred A
Ian H, Owner at Tladi Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Thanks for your kind words. We are pleased we were able to add to your memorable trip and hope to see you in South Africa again soon.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

My one-night stay at the lodge was a memorable experience - The decor and amenities are of the utmost quality and are exceptionally well-maintained. My hosts were gracious and more than generous.

Tladi lodge is undoubtedly my preferred choice and I would gladly visit there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ferdinand N

Thanks for taking the time to review Tladi Lodge.

We look forward to hosting you again on your next visit to Sandton,

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Before my first visit to Johannesburg I took time to read reviews of many hotels and lodges and the best ones were for Tladi Lodge. Having now stayed there several times (and with the full intention of staying there again regularly) I can now understand why the reviews are so good and why they are merited. Great accommodation, excellent food, warm and friendly atmosphere. All can be attributed to Sylvia and Ian.
Stewart P

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Stewart P

Thanks for taking the time to review Tladi Lodge. We are pleased you enjoy staying with us and look forward to hosting you again next week.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Tladi Lodge is well situated for Sandton area. I choose to stay there because its more comfortable and 'like home' than a hotel which is generally a very sterile environment. Ian and Sylvia make one feel at home and they provide a very relaxed atmosphere, and a great breakfast! The rooms, whether big or small, are comfortable and well furnished. All that one needs.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Clothier5
Ian H, Owner at Tladi Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Thanks for taking the time to review Tladi Lodge.

We trust we will continue to ensure that you feel comfortable and relaxed at Tladi Lodge.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

Even though my stay was brief, I felt right at home and the owners, Ian and Silvia, are great hosts. The location is very convenient, and I would recommend Tladi Lodge to anyone looking for that "home away from home" feeling.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Wes M
Ian H, Owner at Tladi Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Hi Wes,

Thanks for taking the time to review Tladi Lodge. We look forward to hosting you again on your next trip to Sandton.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

I spent a week at Tladi Lodge and really look forward to my next visit, I was made to feel as if I were part of the family by Ian and Sylvia yet still maintaining the executive feel of a six star hotel. It was convenient and well located with quick access to the Gautrain and other evening locations. I would highly recommend Tladi lodge as a business or family destination.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Ian H, Owner at Tladi Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for taking the time to review Tladi Lodge. We are pleased you enjoyed your first stay with us and that you rate us so highly. We look forward to hosting you on your next visit to Sandton.