“Great spot in the heart of the suburbs”

Southern Sun Hyde Park Sandton
Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Auckland, New Zealand
“Great spot in the heart of the suburbs”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We stayed here in April this year for five nights and were very impressed. Having the Hyde Park Shopping Centre next door was also very convenient. Breakfast was a great spread every morning and even though we were placed near the elevators found it very quiet, so a ten out of ten from me!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tweedd
Michael K, General Manager at Southern Sun Hyde Park Sandton, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such a great review on your 5 night stay with us and even more so the
" ten out of ten" comment, we do hope you visit us again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Nairobi
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I stayed at the Southern Sun Hyde Park Sandton for 4 nights while in Johannesburg for business. The check in was very quick and efficient, in less than 5 minutes I had my room key.
The room was always clean and welcoming. My room faced the car park, not much for a view but quiet.
The room service staff were amazing - fast and very courteous
The house keeping staff also provided me with an ironing board and iron very quickly.
At first my telephone wasn't working but the technical staff sorted out the problem quite fast.

My only complaint is with the breakfast service I received. I was always ignored during breakfast by the waiters/waitresses and I had to stand up and go ask for tea on two of the three days that I had a sit down breakfast. I observed that other guests had their requests taken even before they sat down. Also, on my last day, I had requested for a breakfast pack as I had an early flight. I called the night before, filled out the form and the duty manager informed me that the pack would be ready at 5.30am since I was departing at 6am. At 6am, there was no breakfast for me and I was being requested to wait till 6.30am for the same.

All the same, I would recommend this hotel for its convenience and cleanliness.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank NjenvaHeimi
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your honest freedback on your stay at Southern Sun Hyde park.

We are glad to hear that your stay was nearly perfect and take the pointers mentioned as areas to high light with my team, its with your kind of comments that we can learn and get the service delivery right so that next time you visit we can hopefully score a 'perfect'.

Thank you for taking the time to share your views on your recent stay.

Kind regards
Reviewed 23 June 2013

The hotel has a beautiful roof top bar area with a wonderful view of joburg. Perfect spot for afternoon cocktails on most days. However I was disappointed when I was there with a few friends for a evening out of drinks and they run out of a key ingredient for one of the cocktails, especially since they don't have a very wide variety of cocktails. It was quite early in the evening which was strange for us that they wouldn't have enought stock ? We were celebrating a special occasion so that was quite disappointing not what we expected from the Hyde Park Southern Sun.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Bongi,

Im really glad you think we are a great spot for cocktails ,I do hope you will return in the near future for a round on my bar team to make up for not having your prefered cocktail on the last celebration here at our bar.

Please feel free to let me know when you may visit again.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2013

My frind and I booked into this hotel as it was close to the wedding we were attending on the weekend. On arrival we were early so sat upsairs in the bar which has an awesome view of the surroundings. we were not there very long before being told the rooms were ready (11am). As we had travelled from the UK and had been on the long flight this was great news.

The rooms are tasteful and have everything you need for a normal business hotel.there is a also a gym on the top floor which is well stocked with equipment.

Nothing was too much trouble for the staff from getting ur suit dry cleaned and back in time for the wedding to arranging our various taxis to sandton city and the surrounding areas. It is also attached directly to the Hyde park corner shopping centre so easy to get anything you want if you need to take a break from the hotel.

A big thank you to the reception, chaffeur and cleaning staff for a great stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Michael K, General Manager at Southern Sun Hyde Park Sandton, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Dear Guest,

We are pleased that you had a 'great stay" at our hotel.

We do hope we will be your hotel of choice if travelling to Johannesburg again.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our future trip advisor guests.

Kind regards,

Michael and the team...........
New Milford
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We spent four days at the Sun Hyde Park and found the staff to be very friendly and extremely accommodating. One of the front desk managers even located and purchased an electrical converter (not any adaptor) for our medical devices. The hotel is very modern and now offers free Internet access in all rooms. The breakfast is delicious and provides a variety of offerings that should meet everyone's tastes. The room was tastefully decorated, complete with a flat screen TV and personal toiletries. The bar area is quite lively at night, if that is your thing and the hotel's connection to a mall enables one to shop without having a concern about the weather, as well as to access to a number of wonderful restaurants. It was too cold for us to use the outdoor pool, but it looked inviting and clean. The hotel has a modest fitness center with modern equipment (did not use it). The hotel is located in a northern part of the city and is just a short cab ride from many of the city's attractions. At 10 rands to the dollar when we were there, this hotel is quite a value, especially if you choose to include the breakfast option.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to share you thoughts on your stay at Southern Sun Hyde park, and really do hope you had 'fun in the sun 'while visiting our country.

I am pleased to hear that my team were friendly and glad that we were able to help you with the electrical adaptor that you needed.

Thank you for the hotel review I am sure your comments will assist our future trip advisor guests in making a decision to stay with us when in Sandton, Johannesburg.

Kind regards,

Michael Kewley and the Southern Sun Hyde park team...
Potchefstroom, South Africa
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Wonderful stay, quiet room with view of city. Breakfast is fresh and tasty, great variety and good bread. Safe underground parking. A great pool bar with view for pre-dinner drinks. Many good restaurants and shops in Shopping centre underneath the hotel. All in all a very good value for money stay. The hotel is good for a romantic week-end break in Johannesburg. It is probably a good business hotel during the week as well. We liked the huge, extra long, king size beds and the modern bathrooms.

Room Tip: Superior rooms have great view over Sandton or Randburg
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Michael K, General Manager at Southern Sun Hyde Park Sandton, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Dear Southern Sun Hyde Park visitor,

Thank you for taking the time to share your views and experience with all our Trip Advisor guests.

We do hope you will visit again in the near future.

Regards,

Michael and the Team.
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night.. the room was superbly furnished and decorated, new and spacious as well.. attached to the hyde park mall so excellent location.. breakfast is well set out and delicious.. pool deck is a definite go to for a sunset cocktail overlooking the city.. service is excellent a definite 5 star experience

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the pool deck
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Yumna C
Michael K, General Manager at Southern Sun Hyde Park Sandton, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
Dear Guest,

We are pleased that we delivered an excellent 5 star experience for your one night stay.

Thank you for taking the time to, in a few words explain exactly the view we would like future visitors to Southern Sun Hyde park to have in mind when deciding on our hotel, for a business or a leisure trip to Sandton, Johannesburg.

We would really like you to make use of our sunset cocktail deck and bar again next time youre in our neighbourhood, especially this time of year with the great sunsets

Michael and the Team.