“Really a home away from home”
Review of Thatchfoord Lodge

Thatchfoord Lodge
Ranked #8 of 77 Sandton B&B and Inns
Lagos, Nigeria
“Really a home away from home”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My family and I stayed at this B&B and had a wonderful vacation. Joyce and Pearl were so nice and very helpful. We really felt at home. The environment was nice, calm and safe. We got a very warm reception by the entire staff. It is an ideal place for a family vacation.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Oyiwoja

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I have reviewed this BnB before, a year ago and have changed my rating from a 4* to a 5*.
Check-in was simple, everything was ready for me to sign. From the time I arrived until I was in my room was no more than 2 minutes. The room was large, with a full kitchenette. The heater had already been switched on and my hot water bottle was in my bed. Nice, homely touches.

Bed was firmer than I like, but I slept like the dead! Ample hot water in a huge shower. 10/10 for cleanliness. Furnishings of a good standard, but not over the top. Owner friendly without being overbearing.

Breakfast was superb. Lots of variety, cheese, rolls, scones, juice, lovely coffee/tea, cereals and full hot breakfast. Really good and seems to be better than previously.

Only (small) gripe that I see I had last time is that the quality of the soap and shampoo is not in line with the quality of the rest of the offer and needs to upped one notch.

I will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Rabia F
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Joyce and Pearl went out of their way to make our visit extremely pleasant and enjoyable aallowing us to host visits from family and friends in very beautiful landscape. The Sand river allows a walk with nature. Thank you for making our stay so welcoming and friendly.

Room Tip: Just ask and if possible you shall be given. Very obliging.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jeffrey M
Waldorf, Maryland
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This was my first time staying at the Thatchford Lodge and I must say it was a very pleasant experience. The location is clean, beautiful, quiet and peaceful. Pearl and Joyce were wonderful hosts, all of the staff from the cook, the gardener, the night security and cleaning staff were friendly and helpful. There was a good variety of breakfast items to choose from and it’s centrally located to shops, grocery stores and restaurants. With it only being 30 minutes from OR Tambo I would recommend the Thatchford Lodge for anyone wanting a wonderful and pleasant stay in Johannesburg.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mckinabry
East London
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is an extremely well-run establishment and includes warm reception, caring and attentive hosts, without imposing themselves. I found the breakfast to offer a good range and the room is prepared for you in the evening, warm bottles during the cold nights, lights switched on if you are out for the evening, these are the things that make it homely yet professional. Very good service all round, from the cleaning staff to the security team. For dinner, you can warm your food in the central lounge microwave and get cutlery and crockery. Its a lodge and not a hotel, so the touch is personal and forward thinking.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Muscat, Oman
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Having stayed in Thatchfoord lodge twice last year we just had to return again this year. Joyce and Pearl are the most wonderful hosts and looked after us yet again particularly after we had been involved in a very bad incident which they both helped us through as though we were family making us feel as though we were in our own home. This is a perfect start and end point for trips to Kruger as it is only 30 minutes from OR Tambo. There are countless shops and restaurants in the area and several attractions locally. Very quiet peaceful and secure location. Fabulous breakfasts cooked to your own tastes. Keep up the excellent service Joyce and Pearl.

Room Tip: The Honeymoon suite is fabulous.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Long Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed 11 April 2014

we have stayed here 3 times now as we visit South Africa every year. Owner Joyce and manager Pearl are very helpful, delightful people. The location is clean, beautiful, quiet and peaceful. The other guests are interesting. Breakfast very personal. We rented a car at airport this time and drove there, a cab is expensive, public transportation is fine-we have done all three. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends