“A quiet oasis to relax and recharge”

Ash Manor Guesthouse
Ranked #23 of 78 Sandton B&B and Inns
Durban, South Africa
“A quiet oasis to relax and recharge”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

It was so refreshing to stay at the Ash Manor for a night . I was in Johannesburg for business and this was a perfect location for me. It is only about 10 minutes from Sandton and many of the business areas are close by.
Bryanston is a beautiful and peaceful suburb. The owners are very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was a beautifully presentled meal overlooking the garden. The room was nice and spacious with a lovely shower and a coffee tray with all the ingredients for a cup or two of tea or coffee. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank annikins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Right from the beginning the staff were welcoming and very helpful. The breakfast was excellent and freshly cooked to your order. The gardens and outside were very peaceful and relaxing. Large comfortable room and super bed. Coffee and tea making facilities and room opened onto a little kitchen with toaster, microwave and shared fridge to store small items in.

Short walk to two excellent supermarkets (one a hyper market I guess) and a closed road for extra security.

I will definitely stay again and well worth it for anyone who wants to be relatively near Sandton centre but to stay in nice quiet, relaxing surroundings.

Room Tip: The Archeda suite has the best view and large panoramic windows.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Keithme77
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

My fiancée and I stayed at ash manor for a weekend. We were attending a conference and thus we would leave early in the morning and come back late at night. Nonetheless, the rooms are excellent, better than the pictures, we had very tasty breakfast at a time that suited us each morning.

The staff is very friendly and we received excellent service. The guest house is located in a very quiet area, a perfect get away in a busy city.

Will definitely stay there each time I am in Johannesburg

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paddington C
Port Alfred, South Africa
Reviewed 7 June 2013

My partner & I had a wonderful weekend at Ash Manor.We were there to see the shows at Monte Casino. We stayed in the Kira room & had a very comfortable stay. The room was just as the photo on the web site. This room does not have a view of the beautiful garden, but as we were not there much it was not a problem. We were also able to sit out in the garden at the table & chairs under the trees.Jonathan was looking after us & made a "mean" omlette.

Room Tip: If you would like a good view choose the Archeda or Garden room , but the Kira room is also very goo...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank helen w
Cape Town
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I booked the Kira room for a month, and have been absolutely disappointed by my experience.

The pictures on the website are a complete misrepresentation - the pictures you see are where the owner lives. The rooms are an extension build on to one side.

The service is SHOCKING! The "cleaning lady" robbed me on day 2. I confronted her, and she admitted to it with much apologising, but for the rest of my stay I have felt the need to lock all my possessions away - not fun to live like that for a month.

I have been staying in the Kira room, which only has 2 small windows that can open - very airless, and VERY shabby, and in places rather gross.
The carpets need an urgent clean, and overall, I have found everything EXTREMELY grubby. There is a layer of dust on a couple of surfaces. There is a tear in the duvet. I made a pot of tea 3 weeks ago, and the tea pot is still sitting dirty in my room??

The shared "kitchenette" referred to is absolutely disgusting - think back to your student days, now think of the dirtiest, poorest friend you had, and what their kitchen was like - that is what you get. This morning I tried to make myself a piece of toast, but found myself too disgusted to push the button down, as it was too dirty and gross. The fridge has not been cleaned out in the month I have been here, and has dirt splashed on the inside.

The breakfast has been the worst I have had. Ever. I paid for breakfast for a month, but only ate it about 6 times. Rancid butter. Overcooked eggs. Tomato sauce in a old-tomato-sauce-caked-on pot. Over-ripe fruit. Weak coffee.... And on top of that I have been asked repeatedly each day at what time EXACTLY I want breakfast the next morning. How about when i wake up, and feel hungry??? Somewhere between 8 and 9??? It is not fun having to set my alarm to make sure I make it to the breakfast table at exactly 08:00!

There is a noisy box attached to the outside of one of the room's walls. I have no idea what exactly it is, all I know is that it switches on whenever it feels like it, and sounds as if there is a tumble dryer in my room. I actually went to ask the "cleaning lady" if she could pls stop doing laundry in the middle of the night, as it was disturbing my sleep. She took me around the back and showed me the box, saying that it has something to do with the geyser. Not OK.

The WiFi in my room is pretty much non-existent.

I only saw Trish when I checked in a month ago, and have not seen her since. She is totally absent, and has left the care of her guests in COMPLETELY incompetent hands.

I am very grateful that tomorrow is my last day here.

I would not recommend this to anyone. At all.

Room Tip: Find a different guest house.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Nicci F
Helen200, Owner at Ash Manor Guesthouse, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
This guest came to view the room she chose BEFORE she made her booking. She then was only prepared to pay half her bill upfront. She said that this was incase she was not happy with the accommodation. The balance of her account was settled 2 weeks after her arrival. If it had been so bad, why did she pay the balance of her account 2 weeks into her 1 month stay?
She was given a VERY reduced rate as she said she could not afford more & she asked for breakfast to be included. She was offered a light breakfast of cereal & toast & egg for an additional R500 for a month. Once she arrived she became a guest from hell.
We at Ash Manor were very upset by the blatant lies in the review of Nicci French.
If she had spoken to us while she was here for a month we would have gladly tried to assist.
Reviewed 20 November 2012 via mobile

I stayed at Ash Manor on a recent business trip to Johannesburg and decided to stay at a different place than usual. I was pleasantly surprised by the room I got, it was surprisingly spacious with a Victorian style bath in the room.

The service wasn't amazing but the neatly tucked away location more than made up for it.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Sechabakou
Harrismith
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I stay at Ash Manor every time I am in Johannesburg on business. All the rooms are different & very comfortable . The beds are especially comfortable, a must when you are away from home.I will definatly be back. Thank you so much

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Peter W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandton
Annabel's of Bryanston
#1 of 15 in Bryanston
Ashdown House
Ashdown House
#40 of 297 in Johannesburg

Been to Ash Manor Guesthouse? Share your experiences!