“Home away from home”

Ten On Edison Guest House
Ranked #21 of 79 Sandton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My wife had to have an operation at Sunninghill Hospital on her jaw. Judy was excellent and made us very comfortable, ensured we were at the hospital every day at the right time for the operation regardless of whether it was 06:00 or later in the day. The food was good, the location was perfect as we ate dinner right across the road every night it was the best place to be in Sunninghill without having to hire a vehicle

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shane928

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I highly recommend Ten on Edison, especially for traveling professionals on long-term visits. I stayed with owners Judy and Hilton for two months while on a short-term assignment in Johannesburg. The apartment I stayed in was beautifully furnished and well equipped with everything that I could possibly need during my stay, including a small refrigerator, stove, microwave, sink, etc. The guest house is in a great location, just accross the street from a shopping area with restaurants and grocery stores, which is ideal for someone without access to regular transportation. The owners were most kind and went out of their way to help me find my way around Johannesburg. Anyone who chooses to stay at Ten on Edison will not be disappointed!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stayed at Ten on Edison for four nights and I enjoyed every bit of it. Judy and Hilton's hospitality and support to whatever needs is a wonderful asset to any guest. Suites were outstanding with good access to internet and satellite TV. Breakfast was a joy and most food is stocked from Woolworth's. Finally, with the mall just opposite, Ten-on-Edison is a true find and worth all the money!

Room Tip: I stayed at the Savuti Suite and this is large and comfortable suite with amenities to heat up meals...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I was sent to Johannesburg for a knee surgery that would require me to be there over Christmas and New Years holidays with my girlfriend. The guest house is located near Sunnyhill and Waterfall medical centers. After the options my insurance company helped me find, I went and did some digging on my own. I settled on Ten and Edison because they were right across the street from a shopping center and they had great reviews. When I booked I also got a bonus! Ten on Edison would arrange for free transport to and from the hospital while I was staying there.
From the moment we arrived, Judy and Hilton (owners and operators) made us feel at home. They understood that it was a difficult time to travel for medical surgery, and that we were missing friends and family. Luckily for us, we chose Ten on Edison for our stay. It was like staying with family. They were so accommodating and friendly, we found ourselves sharing glasses of wine over card games at sundown and enjoying a wonderful brai from Hilton.

The rooms were very clean and comfortable (we wish we had that couch at home), and felt quite private. The shopping center across the street had good restaurants, a couple of grocery stores, and if you were in the mood, even go-carts.

If you are traveling to the area, this is a fantastic pace to stay. I feel very fortunate to have met both Judy and Hilton, and to have had such wonderful hosts during a difficult time.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Ten on Edison was an amazing place to stay. It was beyond our expectations and after two weeks there relaxing while my boyfriend got surgery and was recovering, I rather miss being there. We stayed over Christmas and New Years and Judy and Hilton made us feel like part of the family.

First off, they arranged transport from the airport and the driver was there waiting for us with a sign. He was helpful, nice and a great person to talk to about the area. When we arrived, Judy met us and showed us to our suite. It was lovely. There was a small dining area, a rather comfortable couch, a kitchen, bedroom and bath. The decor was sophisticated and Judy's art was on display.

My first impression was that this place really pays attention to detail. There was shower gel, shampoo, lotions, tea, biscuits, drinks and all the amenities of home. The bed was firm and the linens were impeccable. The suite is the perfect place to stay. Between trips to the hospital and walking over to the shopping center across the street to get movies, snacks, lunch, a hair cut, etc. the suite really felt like home.

While there Judy and Hilton went above and beyond to accommodate us. The breakfast was delicious and she made the most perfect eggs every morning. Knowing that I don't eat meat, she surprised me one day with veggie breakfast patties. This shows her kind heart. They drove us to the hospital and to the mall to do some shopping. We shared meals together and had lovely conversations. They taught us a new card game between sharing a bottle of wine. They really welcomed us with open arms.

I am not sure if we will make it to Ten on Edison again, but I know we will be in touch with Judy and Hilton. And every time we look at the painting we bought from Hilton (he is a very talented artist too) we will think fondly of our time with them. When you go, say hi for me!

Room Tip: The bottom suite we stayed in was great.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I was sent to Johannesburg on a 2 week business trip. Hearing from collegues that had stayed at other locations, I expected my free time to be very boring, more like staying in a prison. What a luck I had to get accomodation at Judy and Hiltons lovely guest house!
You can take a walk without problem to a mall close by if you want to strech your legs or need something. Judy and Hilton are excellent hosts, varm and friendly and if you have your dinner there you can enjoy their company and delicous home cooking.
If I get back i will definitely try to get a room there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I had the great opportunity to go back to South Africa, and of course I made sure I stayed at Ten On Edison. Since this was my SECOND time staying with Judy and Hilton, it really was like coming back home. Everyone who stays there becomes part of the family, and that is something I've never gotten anywhere else in the world.

If you're like me and there for business, they have all the amenities you would need. Each room has a desk with ample workspace with adjacent power outlets. So when you have to write that email, you don't have to sit awkwardly on the bed to type. And if you need to get a hold of folks back home, the internet is the quickest I've found in South Africa, so Skype away.

Honestly, if you're planning a trip down to Jo'burg, give Judy a call and book yourself in at Ten On Edison. You'll wake up and have an amazing breakfast, whether you prefer a full cooked breakfast or some amazingly fresh fruit salad. You're located close to the motorway so you'll be able to get to work quickly, then after work you can sit in the gazebo during the evenings and talk with amazing people from all over the world. Or walk across the street to the shopping center for your choice of a number of very nice restaurants, or maybe just to pick up some essentials at the supermarkets.

I only wish I could have stayed longer!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business