“Hidden Gem”

The Capital 20 West
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Had planned to go to Johannesburg at the end of July and booked 20 West at the last minute because I had gotten sick and did not know if I would still travel. Needless to say, I went. Arrived at approximately 6:30PM and was greeted by Llewyn Anthony. The check-in process was smooth, he even gave me advice on the local area/transportation options offered by the hotel as well as public transportation options. My original plan was to stay 1 night in Jo'berg and go to Cape Town the next morning, but because of the rain in Cape Town, I scratched those plans and spent my additional time in Cape Town. Accommodations were very clean and welcoming. Room had a mini fridge which also came with a Brita pitcher that could be refilled with water as well. One small complaint was the lack of an iron/ironing board in the room. If I needed to iron a garment, would have to send it out to be done (for a fee of course). Also not sure if it was me, but the safe would not accept my code to lock. Location is convenient (approximately 5 minutes from Sandton train station, Nelson Mandela Square, McDonalds if you need a late night snack since the in house restaurant closes @ 10:00pm). The restaurant offers free breakfast (if its included in your stay and it was great! Fresh fruit, croissants, fresh omlettes, fresh juices-just great)! I am normally not a morning person, but you definitely have to be when staying in Jo'berg. Tours are all scheduled pretty early.

Room Tip: They do have regular "studio type" rooms that are a good size for 1 or 2 people. Anything...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
MarcWachsberger, General Manager at The Capital 20 West, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Thank you very much for your excellent feedback. Our housekeepers may to send an iron and iron board up to your room should you need this for any future stays. I look forward to welcoming you back to 20 West soon.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

The staff at reception are relatively helpful as are the staff in the main restaurant - although they look as if they'd rather be anywhere but serving you with the exception of the chef who was delightful and eager to please.

Breakfast is good, decent variety and opening hours.

I would never go back to this hotel based on the sounds I could hear coming in from outside and the adjoining room.

I was situated at the end of a hall with only one room beyond me and what appeared to be a cleaning/storage cupboard by me also. The sound of hotel staff chatting loudly and whopping came into my room as if they were in there with me. Not great for trying to get some rest.

The woman in the adjoining room had the tv on and ordered room service. I could hear what was happening so clearly in her room that the sound of her placing her cutlery on her plate when she finished eating rang out in my room. The tv and her phone conversation were far louder. I felt like there was someone in bed next to me with the tv on.

But by far and away the worst thing about the lack of soundproofing was lying in bed the next morning to hear my neighbour letting off farts.

I've stayed in several hotels where soundproofing could be better - but this one takes the cake.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MsHellfire
MarcWachsberger, General Manager at The Capital 20 West, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Thank you very much for this feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for you unpleasant stay. I am unable to track down the room number that you stayed in as this review does not have your real name attached to it. I will really appreciate it if you could email me the detail on astrid@20west.co.za so that I can have the sound proofing of the room inspected by our facilities department. Kind regards.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

Everything in this place is well thought of.The warmth welcome from security,reception and the rooms make you feel at home.The rooms were well furnished with nice blankets and bright colors..i real enjoyed showering.Balcony overviewing of the centered flowing pool cherish your mood. Everything from this hotel is of the modern society.Gown,shoes ,and many more.The housekeepers are also friendly and keeping everything in order and always available for us.Staff and management keep it!!U have up5...
The place is very close to Sandton mall.

Room Tip: Some rooms do not have views like the one that i was in. I had to go out to refresh. U feel like you...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
MarcWachsberger, General Manager at The Capital 20 West, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2013

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We look forward to your next visit at 20 West.

Reviewed 14 June 2013

Stayed here recently for a week whilst back in SA on business, and was fairly impressed. I stayed in a large apartment (separate bedroom, bathroom, large lounge/dining/kitchen area combined, balcony overlooking a street), which was definitely going for the "executive" decor - very clean, modern, stark whites and dark woods, tiled floors. Apartment was fully appointed with modern, late model appliances, which was great - a trip to the Pick 'n Pay on Monday and I was set for a week's worth of homecooked meals. There is also enough cutlery and crockery to entertain if you would like.

Undoubtedly the best point is the fact that it is a home away from home, but still fully serviced - cleaned every day, with complimentary laundry on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays - big score if you're going to be here a while. Other nice touches are the 150mb free internet per device per 24 hours, and the coffee/tea/milk/sugar and welcome kit on arrival.

There is an outdoor pool, and restaurant with a bar, which I didn't really sample, but looked a little dead as I walked past. Staff are pretty friendly - again, not much interaction over the course of the week.

Overall, a very good place to stay for a business trip I think, if you enjoy the "independent" home-away-from-home sort of experience. If you're looking more for a meal out every night, and a cosy bar for a nightcap, you'd probably be better off looking at a more traditional hotel than this place.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Wandering_Saffa
MarcWachsberger, General Manager at The Capital 20 West, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your positive review. I hope look forward to welcoming you back to 20 West.

Reviewed 20 April 2013

I live staying at this hotel for the fact that it isdo well managed with excellent security and great service. They are also a member of Hotel Express International. They also remember their regular guests. The beds are also awsome. Restuarant needs some attention.

• Stayed: March 2013
MarcWachsberger, General Manager at The Capital 20 West, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback. I hope to welcome you back to 20 West in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 10 April 2013

A good place to stay, regardless if it is business of pleasure. Good location, and near to most of stuff. A well fitted gym and fully catered restaurant. You can choose from rooms to apartments and prices are very good compared to other nearby and the offered amenities.
Parking available and fully secured complex.
Staff very friendly and accessible

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
MarcWachsberger, General Manager at The Capital 20 West, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2013

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back to 20 West soon.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

Can not complain ab this hotel. Price is aceptable , location is perfect . Hotel has a nice gym and swimming pool . A restaurant i have never used the service from during two visits using the services from this hotel . Parking widely available and underground parking gives you direct acces to elevators. Rooms are decent with all te bells and whistles , maybe cable tv could be organised in such a way that we would have all dstv channels and not oly a few of them . Room cleaning is done well and complimentary laundry service is apreciated and would even be more apreciated if shirts would be folded , think of your business guests who need to travel . As only negative comment ab this hotel i would critisize the architect who designed this hotel rooms have nearly no sun or day light and this just because the way this place was designed. I will surely be back soon and enjoy the good and friendly service the people of this hotel give me now i just have to hope they will let me check out late afternoon and not 10 am as my flight leaves in the evening and i have to work during the day and would apreciate if this hotel would let me either use my room or give me a room to freshen up before my flight this would make service near perfect as i receive in asian countrys when on a business trip there.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
MarcWachsberger, General Manager at The Capital 20 West, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2013

Thank you very much for your continued patronage and your relevant feedback. I hope to welcome you back to 20 West soon.