“They acknowledged my regular visits.”

The Capital 20 West
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I really appreciate it when a hotel recognizes my regular visits. This usually means that you can get a room at the last minute at a good rate. So happy well done guys. Cleaning team needs to check for finer details with dust on the base of the bed, etc. also the hotel transport was a problem today. Hope to return here soon.

• Stayed: December 2013
MarcWachsberger, General Manager at The Capital 20 West, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Thank you for your feedback.
In warm appreciation of our on-going association during the past year, we extend our very best wishes for a happy holiday season.
Kind regards.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed here for 5 weeks and it was very comfortable and a home from home which I was after. I will start with the bad points first. The place is a mixed residential and hotel it can be quite impersonal experience. If you want to go out and about locally you will need a car, there is no where near by you can walk to, hotel is located in a residential area. Most of the front desk staff are not from the local area and have no idea of what the local restaurants are or the where the larger supermarkets are. The taxi firm the hotel uses (Neon Taxi) are to watch out for, they charge more than others and the cars are old. Certain hotel staff will insist they only have one firm but there are two firms as some staff have got me the other one, makes you wonder. The cleaners did a good job, I had to complain three times, once over neighbours wanting to party until 1am, one over laundry and room not being cleaned properly but over a 5 week stay they did quite well. Now for the good points, the 1 bed apartment is big, modern and has the mod cons. I had a balcony which had an amazing view of the city which was breath taking and you could sit outside, so it was not a small balcony. A very large bed, sheets and towels are cleaned on a regular basis. The cleaning staff are friendly and guest staff at the front door are simply great. The restaurant food is good and the staff there are good also. I was after a home from home due to the long stay and I loved the apartment. The air con worked, the fridge was big, there was a cooker with extractor, dishwasher, washing machine, dryer, coffee maker. The bathroom had double sinks, a large round bath and separate good sized shower, all clean and very nice, I certainly felt very spoilt. The is a swimming pool there and was used by guests, so it must have been good. The gym I used on a regular basis, nice gym, again all modern kit, not mega busy which made it a joy to used. The front desk staff are good on the whole, some need to learn about the local area. The management are very professional and very good at what they do, I couldn't fault them. Location is ideal if you have a car, and is quite which is perfect. Overall would most certainly come back again and recommend to others.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
MarcWachsberger, General Manager at The Capital 20 West, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Thank you very much for your positive and constructive feedback.

I hope that we can welcome you back to 20 West in the not too distant future and I wish you and your family a magical and delightful festive season.

Kind regards.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

I stayed in this aprtment hotel for 2 weeks and I recommend it for long stays.

The apartments are big and nicely decorated. The hotel has a nice pool and gym with top notch equipment.

The room service works well as well as remaining service.

The only disavantages is that it feels very impersonal, it is a huge block of apartments and the sound isolation of the apartments should be better as you can hear your neighbours too well.

Room Tip: Make sure you pick the apartment rooms, their cheapest room is terrible as it only has a window to t...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Grao_Mestre_V
MarcWachsberger, General Manager at The Capital 20 West, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback. I hope we can welcome you back to 20 West soon. Kind regards.

Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

If you like your space and not need to pay ridiculous amounts of money for a very comfortable and affordable place? 20 west is everything... Short business trips etc, but just be careful not get a single room without the kitchen cause you will get a cupboard for a room. Other than that the front desk clerks could be nicer...

Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Muchohi G
MarcWachsberger, General Manager at The Capital 20 West, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Thank you very much for you feedback.

Our two-bedroom apartments (110m2) and one-bedroom apartments (80m2) are very comfortable and spacious as you pointed out.

Our standard hotel rooms (30m2) are excellent value for money @ R1070.00 per room per night and are ideal short stay guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back to 20 West soon.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Had planned to go to Johannesburg at the end of July and booked 20 West at the last minute because I had gotten sick and did not know if I would still travel. Needless to say, I went. Arrived at approximately 6:30PM and was greeted by Llewyn Anthony. The check-in process was smooth, he even gave me advice on the local area/transportation options offered by the hotel as well as public transportation options. My original plan was to stay 1 night in Jo'berg and go to Cape Town the next morning, but because of the rain in Cape Town, I scratched those plans and spent my additional time in Cape Town. Accommodations were very clean and welcoming. Room had a mini fridge which also came with a Brita pitcher that could be refilled with water as well. One small complaint was the lack of an iron/ironing board in the room. If I needed to iron a garment, would have to send it out to be done (for a fee of course). Also not sure if it was me, but the safe would not accept my code to lock. Location is convenient (approximately 5 minutes from Sandton train station, Nelson Mandela Square, McDonalds if you need a late night snack since the in house restaurant closes @ 10:00pm). The restaurant offers free breakfast (if its included in your stay and it was great! Fresh fruit, croissants, fresh omlettes, fresh juices-just great)! I am normally not a morning person, but you definitely have to be when staying in Jo'berg. Tours are all scheduled pretty early.

Room Tip: They do have regular "studio type" rooms that are a good size for 1 or 2 people. Anything...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
MarcWachsberger, General Manager at The Capital 20 West, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Thank you very much for your excellent feedback. Our housekeepers may to send an iron and iron board up to your room should you need this for any future stays. I look forward to welcoming you back to 20 West soon.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

The staff at reception are relatively helpful as are the staff in the main restaurant - although they look as if they'd rather be anywhere but serving you with the exception of the chef who was delightful and eager to please.

Breakfast is good, decent variety and opening hours.

I would never go back to this hotel based on the sounds I could hear coming in from outside and the adjoining room.

I was situated at the end of a hall with only one room beyond me and what appeared to be a cleaning/storage cupboard by me also. The sound of hotel staff chatting loudly and whopping came into my room as if they were in there with me. Not great for trying to get some rest.

The woman in the adjoining room had the tv on and ordered room service. I could hear what was happening so clearly in her room that the sound of her placing her cutlery on her plate when she finished eating rang out in my room. The tv and her phone conversation were far louder. I felt like there was someone in bed next to me with the tv on.

But by far and away the worst thing about the lack of soundproofing was lying in bed the next morning to hear my neighbour letting off farts.

I've stayed in several hotels where soundproofing could be better - but this one takes the cake.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MsHellfire
MarcWachsberger, General Manager at The Capital 20 West, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Thank you very much for this feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for you unpleasant stay. I am unable to track down the room number that you stayed in as this review does not have your real name attached to it. I will really appreciate it if you could email me the detail on astrid@20west.co.za so that I can have the sound proofing of the room inspected by our facilities department. Kind regards.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

Everything in this place is well thought of.The warmth welcome from security,reception and the rooms make you feel at home.The rooms were well furnished with nice blankets and bright colors..i real enjoyed showering.Balcony overviewing of the centered flowing pool cherish your mood. Everything from this hotel is of the modern society.Gown,shoes ,and many more.The housekeepers are also friendly and keeping everything in order and always available for us.Staff and management keep it!!U have up5...
The place is very close to Sandton mall.

Room Tip: Some rooms do not have views like the one that i was in. I had to go out to refresh. U feel like you...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
MarcWachsberger, General Manager at The Capital 20 West, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2013

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We look forward to your next visit at 20 West.