“Nice place”

The Capital 20 West
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed there for just over a week.
Rooms are clean and comfortable.
The cleaning staff are amazing, they even did my washing and ironing for me.

I left my room key at a friends place and didn't want to drive back to collect it, it was quite late and the offices were closed so there was no spare key so they put us up in another room for the night without any hassle, extra charge or complaints.

I would definitely recommend a stay there

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank lalaN81
Marc W, General Manager at The Capital 20 West, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thank you very much for your very positive feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back to 20 West in the not too distant future.

There are newer reviews for The Capital 20 West

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Rooms are excellent. Same as bathroom. Left personal effects. Went back for them a week later and a wonderful lady named Mardi Collins(hope I spelled it right) helped immensely after reception couldn't help after several attempts.
Love her.

Room Tip: Bring your own international adapters for the sockets as the hotel doesn't stock enough
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Marc W, General Manager at The Capital 20 West, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Thank you very much for your excellent feedback and your on-going patronage, it is appreciated. I will pass on your thanks onto our housekeeper.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed there for two nights,
For reasons unknown my company transport failed to arrive the airport so I took a taxi, not knowing the distance fare structure I made and estimate and a few hundred rand from an ATM in the airport, when I arrived at the Hotel I was 50 rand short so I asked the hotel reception staff to loan me the 5o and put it either on my bill or let me hand it back as soon as I was settled and found an ATM, they refused and told me there was an ATM around the corner, there was the only problem was that this is Joburg at it was 11 pm at night and the ATM was located at a notoriously un safe petrol station, luckily a good Samaritan staying the hotel helped me out with fast loan.

Once checked in, I found my room, the it was ok, small but clan with a view onto a corridor.

The bar was ok the food was ok, avoid the Yorkshire puddings, especially if you plan on going for a swim the same day.

After every visit to the bar or restaurant I had to pay directly, it was not possible to put anything against my room and settle on departure, a world first for me, not even WIFI access (which is very very slow,)

My company had requested a late check-out as my flight was not until 11.15pm, so when the reception called me at 10am and told me to clear my room at first I was shocked, then I was informed that I could stay longer but I would be charged by the hour. Then it was for a full day.

That said it is not a bad place, I’ts just not run like a hotel and you do not feel like a guest more like an hindrance.

Room Tip: take a suite
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank AntwerpPaul

Thank you very much for your feedback. Apologies for the delayed response, I have been waiting for response from various people with regards to the comments.
Your company booker from JM had booked transport for you directly with their regular service provider. I can forward the bookers name and telephone number in a separate e-mail to you should you need to discuss the service of her contractor directly with her.
The JM booker is aware of charges levied for late departures, hence it is JM policy not to make late departure arrangements. JM knows that check out time is 10am and is not willing to cover late departure costs, hence no late departure arrangements were made by the booker on this reservation.
I have had a chat to the receptionist that had checked you in as it was not an unreasonable request to charge R50 to our account until the next day to pay your taxi driver. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience that this caused you.
On check in, our standard practice is to offer our guests an option to pay an extras deposit in advance onto their account in order to sign extras onto their room account, or to pay any extras as they are used.
I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to 20 West in the not too distant future and hope that your experience will be a more pleasant one.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Initial impressions are of a rather sterile environment, with too much polished marble, glass and chrome, which makes for lots of hard surfaces and sharp angles. However, the large meeting room is excellent and the service team do a great job with meeting every need, so everything works well. the lunchtime buffet is terrific and the evening menu covers most needs, though will pale after three or four nights.

The room/apartment was large and again, rather sterile, though the complimentary laundry service makes up for a lot and the bed is comfortable. The shower was a bit limited in water flow and took around 3 minutes to become hot. Just about acceptable.

Wifi, like most of SA is somewhat patchy in terms of speed and uptime. It helps that you get enough free access to cover most needs. I'd come again if running a workshop, though probably not otherwise as it's a pain to get into Sandton Square by taxi.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view - probably quieter
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Marc W, General Manager at The Capital 20 West, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your very positive feedback Our facilities team will check out the shower water flow. I look forward to welcoming you back to 20 West in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

As my readers would know by now I love this place. It is not perfect but they do know my name and they treat me well, in general. My only negative comment is that I arrived back at my hotel at 10.10pm. The restaurant and bar was still open but the kitchen had closed at 10pm. The chef turned down my request for even the most simple meal of his choice. At about 10.20pm I saw numerous plated meals leave the kitchen for tables and room service respectively. I understand that they had a long day in the kitchen, but I am not a stranger here.

Room Tip: Ensure that you place any meal orders before 10pm, which may not be easy if you are arriving late at...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Marc W, General Manager at The Capital 20 West, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback and on-going patronage.

You request for a meal at 22h10 was not unreasonable at all and this has been discussed with the restaurant supervisors and senior chefs.

I look forward to welcoming you back to 20 West soon.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Great apartments. The apartments are very clean and comfortable. The service at the restaurant was excellent. The kids loved the apartments especially since they had their own TV in the bedroom and plently of space to run around. We will definetely be back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Marc W, General Manager at The Capital 20 West, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you vey much for this excellent feed which will be passed onto our staff. I hope that we are able to welcome you and your family back to 20 West in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Excellent location and lovely apartments. We arrived early evening. The receptionist was not v friendly and even a few days later when we needed to pick up our phone from reception a few days later he was totally unhelpful. We did have a pair of headphones stollen by the cleaners from the apartment when I forgot to lock them away. Housekeeping was totally unhelpful although the woman looked v guilty and uncomfortable.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Thandie44
Marc W, General Manager at The Capital 20 West, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Thank you very much for this constructive feedback. I will investigate these comments with our front desk and housekeeping manager immediately.
In the meantime, please accept my sincere apologies for the poor service that you received from our staff. I will make contact with you again with regards to this matter.