“Great stat”

Ranked #34 of 48 Hotels in Sandton
London, United Kingdom
“Great stat”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed at Hydro for 3 nights in Jan 14. Very quiet and clean. Staff were ever so helpful downside is their paid internet service l found it painfully slow and it kept dropping off. Otherwise great place would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank DrTammii

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Montreal
Reviewed 17 December 2013

My stay was pleasent and very comfortable..i booked a 2 room apartment with pool view and on the 8th floor as requested..the checkin process was smooth and the general manager (Daniel) was very welcoming and co-oprative.my family was happy and delighted.

Will come back again

• Stayed December 2013
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The front desk staff was excellent , Mike and his colleague were really great guys, always courteous and effective. Walter one of the night shift security guards was also very nice and helpful.

Unfortunately, the manager on duty - Mr.. Jackson - was a disgrace. The worse and only rude manager I have ever encountered in the tens and tens of hotels and executive suites I have resided in, all over the world. Although I must make it clear that the rest of the staff was excellent.

This is my experience with this gentleman: One morning, I had needed to print an urgent business document . I remembered seeing a printer by the lobby area some few nights earlier and headed down to use it. I went down to the lobby and saw the unattended printer in what seemed to be a public space for the guests by the entrance of the swimming pool area. As I was setting up and syncing my laptop wireless connection to the printer, the manager arrived and was shockingly rude to me. "Do you even know who this printer belongs to? ". He interjected with insolence. He then continued by saying he was the manager on duty, that it was his printer and I shouldn't touch it. He spoke to me with such an insulting tone, I couldn't believe it. I stated that I was a guest and that I assumed this was a public area for the guests. He continued by saying that if I needed to print something I should go outside in town and find a post-office or what he called an "internet café" of sort and pay for their printer there. Absolutely appalling guest service manager's skills.

When I asked or rather begged if it could not be possible for me to just quickly print 3 pages as I needed to conclude some urgent business. He looked at me very annoyed and asked "how many pages ? I explained that I would pay for it if that was an issue but I was met with the same insolence. I left went about town and an hour later was able to print the three pages. Disappointing. He never saw much as made eye contact with me after that day.

Despite many wonderful staff members, I rated the service as poor because of the manager's attitude. He should lead by example.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Tam_Travels
Antigua
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I was staying here for business and the apartments are nice with all mod cons.
The maids are wonderful .
It is centrally located in sandton and 5 minutes from a wide range of restaurants and shops.
My main issue was with the internet.It was woeful.I upgraded to the paid secure internet but that was still slow and on and off all the time.Just couldn't do my business properly.
It would be nice if there was some on site restaurant as it was a bit of a drag having to go out for everything.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank NEILCAntigua
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 3 March 2013

I stayed at Hydro Apartments during the last week of the just concluded CAF Cup aka Nations Cup where we won the gold.

We stayed here from Feb 04 - Feb 12, and booked for a 2 bedroom apartment with private lift, and 1 one bedroom apartment as we were 3 of us traveling together. The 1 bedroom apartment is nice and but only 1 room in the 2 bedroom apartment is worth it. The 2nd room doesn't have any windows, dark and no air conditioning. The 3rd person had to get a separate 1 bedroom.

Only book for the 1 bedroom apartment as the 2room isn't worth it.

The Apartment is like 20 minutes walk to the Nelson Mandela Square or by 50rand taxi. The apartment have no restaurant but a fully equipped kitchen with microwave and watching machine. Daily Cleaning services but sheets will not be changed except on Monday and Thursday.

Room Tip: Book only for the 1 bedroom apartment as the 2nd bedroom in the 2 bedroom is a rip-off. Except the r...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Poppie08
Portishead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2012

On a recent business trip to JOBURG I decided to rent an apartment rather than stay in the normal hotels and selected a Penthouse apartment at Hydro. The apartment was superbly furnished and spotlessly clean. The location is ideal and close to the Benmore Mall if you've decided on self catering. The block is a mixture of privately owned and serviced apartments so it feels like a home. Laundry and Internet is included in the rate. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 29 September 2012

My husband and I recently spent a night in the one bedroom penthouse suite.it is close to all amenities. The living area is well appointed and the kitchen is fully equipped with all mod cons. Unfortunately the bedroom is a disappointment, the aircon was noisy and didn't switch off, the sliding door was unable to be closed fully so the wind howled the entire night.
The bed was uncomfortable and the pillows were too hard. The bathroom is open plan.
The front door is frosted glass and the light front the corridor shines through so the apartment is not fully blacked out.
There is no one at the front desk if you need to check out before office hours.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Nadira_bhamjee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandton
Glenalmond Hotel Sandton
#21 of 48 in Sandton
Westpoint Executive Suites
Westpoint Executive Suites
#26 of 68 in Johannesburg

Been to The Capital Hydro? Share your experiences!