“Katherine Street”

Southern Sun Katherine Street Sandton
Ranked #14 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This must be one of the best Southern Sun hotels. The concept is great and service is always very good.As a business hotel I always like to visit this place and have also been here when on holiday.The concept of having the rooms as apartments is great.

Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels
Wilma S, General Manager at Southern Sun Katherine Street Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Henmo67,

Thank you for your lovely review of the Hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our apartment concept appealed to you.

We hope to be welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Check in to be more efficient. Consider having and taking phone call bookings outside the check in area(back office). It is not good reception when you come in and the person is on the phone taking a booking.

Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels
Wilma S, General Manager at Southern Sun Katherine Street Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Fundi,

Thank you for your review of the hotel.

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. We have a dedicated reservations office in the back, but some times guests ask to speak to the reception person they know to make their booking exactly to their liking.

We sure hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Spent three nights here while on business travel to South Africa. The staff are very friendly and courteous, the showers have tremendous water pressure, and the restaurant serves a hearty breakfast. The only downsides about the hotel are the terrible internet connection and air conditioner that barely cooled the room even when set on the lowest setting. The hotel is conveniently located near all of the business districts. A rental car is necessary as taxi were not readily available. There is more than ample parking at the hotel, unlike many other places in town. There is also a nice sized shopping center across the street that has an excellent steakhouse restaurant. You can easily reach the restaurant on foot from the hotel. Will definitely stay here again if back in the area for business.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Wilma S, General Manager at Southern Sun Katherine Street Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear Alleydw,

Thank you for your lovely review on the Hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the spaciousness and service the Hotel offers.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 7 April 2014

The hotel is very different from most around Sandton. You have a homely warm feeling whenever one arrives at the hotel. From the Staff that is courteous to the type of accommodation. One gets a suit for a price of a room with good wifi connectivity.
The parking arrangement is also unique to a hotel. One can easily park at the door of one's room. For someone who spends so many nights at hotels away from home, one never develops "hotel sickness and fatigue"
Having stayed in many hotels around, would never want to stay anywhere else

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review of the Hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the spaciousness of the rooms and the parking appealled to your business needs.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I spent around 6 weeks in this hotel and in Summery I like it. It has several good points however it also has some bad points.
For me as a business traveler I liked having a small Kitchener in the room. Very nice indeed and it made me easy to have some meals in the room away of the noise of the malls and to give me more focus to work. It is a very nice and quite place. The hospitality is very nice however it is not to the extent with the stars hotels.
The room is very nice. As now I am a director member, I have a bug room with a reception and bed room. Actually if you ask for one, you will get one in case it is not really occupied. The room is also equipped with two TVs one in the reception and another one in the bed room. Also air conditioned.
It is a perfect place for a family with few children as well as couples. Some time it is too quite to the extent that you can some couples making "noise" in the middle of night ;)
For the bad points, it is mainly the reception of the WIFI and the mobile. Some rooms are having terrific signal, some of the are having very bad signal. However the staff helped me to move from more to room and even to try the room if its signal is OK or night . I want to thank them for that.
However if you are in a business trip like me and you depend on the internet connectivity, make sure to take a room in the upper floor not in the ground floor (all rooms are in only two levels).
Although I am a director member in the hotel but the points is not that good as it is limited to small options and mainly in other hotels or restaurants and as I am a Muslim guy who has restrictions in food (I only eat Halal Food) which they are not offering, I don't have a lot of options for the points, but if I can bring my wife (the flight ticket is high from Egypt) in one of my business trips, it will be wonderful.
One other bad thing, the swimming pool is the smallest pool I have ever saw along my different trips, in facts it is more into a refreshing small pool than a swimming pool.
The Gym is very small but equipped with new equipment, and I didn't experience the restaurant as I was always have my food at my room.
I hope that review is helping, Have fun.

Room Tip: take rooms in the higher floor.

Dear Ahmed,

Thank you for your review of the hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you found the unique kitchenette and spaciousness of our rooms enjoyable.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

All staff receive us with a large smile and help us in everything needed.
Room is clean and has a good space.
Special gifts to our honeymoon: box of chocolats, fruits and champagne! :)
Close to Mandela Square and had a shuttle to there.
Breakfast is good to!

Stayed: April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely review on the Hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your honeymoon stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future for one of our anniversary's perhaps?

Reviewed 28 March 2014

This place is just perfect. The staff and management have made a concerted effort to make this a home away from home.
What you will find is, friendly reception, competent staff, clean and modern rooms and service with a smile. Oh, and the best steak in the world!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels
Wilma S, General Manager at Southern Sun Katherine Street Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Dear Eugene,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments on our Hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoy your stays with us and that you view us as your home away from Home!

We sure look forward to welcoming you back soon!