“Excellent Choice”
Review of Hilton Sandton

Hilton Sandton
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed 29 October 2013

This hotel proves that the Hilton Brand is consistent anywhere you travel. The staff was friendly. The hotel was nicely designed. I loved every minute of my stay there. It was a pleasure to stay at this hotel and I would return any day.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Heidi K, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Dear Mr Arthur P,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton and for sharing your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by you, and this time with regards to the enjoyable stay you had with us in particular.

Hilton prides itself with guests like you having the feeling of being at home while away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their wellbeing very seriously and always hope to meet and exceed our guests’ expectations.

Dear Mr Arthur P, we are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us. And I would like to thank you once more for your open feedback. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.

We all are looking forward to welcoming you back again to the Hilton Sandton in the near future.

If I can be of any assistance for you in the meantime, please do contact me at any given time. It will be always a pleasure to assist.

HEIDI KLEINE MOELLER I Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (1,430)

Reviewed 29 October 2013

stayed here one night before moving onto Ulusaba. the hotel is in a safe area. they have a shuttle from the GAUTRAIN which is the easiest public transport to the hotel. we got a car to take us though. the hotel is nice, especially the pool area. very relaxing for a CBD hotel pool! it takes about a 5-10 minute (max) walk down 1 street to get to Nelson Mandela Square & Sandton Shops / convention center. or you can take the regular shuttle free. definitely liked the stay and will use it more often. got the upgrade being HHonors Gold. the only bad thing is they take 2000ZAR (200USD / night for a deposit! a bit rich when you traveling. a lot of hotels these days just do $1. maybe they should consider it

Room Tip: be an Hhonors member for free wifi
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Heidi K, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Dear Mr/Ms 808surf

Mr/Ms 808surf, I am not sure what transpired that the amount 2000ZAR was taken as a deposit. Our policy requires an amount of 500ZAR per night for incidentals plus your accommodation rate. You have my profound apology for any inconvenience caused, and please be assured that this matter will be addressed with our team.

We are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us. And I would like to thank you once more for your open feedback. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I am happy and I will recommend, fiends to stay at Hilton, it gives me more time to relax while on business. I haven’t got things to blame the hotel, apart from the late response to collect me and my colleagues at the train station, which took long time, after our call, consider that it was already dark, we didn’t feel comfortable standing.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Heidi K, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear Mr/Ms Eulalia

Thank you for staying at the Hilton Sandton and for sharing your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by you.

Mr/Ms Eulalia, I do apologize that you and your friend had to wait longer than expected at the Gauteng station. Our shuttle runs every half an hour from the hotel, to the station and Mandela Square. Please accept my humble apologies for any delay and for the inconvenience caused.

We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for your open and honest comments. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.

Please be assured that we all are looking forward to welcoming you back again to the Hilton Sandton in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 18 October 2013

I need to add and confirm what everyone continues to write about this hotel and the internet, if you are here for work or vacation find another option in hotels. Just the fact that it is not free is one huge headache for a hotel going into year 2014, but to actual charge you the wifi fee for "EACH" computer/tablet/phone as each uses its own code is disappointing but more outrageous! Currently that is R170 per 24 hours or about $17/24h per machine...can you imagine paying $55 for wifi for just one day if you have a work computer, an iPad and wanted to use your smart phone as well?
I am staying here for 2 weeks and the hotel would not even look into an upgrade in room for my loyalty to stay with Hilton 2 weeks, and they wouldn't even look into free wifi for the room either stating "our policy" ....
so angry with this hotel and management. never again will I stay ...intercontinental here i come!

Dear Mr/Ms Fezster

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton during your recent visit to Johannesburg, and secondly thank you for sharing your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their wellbeing very seriously and always hope to meet and exceed our guests’ expectations. However, it is obvious by your comments that we failed to do so during your entire stay, and you have my most humble apologies. I do apologise that this time round we were not able to provide an upgrade for you.

Mr/Ms Fezster, with regards to the internet services, you might be aware that this service is provided by an outside company and hence is not included in the room rate at the Hilton Sandton. However, I am pleased to advise you, that we are in the process of finalizing a new contract with a new internet provider, which will include an increasing of our bandwidth and complementary internet in all our public areas. I am not sure if you are not an HHonor member yet, hence I would like to bring to your attention, that as soon as you would have reached the Gold tier of our Loyalty Program, internet will be offered complementary, this being only one benefit out of many more. If this would be of interest for you, we are more than happy to enroll you to our complementary loyalty program today.

I am truly sorry about any inconvenience caused to you. Though I am not able to undo the negative impression received, I would highly appreciate if you would give us another chance to prove to you, that we can do much better than what you recently have experienced with us.

Mr/Ms Fezster, please be assured, that we have taken your feedback very seriously and we would highly regret to lose you as our preferred guest. Please be assured, we do look forward to a continued relationships with you, and we all are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton in sunny South Africa one day again.

In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance for you, please do contact me at any given time. It will be always my pleasure to assist.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Clientele seem to be more flight crews and business travellers than families, which is unsurprising given location. Though the staff look sharper in their suits than a lot of the business types! Good gym facilities, restaurant, pool, poolside bar, and service, with a handy shuttle to the Gautrain and Sandton Square. I agree with other reviewers that internet is expensive, and it would be nice to be able to open the room windows to let some fresh air in. But the hotel has been my Sandton home from home for the last 5 years, and I always enjoy kicking back with a cold beverage in Faces Bar when my day's work is done.

Room Tip: Much of a muchness, no views to speak of. Overlooking pool about the best.

Dear Mr Alex G

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton and for sharing your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by you, in particular haven been such a loyal guest over several years.

Hilton prides itself with guests like you having the feeling of being at home while away from home and the family. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their wellbeing very seriously and always hope to meet and exceed our guests’ expectations.

Mr Alex G, with regards to the internet services, you might be aware that this service is provided by an outside company and hence is not included in the room rate at the Hilton Sandton. However, I am pleased to advise you, that we are in the process of finalizing a new contract with a new internet provider, which will include an increasing of our bandwidth and complementary internet in all our public areas. I am not sure if you are an HHonor member yet, hence I would like to bring to your attention, that as soon as you would have reached the Gold tier of our Loyalty Program, internet will be offered complementary, this being only one benefit out of many more.

Regarding our windows being closed/locked, kindly be informed that our windows are able to be opened. It is purely for security reasons that all windows have to be closed upon arrival. Kindly let us know when travel brings you back to us, and we will have the windows opened for you.

We are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for bringing to our attention the great service you had received from our team members at Hilton Sandton. We are glad to see that we met your expatiation. Please be assured that feedback like yours always make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Mr Alex G, we all are looking forward to welcoming you back again to the Hilton Sandton in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 15 October 2013

A decent hotel, nicely located and with most of the facilities you would expect. However, as other reviewers have noted, the internet situation is totally unacceptable. If you need internet access during your stay then you would have to avoid this hotel. I really cannot understand this situation, Sandton is a sophisticated business hub, good internet access is available in most of the places you would expect, with one notable exception, The Hilton! Maybe they should market it as a place to "get away from it all".

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Mr/Mrs Intergoal,

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton during your recent visit to Johannesburg, and secondly thank you for sharing your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet and exceed our guests expectations.

However, it is obvious by your rating and comments that we failed to do so during your stay in regards to our internet, for which you have my humble apologies. I would like to inform you, that this service is provided by an outside company and hence is not included in the room rat. However, I am pleased to advise you, that we are in the process of changing to a new internet provider, which will include an increasing of our bandwidth and complementary internet in all our public areas. I am not sure if you are an HHonor member yet, hence I would like to bring to your attention, that as soon as you would have reached the Gold tier of our Loyalty Program, internet will be offered complementary, this being only one benefit out of many more.

Mr/Mrs Intergoal, please be assured we do look forward to a continued relationships with you, and we all are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton in sunny South Africa one day again.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

The Hilton in Sandton has everything you would come to expect of a Hilton - good, comfortable and spacious room, excellent breakfast and nice facilities. The service however at checking in was very slow and inefficient, and there was no free wifi at the hotel - and even paid wifi was limited to one device. At other Hilton's Wifi was free for hotel guests for any number of devices.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Heidi K, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear Mr/Ms Mogli43

However, it is obvious by the comment you made with regards to your check in, that you were not happy in the way it was handled, and for this you have my humble apologies. After a thorough investigation, I would like to explain that the reason for the slow check in was that at time the hotel experienced a delayed group departure, this resulted in a number of those guest rooms returned from housekeeping a bit later than normally expected. I again apologise for the delay experienced at check in.

Mr/Ms Mogli43, with regards to the internet services, you might be aware that this service is provided by an outside company and hence is not included in the room rate at the Hilton Sandton. However, I am pleased to advise you, that we are in the process of finalizing a new contract with a new internet provider, which will include an increasing of our bandwidth and complementary internet in all our public areas. I am not sure if you are an HHonor member yet, hence I would like to bring to your attention, that as soon as you would have reached the Gold tier of our Loyalty Program, internet will be offered complementary (for one devise), this being only one benefit out of many more.

I am truly sorry about any inconvenience caused to you, however please be assured we do look forward to a continued relationships with you, and we all are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton in sunny South Africa one day again.