“Spend your money at a boutique hotel or guest house instead”
Review of Hilton Sandton

Hilton Sandton
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed 15 November 2013

This Hilton hotel is not nearly good as it's international counterparts, and it's not the fault of the people - it's the burden of it's former prestige. If you're looking for good service, a comfortable bed, business facilities and delicious food, I recommend that you go to one of the hundreds of smaller hotels or guest houses in the area. However, if you enjoy a dimly lit room, unreliable air-con, R170 internet connection fees per day and a broken safe - the Hilton Sandton is for you.

1  Thank Lisa T
Heidi K, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Ms Lisa T,

Thank you for staying at the Hilton Sandton and for taking the time to share this valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by you.

Hilton prides itself in hosting guests like you as well as ensuring that you get that home away from home feeling when staying in one of our hotels. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality service delivery, we do take our guests and their wellbeing very seriously and always hope to meet and exceed their guests’ expectations.

It is clear from your comments that we indeed did fail to deliver on these promises during your stay and after reviewing your experience with all our team members as well as those behind the scene responsible for the unacceptable experiences I assure you that, if we do get the chance to host you in the hotel again (and I hope we do), you will have a more pleasant and acceptable experience.
Please rest assured that this feedback has not been taken lightly and has been addressed with the seriousness it deserves with all the department heads concerned.

With regards to the internet services, you might be aware that this service is provided by an outside company and we are in the process of finalizing a new contract with a new internet provider, which will include an increase to our bandwidth and complementary internet in our public areas. We currently are expecting the changeover to the providers to be completed end of January 2014.

Ms Lisa T, I do apologize for the unpleasantness of the temperature in your meeting room. The air conditioners are centrally controlled and as such when a room is cold, and we ask for the aircon to be turned down so the room can warm up, there are variables such as doors being opened and closed, height of room etc that all contribute to the venues overall ambient temperature, however you have my sincerest apology that this wasn’t clearly explained or dealt with correctly.

Thank you for bringing to our attention the lighting in the room, and I am pleased to inform you, that this valuable comment has been already taken in account for our next room refurbishment to come in the near future.

Ms Lisa T, where the hotel can’t undo the damage that has been done during this last experience, please rest assured that this is most definitely a unique sequence of events and one that I can assure you won’t happen again when you are with us.

On your next visit to Johannesburg, please be sure to get in touch with me directly and I will be more than happy to ensure that you are treated to a true Hilton experience.

Heidi Kleine-Moeller
Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (1,390)

Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

we had a lovely stay at the sandton hilton. all the staff were pleasant, especially those on the front desk who were very friendly and helpful.
the shuttle to mandella square and the train staton very helpful.
on our way down to breakfast one morning heard beautiful singing and saw that it was a group of the staff, unfortunately, by the time we got to the lobby it was over.

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear Miss Muriel,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton and for sharing your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by you, and this time with regards to the amazing stay you had with us in particular.

Hilton prides itself with guests like you having the feeling of being at home while away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their wellbeing very seriously and always hope to meet and exceed our guests’ expectations.

Miss Muriel, we are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for bringing to our attention the great service you had received from our team members and it has been my absolute pleasure to share the same with the team accordingly. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.

We all are looking forward to welcoming you back again to the Hilton Sandton in the near future.

If I can be of any assistance for you in the meantime, please do contact me at any given time. It will be always a pleasure to assist.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

First time in South Africa. Beautiful Christmas tree in lobby. Rooms clean. Executive lounge was very well staffed. Ground transportation and Hertz at the hotel. We used a great driver, who took us to Soweto and visited apartheid museum. Very close to Mandela sq, which has good restaurants.

Dear Ms Annie R.,

Ms Annie R, we are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for bringing to our attention the great service you had received from our team members and it has been my absolute pleasure to share the same with the team accordingly. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

This hotel is a great place if you are here on vacation. Other hotels are actually connected to the Sandton City mall area, which makes coming home from dinner easier. For business, if you need internet....go someplace else.

Dear Mr Robert B.,

Mr Robert B, we are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for bringing to our attention the great service you had received from our team members and it will be my absolute pleasure to share the same with the team accordingly. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 11 November 2013

The hotel offers smallish but very comfortable rooms. Bath floors quite slippery when wet. Staff is very accommodating, welcoming and prompt to respond to every request. Free shuttle to Mandela Square but the area is quite safe for walkers The business center not well located in a noisy lobby area and web access slow. Breakfast buffet to meet every possible wish.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Heidi K, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear Mr/Ms Rochester,

Mr/Mr Rochester, we are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for your open and honest feedback. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile as it continuously helps us to further improve on our service delivery to make our guest feel home away from home.

Dear Mr/Ms Rochester, we all are looking forward to welcoming you back again to the Hilton Sandton in the near future.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Staying at this hotel, I definitely expected more!
The service was super slow, there was a mix up with payments although we had email confirmation that all was sorted, they weren't super keen on making you feel welcomed.
The room was ok but for a Hilton, I expect that they think about the smaller things. The soap in the bathroom was really crappy (!!). I wasn't happy paying for their slow internet in my room. Although they had a free shuttle to the shopping area, I would expect a free shuttle to the airport too.
I doubt I will stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Ms Nerry_Luvs_Travel,

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton during your recent visit to Johannesburg, and secondly thank you for sharing your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their wellbeing very seriously and always hope to meet and exceed our guests’ expectations.

However, it is obvious by your comments that we failed to do so during your entire stay, and you have my humble apologies. With regards to the internet services, you might be aware that this service is provided by an outside company and we are in the process of finalizing a new contract with a new internet provider, which will include an increasing of our bandwidth and complementary internet in our public area. We currently are expecting the changeover to the providers to be completed end of January 2014.

At the same time I would like to apologize for the services you received with regards to the confusion of payment and that you had to wait such a long time. Please be assured that each of our guest are highly valued, if we have created the wrong impression. Please be assured that this matter has been addressed with the team accordingly.

With regards to the shuttle to the Gautrain and Mandela Square this is run by Hilton Sandton. Most of our guests uses the Gautrain to the OR Tambo International Airport, however your feedback is highly appreciate and we will review your comments accordingly.

Ms Nerry_Luvs_Travel, I truly regret any inconvenience caused to you. Though I am not able to undo the negative impression, I would highly appreciate if you would give us another chance to prove to you, that we can do much better than what you recently have experienced with us.

Please be assured that we do look forward to a continued relationship with you, and we all are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton in sunny South Africa in the near future.

In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance for you, please do contact me at any given time. It will be always my pleasure to assist.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Hilton Sandton is a convenient business hotel if you have business in this area. staff is very friendly and helpfull. tapiyaki is very good. general restaurant less quality as the year before. the bar has a very friendly host named Albert; he knows what his guests wants

Dear Mr Antonius,

Please note that your feedback with regards to the food in our main restaurant has been taken very seriously and our Executive Chef and his team has been informed about your dissatisfaction and will review our offer and variety accordingly.

Mr Antonius, thank you for bringing to our attention that you enjoyed the Tapinyaki. The next time you will be back at the Hilton Sandton, please note that we offer a course on how to make sushi. Please feel free to contact our Tradewinds Restaurant and make a reservation, which you will really enjoy it.

Mr Antonius, we are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for bringing to our attention the great service you had received from our team members and it will be my absolute pleasure to share the same with the team accordingly. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.

Yours sincerely