“Mid-week Break”
Review of Hilton Sandton

Hilton Sandton
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I had a business breakfast at this hotel and to avoid tempting the Johburg inbound morning traffic i decided to make it a night out with my wife and stay over at the Hilton. The place was fully booked and consequently we did not get the room reserved and confirmed. Since it was only a one night stay, we were not too bothered. We had a good stay anyhow with professional, helpful and friendly staff, from the parking personnel outside reception through to the porter escorting us to our room. totally international standard all the way. The bed was remarkably (almost embarrassingly) squeaky and coupled with the fact that there was no grip to the head board, i will not recommend this room for a mid-week romantic break. I am an HHonors member and frequent the Hiltons quite regularly and I confess in Hilton's favour that this was the first squeaky bed experience. Food was above average and would work for a business outing but did not suit my total intent.

1  Thank Kenny M
Heidi K, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear Mr & Ms Oettinger,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton and for sharing your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by you, and this time with regards to the amazing stay you had with us in particular.

Mr & Ms Oettinger, I do apologise for the noise that you experienced with the bed. I do hear your frustration and fully agree with you as such incidences should not have happened in the first place. Please note that our engineering team has taken care of the issue in the meantime.

We are delighted to see that overall you enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for bringing to our attention the great service you had received. It is open and constructive feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.

We all are looking forward to welcoming you back again to the Hilton Sandton in the near future.

If I can be of any assistance for you in the meantime, please do contact me at any given time. It will be always a pleasure to assist.

HEIDI KLEINE MOELLER I Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (1,389)

Reviewed 9 April 2014

this is a lovely hotel situated in a very close proximity to the -Sandton hub- the Nelson Mandela Square - lovely restaurants close by and close enough to walk to the square(not recommended at night though) - the staff are very friendly and helpful and the buffet breakfast is quite something - beautiful pool area - and well equipped gym - overall enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Heidi K, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Ms Liz891

Ms Liz891, we are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for bringing to our attention the great service you had received from our team members and it will be my absolute pleasure to share the same with the team accordingly. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.

Kind regards

Heidi Kleine-Moeller Director of Operations

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Yes, this is the Hilton so clearly there are certain standards that are adhered to in most of the hotel. However... there is a family of geese living by the pool in the garden area, and they use the pool as their personal toilet. I did not notice the poo until I was swimming and some floated by next to me. Ugh! There was lots more on the floor of the pool, and as the day progressed, around the pool. None of the staff cleaned it up when notified, and another guest told me had been there for weeks and he had flagged it with management, with no success. The staff told me when they saw me taking the photos: "Yes, they make a mess, but what can we do?" Errrr.....remove them? I have been in many pools in other countries where geese exists and this is a first for me. None of the other guests were using the pool, and to think that kids may go in there. Yuck! Unacceptable.

If you book an executive room, ensure you are allocated one. I was not and was made to prove what I had booked. When I complained it was resolved the next day.

The food is sub-Hilton standard. The fries with my burger for room service were under-cooked. The chicken for the Caesar salad is not clean chicken breast, but the more industrial "pressed" chicken. In a country where salads are usually lovely, this was the worst quality one I had.

Executive lounge was nice and staff attentive.

Room Tip: Ask for one high up facing the court yard

Dear Ms/Mr SlartibarfastLondon,

Thank you for staying at the Hilton Sandton and for sharing your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim, being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their wellbeing very seriously and always hope to meet and exceed our guests expectations. However it is with great concern, that we failed to do so during your recent stay, for which I sincerely apologies.

With regards to the geese at the pool, previously we have received only very positive comments, especially when the young geese were still baby’s. While time went by we have been trying to keep them under control as much as possible, however as this has become indeed a bigger challenge, please note that the geese family has been removed from our premises In the meantime. Nevertheless I sincerely apologies for the unpleasant situation caused to you.

When it comes to your room service order, I do apologize once more for the dissatisfaction caused. Unfortunately, when fries are ordered via room service, it might appear that French fries are not cooked properly, the reason being once covered with the cloche, fries might wilt. However, please be assured that your feedback regarding the fries and chicken has been shared with the Chef to prevent any reoccurrence.

Ms/Mr SlartibarfastLondon, I truly regret the inconvenience caused to you during your recent stay with us. Please be assured that your feedback is very appreciated and has been taken very seriously.
We all do look forward to a continued relationship with you, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton in the near future.

In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance for you, please do contact me at any given time.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 3 April 2014

I arrived late. I needed to take a bottle of water with me to Court the next day and was leaving first thing in the morning. The front desk could not have been more helpful and organised what I needed, which saved my having to make special arrangements the following morning. The room was comfortable. Despite looking over a main road, I was not disturbed at all by the traffic that night. I would be happy to return.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Heidi K, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Mr Jeremy A.,

Mr Jeremy A, we are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for bringing to our attention the great service you had received from our team members and it will be my absolute pleasure to share the same with the team accordingly. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

a good hotel, typically hilton with the standard amenities which one would expect of a hilton hotel. the place is a bit dated and could do with a minor refurbishment but nothing major.
the rooms are nice and functional, had wifi in the room which tended to be slow at night. the breakfast was normal and the spread was standard.
the location is good and the area is relatively safe.

Room Tip: take a room on the higher floors, a decent view of the surrounding areas
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Mr/Ms MVy-13,

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton and at the same time for sharing your valuable feedback with us. Hilton prides itself with guests like you having the feeling of being at home while away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their wellbeing very seriously and always hope to meet our guests’ expectations.

Mr/Ms MVy-13, at the same time I would like to thank you for the compliment passed about our rooms and also for bringing to our attention your thoughts on our accommodation. I am pleased to inform you, that we are about to refurbish part of our public area as well as one of our floors in the very near future to come.

We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your time with us. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile, and we all are looking forward to welcoming you back again to the Hilton Sandton in the near future.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed here for one night. Hotel is clean and comfortable. Across the street is a large financial office center with several really good restaurants. Convienient shuttle service from the Gautrain station is a plus. Since our time was limited and I'm in a wheelchair, the concierge staff was really great about getting a suitable van arranged to go see Pretoria and the Rhino and Lion park. Very nice pool and garden out back, but the weather was a bit too cool for swimming (as was the water). We did want to sit by the pool and have a drink, but there was no one at the pool bar at 1pm on a Friday. Had a small problem with voltage conversion for my wheelchair power and their engineering staff had a proper transformer for us within an hour. Great customer service!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Dear Mr/Ms Nbmiami,

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton and secondly for sharing your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by you, and this time with regards to the amazing stay you had with us in particular. Hilton prides itself with guests like you having the feeling of being at home while away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their wellbeing very seriously and always hope to meet and exceed our guests’ expectations.

Mr/Ms Nbmiami, I do apologise that there was no team member to assist you when you were at the pool. Please be assured that pool is attended on daily bases until 6 pm.

Overall, we are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for bringing to our attention the great service you had received from our team members and it will be my absolute pleasure to share the same with the team accordingly. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.

Mr/Ms Nbmiami, we all are looking forward to welcoming you back again to the Hilton Sandton in the near future.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

nice stay and clean hotel, nice service , need to be more quite and more luxury, chattel was ok and the service was fine, breakfast need to include more items and great that all food in the hotel is Halal

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Heidi K, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Ms Safinaz Y.,

Ms Safinza Y, we are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for bringing to our attention the great service you had received from our team members and it will be my absolute pleasure to share the same with the team accordingly. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.