Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa
US$152
US$102
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbutler serviceluke dale robertspresidential suiteafrican artthe main hotelhigh teaprivate residencenelson mandelamolton brown toiletriesterrace restaurantboutique hotelfour seasonsgorgeous hotelcape townan oasisworld classspent one night
Reviewed 25 June 2014

First, the positive - this is a beautiful property and the rooms are lovely. The amenities in the bathroom are very good. Also, the service in the restaurant (grill) was good.

However, we had very poor service at both the front desk and spa. As to the front desk, the reception upon entry was lukewarm and not very friendly. With my credit card, I normally get an upgrade, but was told that I was not eligible for an upgrade as I already got my room choice (I had merely requested a preference of room type, which is not the same as an upgrade). When we checked in, we asked what time we should reserve the hotel car for the airport and were told 3:30 pm for a 6:30 pm flight. The front desk check in clerk said she would reserve the car for us. However, she failed to do it and upon checkout, it was a scramble to get a car. She tried to tell us that we requested a 4:30 car, which was simply untrue. She made the mistake, but tried to pin it on us. Most unprofessional.

The Spa was the absolute disgrace of the hotel. I had a 4:00 pm spa appointment. I was told to be on time and even early, which is standard procedure in spas. I was 10 minutes early and out and waiting. By almost 4:20 pm, my therapist had not come out. No one bothered to check on me and I saw the therapist go back with what appeared to be personal friends with a very young toddler. By the time the therapist came to me, she was unapologetic and rude. Because of how rude she was, I decided that it was not worth it being massaged by someone who appeared to be resentful and hostile. I figured it was because I made the spa appointment upon my arrival at the hotel. However, if they did not have room, they should not have booked the appointment. I ended up getting dressed and leaving. As I passed the front desk, the receptionist just said Ok, as I was leaving. There was no customer service at all or apologies. They simply did not care.

I would expect this type of lack of caring at a hotel that was not quite as nice at the Saxon. However, I would expect a better level of service at the Saxon. There is certainly better service at other hotels and definitely at other spas. I would give this spa a negative review.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank gourmetwashington
GeorgeCohen, Managing Director at Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear GourmetWashington,

Thank you for your review and please accept our sincerest apologies for the Saxon not living up to your expectations on the day.

This is certainly not the standard we adhere to and we strive for faultless service and to read that you did not receive the true Saxon experience is sad to read.
I will investigate this matter and make it an absolute priority, taking your constructive feedback into consideration in order for this not to happen again in future.

Again, we apologise for your unpleasant experience and will revert shortly with an outcome.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

You will not find fault with anything... no matter how long how long you stay, or how hard you look, whether on business or pleasure, with your family or on a romantic escape... your every need will be catered for by the warm and friendly staff. The gardens are magnificent, the bedrooms feel as if you are in a private villa with no one else nearby, the food will is delicious and served in an atrium where the entire roof slides open in good weather!! Coffee is served by your villa's butler and your every whim will be catered for at the drop on a hat! You will not be disappointed! Lorraine

Room Tip: If travelling with friends book rooms next to each other in a villa -- they lead into a shared entrance hall.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LorraineGalp
GeorgeCohen, Managing Director at Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear LorraineGalp,

We are truly honored to read that during your stay you received the very best experience with us. In a world where luxury has become a crucial requirement to the distinguished traveller, it’s important that luxury hotels maintain a certain mystique that invites their guests to continually return, and to see your suggestions and detailed review brings such joy to our hearts.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

This a fabulous boutique hotel in Jo'Burg. Excellent and professional service. Wonderful rooms; pity that due to World Cup matches, I only had an hour's sleep. It lived up to its reputation. Very warm reception. I will certainly be back here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sam G
GeorgeCohen, Managing Director at Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear SamG,

Our team are always more than delighted to read positive reviews and thank you so much for the wonderful comments.

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and I hope to welcome you back again very soon to spend some more time with us and on your next visit please do let pr@saxon.co.za know as we would love to make you feel even more at home with us.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This is a breathtaking property...the grounds alone are magnificent with a fabulous sculpture garden, infinite pool, The Hotel is a true work of art. Our suite was huge, comfortable, meticulously appointed in a modern African theme. They have thought of everything. Wish we could have stayed longer. First class staff as well. Sorry the restaurant was closed the evening we stayed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dh24yaya
GeorgeCohen, Managing Director at Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Dh24yaya,

Thank you for such a wonderful review and we are pleased to hear your stay was memorable. Our highly qualified, experienced team of personal butlers are always on hand to assist you and make your stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. We are sorry to hear that you were unable to experience Saxon five hundred during your stay, as it is closed on Sunday and Monday evening.

Please do let us know when you will join us again by sending an email to pr@saxon.co.za so that we can make your next Saxon visit just as memorable. Thank you again for such a lovely review.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I recently attended a birthday party in a villa at the Saxon. I really looked forward to the food as they have a very well known award-winning chef. What a disappointment! There were only bite-sized canapés. The food was really inadequate and I left hungry!!! Not what one would expect for an evening function at the Saxon.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank TravelingLizSA
GeorgeCohen, Managing Director at Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear TravelingLizSA,

Thank you for your constructive feedback. We have already spoken with the events organiser in lieu of the event and she is happy with the outcome of her meeting with the team. We are saddened to hear you did not have a pleasant experience, and while we try offer suggestions to our guests when they book events with us, it is their decision as to quantities and the menu ultimately.

Throughout the evening we offered the very best service to the guests at the party, and we are sorry you scored the service poorly along-with value. Again we apologise you had a poor experience and we are sorry a cocktail menu had been chosen for this specific function and you felt it was not enough food. Should you host your own event here one day or dine at one of our award-winning restaurants, I can assure you that you will not go home hungry.

Please accept our sincere apologies for your experience and we do hope to welcome you again here soon to experience why guests do enjoy dining with us time and again.

With Kind Regards,