“Mixed bag - friendly and unfriendly, good breakfasts, expensive internet”

Town Lodge Sandton-Grayston Drive
Ranked #28 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
UK
“Mixed bag - friendly and unfriendly, good breakfasts, expensive internet”
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Standard hotel of this chain, although I had a few hiccups on arrival. There were hairs in the bed so I asked them to change it, which they did. The cleaning staff also threw away all my packing bags (for shoes etc) whilst they were making up the room the next day, as they mistook them for rubbish, but the front desk apologised and provided more. There was one very friendly member of staff on reception on the night I arrived, but another woman who seemed quite stuck-up. Breakfast was plentiful, although you had to say whether you were having hot or cold, and fill out a card and give it to someone before you could eat anything. They also played Abba songs on repeat. There were no safes in the rooms, but you could lock valuables away in a communal safe room, which had individual lockers, and was kept locked by reception. There was a computer for internet, and you had 15 minutes free per day, after that it was expensive to access the internet. On checkout I was given a muffin, which was a nice touch.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Somerset West, South Africa
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I stay here very often since it is good value for money in Sandton and relatively close to many restaurants. I always say that the most important factor of any hotel is how good you sleep. If you sleep well, you are rested, relaxed, happy and ready to go to your meetings the next day. If you are tired, seeing clients are difficult.

Last time I stayed here I unfortunately got only 3 hours sleep. I stayed on the Grayston drive side. The road noise was unbearable and the room was cold. I switched on the heater but it had only one setting: Make the room a sauna. So I had to switch it off again and deal with the noise and cold. Next morning I find out the vent behind the aircon is open (or something - I am not sure what). So when the aircon is off, cold air rushes in and road noise comes through. I mentioned this when I checked out but I am not sure if it was followed up.

Otherwise decent size room with great shower. Breakfast is excellent.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Louis1000

Travellers are raving about these Sandton hotels

Tulare, California
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Our weekend at Town Lodge was a series of unfortunate events made worse by unfriendly staff. On Friday afternoon the desk staff struggled to produce a convincing greeting upon check-in. The card-programing machines were down so we were not issued a room key and a staff member/guard had to escort us to our room each time we wished to enter.

On our way out to dinner on Saturday evening, we passed a staff member in the stairwell screaming at a guest - threatening to kick him out of the hotel - because he had only paid his deposit, not the full fair. The screaming staff member was highly intimidating and left us weary of interacting further with the staff.

Sunday morning, we were more than happy to be checking out. We brought our bags down to the lobby and asked to access the safe where we had stowed our passports. Guest safes are located behind a locked door in the lobby which the manager had to open on previous occasions because the desk staff key did not work. Unfortunately on this morning, even the manager's key did not work. We had a flight to catch and explained the urgency of the situation. After several failed attempts, the manager called her superior - she couldn't get a hold of him. Plan B was to offer us free accommodation, which we were not at all interested in, but reluctantly agreed to if the hotel covered the cost of rescheduling our flight. As the manager began to call the airline, her superior called back saying he could be at the lodge in 20 minutes. So we waited. Fortunately the superior's key worked immediately, time stood still and we were able to make our flight. But the whole experience was very unsettling.

The two redeeming factors for Town lodge are: that the rooms are clean and comfortable, and that the last manager we dealt with (who could not access the safes) was sincerely apologetic.

We will not be staying here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Standard town lodge/city lodge fare. Room was comfortable, sizable enough. Had a desk where i could work comfortably. Large shower cubicle, good water pressure. Obviously well located for work. Breakfast was plentiful, check in, check out, baggage storage all very easy and well managed. Ordered room service thru Sam at the restaurant, arrived quickly and easily. Dont need more for a business trip, will continue to use.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Our double room (nr 170) was clean, but very small (not enough space for 4 suitcases) and the bathroom only had a shower, no bath. The high cost didn't even include breakfast. We stayed at The Westford Hotel, Sandton a few nights prior and found this Town Lodge a disappointment after a great experience at The Westford. Highly likely that we won't stay at a Town Lodge again.
There was an important rugby match in Johannesburg the night we stayed at this lodge, which is why I believe the price was elevated. Feel a bit ripped off.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Quazilogic
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 20 August 2010

The hotel was very busy when we stayed there during the FIFA world cup, thus I had to accept a smoking room. It was ok though. The rooms are quite dinky, brown and dated. All credit to maintenance staff: cleaning was top class.

It was sheer cold that week we were there, so the heater was really needed. The hotel is protected with gates and security.

Walking distance to Sandton/Nelson Mandela Square. Hotel does not feature any restaurants. Walking direction 2 NMS: when coming out from gates, go right about 2 robots (that's what they call intersections) after KFC @ McD and take a left. Walk 7 mins, pass Hilton and then turn right and walk another few mins. Know it's stupid and nothing I would do again, but I walked alone several times during late nights. Taxis are sheer expensive in SA. Paid 60-70R for a drive from hotel up to NMS. The hotel have some drivers (nice Serbian guys) working for them. Can warmly recommend The Butcher Shop & Grill. Touristic yes, but still worth it!

We encountered some mess with our reservations, but Elizabeth @ the front desk really made a difference to work out the situation. In fact, all staff are very charming and helpful.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank svensktiger
dubai
Reviewed 24 March 2010

I went to Joburg on a business trip just for 2 days. and I did choose to stay in Town Lodge only for being it close by to my meeting place and budget. I checked in on 24th Jan and checked out on 26th Jan 2010. I found this lodge a very good and safe place for short stays. Its money's worth at that cheap cost! It was just $87/- a night. The interiors are very well maintained. Rooms arr quite big to accommodate 2 persons and have all basic needs like TV, tea/coffee maker, etc. with clean surroundings and hygienical toiltes/bathrooms.
I would difinitely love to stay there next time in April when I go to Joburg. Thumbs up for a value for money hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandton
Glenalmond Hotel Sandton
Courtyard Hotel Sandton
Courtyard Hotel Sandton
#21 of 47 in Sandton
City Lodge Hotel Katherine Street
City Lodge Hotel Katherine Stree...
#148 of 223 in Greater Johannesburg
Southern Sun Katherine Street Sandton

Been to Town Lodge Sandton-Grayston Drive? Share your experiences!