Town Lodge Sandton-Grayston Drive
The Maslow(Sandton)
Hilton Sandton(Sandton)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsbudget hotelcarpe diembusiness triptea and coffee making facilitiessandton areastayed here for two nightscomfortable hotelcleaning stafffree wificomfortable stayrooms are cleanwalking distancenelson mandela squaresecurityproximityjoburg
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 January 2013

A good place to stay if you need overnight accommodation in Sandton that is inexpensive. The newer rooms on the lower ground floor in the new section were kept away from traffic noise on Grayston drive. The buffet breakfast was good. General cleanliness was good

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the front of the building by the main road
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Standard hotel of this chain, although I had a few hiccups on arrival. There were hairs in the bed so I asked them to change it, which they did. The cleaning staff also threw away all my packing bags (for shoes etc) whilst they were making up the room the next day, as they mistook them for rubbish, but the front desk apologised and provided more. There was one very friendly member of staff on reception on the night I arrived, but another woman who seemed quite stuck-up. Breakfast was plentiful, although you had to say whether you were having hot or cold, and fill out a card and give it to someone before you could eat anything. They also played Abba songs on repeat. There were no safes in the rooms, but you could lock valuables away in a communal safe room, which had individual lockers, and was kept locked by reception. There was a computer for internet, and you had 15 minutes free per day, after that it was expensive to access the internet. On checkout I was given a muffin, which was a nice touch.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I stay here very often since it is good value for money in Sandton and relatively close to many restaurants. I always say that the most important factor of any hotel is how good you sleep. If you sleep well, you are rested, relaxed, happy and ready to go to your meetings the next day. If you are tired, seeing clients are difficult.

Last time I stayed here I unfortunately got only 3 hours sleep. I stayed on the Grayston drive side. The road noise was unbearable and the room was cold. I switched on the heater but it had only one setting: Make the room a sauna. So I had to switch it off again and deal with the noise and cold. Next morning I find out the vent behind the aircon is open (or something - I am not sure what). So when the aircon is off, cold air rushes in and road noise comes through. I mentioned this when I checked out but I am not sure if it was followed up.

Otherwise decent size room with great shower. Breakfast is excellent.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Louis1000
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Our weekend at Town Lodge was a series of unfortunate events made worse by unfriendly staff. On Friday afternoon the desk staff struggled to produce a convincing greeting upon check-in. The card-programing machines were down so we were not issued a room key and a staff member/guard had to escort us to our room each time we wished to enter.

On our way out to dinner on Saturday evening, we passed a staff member in the stairwell screaming at a guest - threatening to kick him out of the hotel - because he had only paid his deposit, not the full fair. The screaming staff member was highly intimidating and left us weary of interacting further with the staff.

Sunday morning, we were more than happy to be checking out. We brought our bags down to the lobby and asked to access the safe where we had stowed our passports. Guest safes are located behind a locked door in the lobby which the manager had to open on previous occasions because the desk staff key did not work. Unfortunately on this morning, even the manager's key did not work. We had a flight to catch and explained the urgency of the situation. After several failed attempts, the manager called her superior - she couldn't get a hold of him. Plan B was to offer us free accommodation, which we were not at all interested in, but reluctantly agreed to if the hotel covered the cost of rescheduling our flight. As the manager began to call the airline, her superior called back saying he could be at the lodge in 20 minutes. So we waited. Fortunately the superior's key worked immediately, time stood still and we were able to make our flight. But the whole experience was very unsettling.

The two redeeming factors for Town lodge are: that the rooms are clean and comfortable, and that the last manager we dealt with (who could not access the safes) was sincerely apologetic.

We will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Standard town lodge/city lodge fare. Room was comfortable, sizable enough. Had a desk where i could work comfortably. Large shower cubicle, good water pressure. Obviously well located for work. Breakfast was plentiful, check in, check out, baggage storage all very easy and well managed. Ordered room service thru Sam at the restaurant, arrived quickly and easily. Dont need more for a business trip, will continue to use.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business