The positives: the price was OK considering this is located on the richest square mile in Africa. The shower was beautifully renovated. LCD TV. Bed and linen was nice. I ordered cappucino and it was OK. Location: right across Deutche Back, Johannesburg Stock Exchange and HSBC. The superb Sandton City and Nelson Mandela Square shopping malls are on the next block. By the way, I ate at Pappas in Nelson Mandela Square and was very impressed with the deco, and the prices were very, very reasonable. The hotel Generally well renovated overall but....
The negatives: The fact that the hotel is old shows in many ways, despite the renovations. The cupboards, the safe and the carpet still need renovation. The bathroom had a slight stink even when it had not been used at all. Most of the staff were not very friendly - quite an absentminded bunch. You have to PAY FOR PARKING - I have never experienced this in a Protea Hotel! Budget around R25 ($3.00) per day for overnight parking plus one extra exit. THE WORST BIT: their inhouse BULL RUN RESTAURANT!!! The chicken I ordered was exactly that: BULL. This is final proof that I will never buy from a Protea Hotel restaurant again. Yuck!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton on Maude Street, in Sandton, is located in Johannesburg's economic heartland. The hotel's charming colonial theme is accentuated with wooden elements and delicate floral accents. Each of the 330 classically-styled rooms make guests feel as though they never left home - with a king-size bed, LCD television, electronic safe and a full en-suite bathroom with a walk-in shower. Business executives are catered to with a desk, office chair and international plug points. Complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi is accessible throughout the hotel and the Wi-Fi station situated in the lobby provides convenience for guests requiring instant access to the internet. The English countryside atmosphere defines this four-star hotel as a little bit of country in the heart of Sandton. Birdsong makes guests forget that they are in a bustling metropolis. The Johannesburg Stock Exchange, Sandton Convention Centre and the city's most exclusive shopping mall are a short stroll away. A complimentary shuttle to and from the Gautrain station makes the Balalaika easily accessible. Whether it is for business or leisure, the central location and warm hospitality of the Protea Hotel Balalaika are unrivalled, making it your first and only choice when staying in Johannesburg. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Southall Travel, Marriott, Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Hotel Johannesburg
- Balalaika Hotel
- Protea Hotel Balalaika
- Sandton Hotel Balalaika
- Protea Hotel By Marriott Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton Greater Johannesburg, South Africa