I have to be in Midrand for business a couple of times a year, and the Balalaika has become my favorite place to stay. It is very close to Nelson Mandela Square, but because of the nice garden still appears to be in the country side.
The rooms are cosy, the breakfast buffet is really great and the staff very professional. The Lords Bar is a Highlight - great setting, very good barkeeps and when I first came, you were even allowed to smoke there ( I would not know now as I stopped smoking). Fantastic place for a sundowner.
I also never had a problem to get a complimentary early check-in which is a nice extra.
Negative: Call me stupid, but despite having stayed in the Hotel a number of times, I sometimes have difficulties to find my room - there are several buildings and floors. Better signs could help. The gym in the Hotel is also not really nice, it is located in an unattractive basement room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton on Maude Street, in Sandton, is located in Johannesburg's economic heartland. The hotel's charming colonial theme is accentuated with wooden elements and delicate floral accents. Each of the 330 classically-styled rooms make guests feel as though they never left home - with a king-size bed, LCD television, electronic safe and a full en-suite bathroom with a walk-in shower. Business executives are catered to with a desk, office chair and international plug points. Complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi is accessible throughout the hotel and the Wi-Fi station situated in the lobby provides convenience for guests requiring instant access to the internet. The English countryside atmosphere defines this four-star hotel as a little bit of country in the heart of Sandton. Birdsong makes guests forget that they are in a bustling metropolis. The Johannesburg Stock Exchange, Sandton Convention Centre and the city's most exclusive shopping mall are a short stroll away. A complimentary shuttle to and from the Gautrain station makes the Balalaika easily accessible. Whether it is for business or leisure, the central location and warm hospitality of the Protea Hotel Balalaika are unrivalled, making it your first and only choice when staying in Johannesburg. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Agoda, Southall Travel, Expedia, Splitty, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Hotel Johannesburg
- Balalaika Hotel
- Protea Hotel Balalaika
- Sandton Hotel Balalaika
- Protea Hotel By Marriott Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton Greater Johannesburg, South Africa