“Nice and safe area” 4 of 5 bubbles

Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton
Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Sandton
“Nice and safe area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Nice hotel. Service and restoran are very good. Near to great shopping center (Mandela Square) and flea market.
For early check out consider that breakfast open 6:30 h. Wifi very good and free. No problema with room temperature

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Balalaika_Management, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear ‘Teodoro W’.
Thank you for your positive feedback on ‘tripadvisor’. We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay. Your kind words are much appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
General Manager & TEAM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Carlsbad, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed for two nights before heading out to Kruger Park and private reserves. It was a good spot to meet up with friends, get our bearings, have the care delivered, eat in, etc. Internet was down and a few minor things were not perfect, but overall, it was what we needed.

The hotel dining room serves a very goon buffet breakfast, with a wide variety of fresh foods and made-to-order egg dishes. Service was good. The adjoining restaurant for dinner was convenient and the food decent.

The KLM flight crew was checking in as we did--a good sign.

Finally, the area is a safe one by Joburg standards.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
      Rooms
Dear ‘Bruce M’.
Your feedback on ‘tripadvisor’ is much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to do so. How wonderful that your all round experience was such a pleasant one.
We look forward in welcoming you back again soon.
Northern California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

This hotel does have character befitting its age. I see that Marriott has agreed to buy the Protea chain. I am not especially a Marriott fan, but that will probably result in some much needed upgrades. I visited for 4 nights in July 2014 -- winter. It was impossible to regulate the room temperature (notwithstanding a simple hand-held device), and there was no heat at all coming into the bathroom. Quite nippy for morning showers. There was a half-centimeter gap between the shower door bottom and the shower frame, such that water poured out of the shower on to the bathroom floor. Only placing a towel on the inside of the shower door whilst showing kept the water from running out of the bathroom into the hall. Mine was not the only room with this issue.

Most of the time, wi-fi did not work in my room, which was annoying because my room was close to the main building.

The gym was unavailable (renovation). With the size of the hotel, it seems that the gym could have been moved elsewhere. If priced competitively, I would probably stay here again because this hotel is not a cookie cutter Marriott type hotel ....

United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

I have now stayed at this hotel twice - once a year ago and the second time in the last month. On both occasions the service was poor and the much touted "free wifi" simply did not work. I could neither connect my blackberry nor my laptop. When I complained the staff initially tried to say that it was my fault because I had not logged on correctly but after several hours of one of their IT people working through one of their managers they only managed to get me intermittent connectivity on my blackberry. As a result I was unable to communicate with my business or personal contacts in JNB and I had to spend much of each day sitting in a coffee shop in a nearby mall (where the wifi worked perfectly) to try to conduct my business. Unfortunately this was not safe at night so and I therefore failed to conclude a lot of important things.

I twice emailed (from the coffee shop) the General Manager and THREE times asked to speak to him by leaving messages at the front desk. Finally on my last morning there he called me and once again tried to put the blame on me by saying that I had refused to allow one of his IT staff to change settings on my laptop - this was simply untrue - I allowed any of the hotel staff full access to my equipment but at no time whatsoever did an IT specialist come to see me and indeed one staff member did change one setting on my laptop but this had no effect.

The General Manager again tried to say it was my equipment but to my personal knowledge at least THREE other people had exactly the same problem while I was staying there as I was present when they complained to the front desk - they were also told that there was no problem and that they must be doing something wrong!!!

I suggested to the General Manager that he keep a record of such issues as (at least in my opinion) there is a systemic failure in their IT connectivity but he declined this suggestion and once again said there was no problem.

Even when I did get intermittent connectivity on my Blackberry internet searches for sites such as bbc.co.uk were blocked (as an unsuitable site).

When I asked what they were going to do to assist me they offered my ONE phone call to one of my associates and a bottle of wine. I asked to check out twice so I could go to another hotel where the wifi worked but as I had paid in advance they refused to give me a refund so was stuck there.

I will NEVER stay in this hotel again and probably not in any PROTEA hotel either - my company will also use other hotels when in RSA as clearly Protea are not suited to the business of the modern world.

The General Manager will deny this but I am quite prepared to swear in court to this experience if he wishes to take action against me for defaming his hotel and him.

Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank simoncross1
Dear ‘ Smnuk’.
Your feedback on ‘tripadvisor’ refers.
We believe that we had tried our utmost to assist you. Our apologies if you felt that this was not to your satisfaction.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

A nice cosy hotel in a good location with good people.

Uncle Y (The concierge) gets a special mention to make our stay a pleasant one.

The building is dated 1949 and has its charm. Some staff are here since years and take pride in their work. Some new blood / new age hospitality staff will add to the place.

Overall a good experience !

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Balalaika_Management, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear ‘V M’.
Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback on ‘tripadvisor’. Your kind words about the Staff, especially about our Concierge are much appreciated. It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your all round stay with us.
We look forward in welcoming you back again soon.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

My husband and I booked for two nights from 24 July 2014. We were given a room right next to the construction which was noisy and annoying. We endured about 4 hours of noise until we decided to call reception and ask to be moved to another room. We were then moved to another room that smelt like paint and had to ask to be moved again. The fact of the matter is that we were advised there were many other rooms available away from the noise and this begs the question why we were even given the room right next to the construction.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ker F
Balalaika_Management, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear ‘Ker F’.
Thank you for taking the time to write on ‘tripadvisor’. Please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointment and inconvenience you experienced due to being given a room close to the construction. Your service experience by no means reflects the high standard we are usually proud to offer. It is always of great importance to us that all our valued GUESTS feel as special & valued as they are and that they leave our hotel well relaxed and satisfied. May we ask if you addressed your dissatisfaction with one of the Managers during your stay?
Again, please accept our sincere apologies. Please feel free to contact Christine, our GUEST Relations Manager (christine@balalaika.co.za) , should there be anything else she can assist you with. It would truly be wonderful to welcome you back and to show you our true service.
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We regularly use this hotel when in the Sandton area. It is not the best in any topic (price, service, location, furnishings) compared to other options within 2km, but it is acceptable in all. For the price it is the best option and it has the Bull Run attached to it. In summer I imagine the pools are nice too.

Room Tip: All are nice