I struggle to understand why anyone stays here with the array of similarly priced hotels in the area. I stayed for two nights on business and unfortunately I cannot recommend the hotel and would most likely not return.
The hotel is in desperate need of a makeover. Torn curtains in the room, dirty carpets throughout, cracked tiles and generally peeling interior. The room that I had on the second floor in the rear section was very noisy.
On the upside the staff is generally really friendly and try their best to make work with what they've got.
I arrived at breakfast and there was not a single cleared table available with an exceptionally dirty breakfast area receiving guests. After waiting for five minutes the front desk luckily told me about a place where I could buy breakfast just up the road. A pity that guests staying on a B&B basis have to walk elsewhere to get breakfast. Standing an observing the chaos in the breakfast room it appears to be both a case of simply just insufficient capacity and not enough staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton on Maude Street, in Sandton, is located in Johannesburg's economic heartland. The hotel's charming colonial theme is accentuated with wooden elements and delicate floral accents. Each of the 330 classically-styled rooms make guests feel as though they never left home - with a king-size bed, LCD television, electronic safe and a full en-suite bathroom with a walk-in shower. Business executives are catered to with a desk, office chair and international plug points. Complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi is accessible throughout the hotel and the Wi-Fi station situated in the lobby provides convenience for guests requiring instant access to the internet. The English countryside atmosphere defines this four-star hotel as a little bit of country in the heart of Sandton. Birdsong makes guests forget that they are in a bustling metropolis. The Johannesburg Stock Exchange, Sandton Convention Centre and the city's most exclusive shopping mall are a short stroll away. A complimentary shuttle to and from the Gautrain station makes the Balalaika easily accessible. Whether it is for business or leisure, the central location and warm hospitality of the Protea Hotel Balalaika are unrivalled, making it your first and only choice when staying in Johannesburg. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Splitty, Southall Travel, Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Hotel Johannesburg
- Balalaika Hotel
- Protea Hotel Balalaika
- Sandton Hotel Balalaika
- Protea Hotel By Marriott Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton Greater Johannesburg, South Africa