“Fairlawn’s is first class!”

Fairlawns Boutique Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 48 Hotels in Sandton
Atlanta, Georgia
“Fairlawn’s is first class!”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Fairlawn’s is first class! Spacious rooms with a staff that is focused on you. The property itself is an attraction, very scenic and picturesque. Stayed three nights but the staff knew us so well I felt as if they built it for us!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 December 2013

My arrival, I had to wait for a porter to take my luggage, on arrival in my suite, my phone wasn't working, I travel from the USA, and was relying on my telephone to work, they came out four time to fix it, at the end after about 2 days, the relocated me to a smaller suite, yet same price?
Every morning at 6:45 I was awoken by the cleaning staff, sweeping the corridors and floors and banging the brooms against the walls, needless to say I was a zombie, so I asked the manger to please ask them to stop the banging, they told me I must be imagine it? So the next morning I was yet again rudely awoke by the broom bashing corners, so I opened my door and filmed her with my camera, I then proceeded to show the manager, who then told the owner, and they did nothing!
I tried to use the sauna, it wasn't working? So then I tried to use the Steam room, and was told it takes an hour to heat??
I then went to the gym, to work out, and I noticed all the cardio machines were plugged out?? So then I pugged the elliptical in and started working out, I took a one min break to get some water, well what do you know??? The water filter machine was out of order! So I had gone to the restroom to get a sip of water and on my return to the cardio, and old man walked over to me and told me to please turn the machine off when I don't use it and also to turn the fans off in the gym as they don't have help in the gym ?????
I will never go back there, as the last night I went to the restaurant to have dinner by myself, the owner and his wife was there, no one else in the restaurant, they totally ignored me and walked right pass me without saying hello, good night or a singe thing, but gave me a nasty look???
WORSE HOTEL I EVER STAYED AT AND MY STAY WAS SUPPOSE TO BE 2 WEEKS, 14 NIGHTS AT A $1000.00 A NIGHT I EXPECTED A BIT BETTER. SO I BOOKED OUT AFTER 8 DAYS.... COULDNT HANDLE IT.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank ISABELIL69
SouthAfrica
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We recently(the evening of the 11th and 12th December 2013) had the pleasure of escaping builders doing renovations in our home and "camping" out at Fairlawn's. We were fortunate enough to be able to be allocated one of the theme rooms( It was around the time of Mandellas funeral and the were no accommodations available anywhere) and it was delightful.The bed was comfortable and I slept like a log on both evenings, for a brief moment I actually thought that this was holiday time.
The restaurant was sublime, from the faire to the service and decor...they have really upped their game from a few years previous when it was nowhere near as good as it currently is.
All the staff, with exception of none, were fantastic...well trained, friendly and courteous.

The amenities , like the gym and spa, although not used this trip I have used previously on a number of occasions are top notch.
The only down side was a leaking skylight in the room and unfortunately when it rained and boy oh boy, those high veld cloud bursts, you gotta love em, when it rains it rains and as said the skylight leaked, a bit like Niagra falls, fortunately it is in the bathroom and with enough towels we stemmed the tide, barring that, absolutely delightful and a wonderful spot of sanity in the surrounding jungle

Room Tip: Watch for the leaking skylight in the french themed room. Stunning fireplace for cold evenings
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Lovely hotel and had lunch in a lovely and peaceful setting.Service good and had a risotto and egg salad.Fairly expensive but well presented and different.This place is for those that want away from the hustle and bustle of Sandton area.Would certainly visit again and perhaps do a stayover. .

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
UK
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two days at the Fairlawns in Johannesburg last week. Comfortably the best hotel I have stayed in to date in Joburg and recommended warmly.

A number of positives - large light airy and charismatic rooms, superb food and wine, excellent pool and above all first rate very large gym. As staying on business I didn't have time to test the spa but it looks very nice.

This is a calm oasis in bustling Joburg. Couple of areas of note:

1. This is Morningside so 15 mins or so from Sandton CBD
2. Taxis were twice a problem for me. I am sure the hotel will be improving its list of taxi suppliers. Residents may also want to have their own back up.

All in all though a strong 5/5.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SonnyCrock
Simi Valley, California
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Impeccable decor, style, service, rooms & food. Outstanding 5 Star Hotel ask for any room except the white on white 'Jimmy Carter' room, you will love it. Don't miss the bar or garden & pool area. August 2013 with Jane Lee & Larry Winter's Town & Country Tour

Room Tip: All different all wonderful but we didn't care for the 'white on white' President Jimmy...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
ChrisSchutte, Sales & Marketing at Fairlawns Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the lovely review.

Fairlawns is always striving for more in order to remain a unique, exclusive up-market sanctuary for travellers from all parts of the world and we appreciate your positive feedback.

We trust the remainder of your trip was just as memorable and hope to host you again in the future.

The Fairlawns Team
Allen, Texas
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I have just returned from an amazing 10-night stay in this lovely boutique hotel in Sandton. Fairlawns was highly recommended by both my colleagues and my company, as it is only 5 minutes from our offices and is a serene and beautiful alternative to a traditional business hotel.

The staff is exceptionally attentive and polite. Special thanks to Zene in the front office - an outstanding young woman who made me feel as welcome as an old friend from the beginning of my stay. I looked forward to seeing her each morning and missed her when she was off. Larry, the Food and Beverage department head, not only runs a top-notch department but takes the time to get to know the guests. He and I talked on a number of occasions about his beautiful country, and on the next to last day of my stay, he brought me a magazine with an article he thought I might enjoy reading on the plane. That's a touch I won't soon forget. His staff learns your preferences immediately and never fails to delight.

The food is creative, fresh, and expertly prepared and presented. The head Chef is from CapeTown, and the special touches he puts into every meal are worth noting. I entertained colleagues several times and never once had an item I didn't enjoy thoroughly, nor did they. I especially recommend the Scottish salmon - so good I had it two nights! The chick pea salad is delicious, and the white truffle risotto is unbelievably creamy and rich. The breakfast buffet and the "cooked" breakfasts are exceptional - especially the eggs benedict - and the peaceful atmosphere in the restaurant lends a lovely start or ending to the day. The outside venue overlooking the grounds and pool is a beautiful place to have a drink or simply relax and catch up on email.

The hotel is tastefully decorated and feels more like a country home than a hotel. Each room is different - decorated by the owner - and the touches are unique and comfortable. It's hard to find fault with much at Fairlawns.

So why not five stars? Truthfully, this hotel is very, very close. Had it not been for some slight lapses with the housekeeping staff, I would give this special property 5 stars, and the lapses are minor irritants rather than real problems: Leaving clean towels but failing to leave a face cloth; restocking shampoo but not shower gel; leaving only decaf coffee; forgetting to leave bottled water. My guess is that the housekeeper may have been short on some supplies when servicing the room, but instead of making note of what was missing, she simply serviced with what she had. NOTE: As soon as I called Zene and asked for something that was missing, it was instantly sorted, so as I said, this is an irritant rather than a criticism.

In summary: I would not only recommend Fairlawns to colleagues, family and friends, but I look forward to returning here again whenever my business takes me to Johannesburg. I only hope that Zene and Larry are still there when I return, and I wish Mr. and Mrs. Thacker continued success with this beautiful home away from home.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new part of the hotel - built just prior to the World Cup - are "eco-friendly"...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
ChrisSchutte, Sales & Marketing at Fairlawns Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review on our Hotel, and most importantly, thank you for choosing Fairlawns as your home away from home.

Any constructive feedback is always a benefit to us, as we are constantly striving to improve our services to our guests.

It was a great pleasure hosting you for your 10-night stay, we hope it won't be your last and look forward to seeing you again in the future!

The Fairlawns Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandton
Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa
Hilton Sandton
Hilton Sandton
#13 of 48 in Sandton
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,243 reviews

Been to Fairlawns Boutique Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!