“Great location, wonderful service” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Sandton Sun
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Sandton
North Charleston, South Carolina, Usa
“Great location, wonderful service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

We loved our stay at this property and will return on furture visits. The location made it ideal for touring, as well as, shopping. The continental breakfast included everything that you could imagine.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

1 Thank Joyce And David L
Brett D, General Manager at Sandton Sun, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sandton Sun and for taking the time to share your experience with other Travellers. We truly value your thoughts and will take great pleasure out of sharing this with our team.

If there was anything further, however small which could have enhanced your stay or would improve on your next stay please feel free to drop me a short e mail.

Thank you again for staying with us and please also consider our other properties within the Tsogo Sun Group.

Brett Davidge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

Spent 4 nights at this absolutely fabulous, glitzy, cosy hotel at a great location! Went as a family of three and had a fantastic time. Room was quite spacious and clean with a great view. As it's located in a massive shopping mall, all meals were quite an exciting adventure, with several great restaurants to choose from. We decided to sample the hotel breakfast on one of our days there and we were spoiled to bits. I particularly loved the Peach juice. Its definately worth trying. The shopping experience is quite exhilarating but extremely exhausting, with a great variety of shops along kilometres of shopping arcade.Highly recommended:))

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Helen L

Kuwait City, Kuwait
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

The rooms are very spacious, and very clean, however the furniture and the design are a bit old.

the beds are comfortable, the staff are semi friendly, we had a little issue and they didn't seem to know how to solve and they woke me up in the middle of the night because apparently they didn't know how to fix the problem.. thankfully the issue was solved the next day, however its inexcusable to deal with a customer the way they did.

they have a really nice roof top lounge, highly recommended. and the best part of the hotel is its directly connected to the mall and the convention centre.

their breakfast is ok, and the facilities in the hotel are nice.

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sandton Sun recently and for sharing your experience with us. I was most disappointed that one of our team did not resolve the issue you had in the appropriate manner and please accept my personal apologies for this.

Thank you again for your comments, we are constantly looking for ways in which we can improve on the product and service we offer. If there is anything further, however small which you feel could have enhanced on your time here or you would like to see included on a future visit, please just drop me a short note.

Thank you again for staying with us and please feel free to contact me directly on your next visit so I can personally oversee any future visits to Sandton Sun.

Warmest Regards

brett.davidge@tsogosun.com
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

Love where this hotel is located. Surrounded by everything you could need. More especially you do not have to wonder about the unsafe streets of Johannesburg.
We chose to eat in the hotel our first night. We chose not to eat in the hotel again after that. We sat for 20 minutes waiting for our order to be taken. 3 items I tried to order were not available (mussels, pork belly and another fish starter). This was at 2030 in the evening. After another 20 minutes we still hadn't been offered bread. We had a job trying to get our waiters attention even when he was stood in front of us. When we wanted drinks we chose to go to the bar ourselves rather than wait. My beef was over cooked when it did turn up.
Most of the staff were polite but a couple of the bar staff were a bit surly. The bar can be heard from the lower floors according to some of my colleagues.
The rooms were clean and fully stocked. The beds comfy.
The elevators are a pain because the key card doesn't always work and you are on the move past your floor before it acknowledges you are a guest.
Receptionist were all charming.
All in all though it is the location why I mark this hotel so high. For me not having to venture out onto the streets is a bonus in an unsafe unfamiliar city.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sandton Sun and for sharing your feedback with us. We truly value all comments and utilise them in the ongoing improvement of the product and services we offer.

I was disappointed that you found the restaurant not to your satisfaction. This is certainly not the standards we aspire to at Sandton Sun and please accept my sincere apologies for this. I will ensure our Food and Beverage Manager is made aware of this and rectifies it immediately.

We are constantly looking for ways in which we can improve so if there is anything further however small which you feel would have improved on your time here or could perhaps enhance a future visit, please feel free to drop me a short note.

Warmest regards
Brett.davidge@tsogosun.com
Nelspruit, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

Attention to detail and accommodation of a very high standard. Widest variety at the buffet breakfast I have ever seen. Great architecture and great city views. Room even had an expresso machine, free wifi allocation an added bonus.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

We are delighted that you enjoyed your Breakfast and I will take great pleasure in sharing this with the team.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Check in was quick and very friendly. The bedrooms felt dark but well appointed. A nespresso coffee machine was very welcome. Also appreciated the Bose docking station for my ipod. There was a complimentary soft drinks mini bar. Complimentary wi-fi worked in the room and was easy to connect. The bed was comfortable.

The outside terrace was great for drinks and the bar area had a good buzz to it, although here, I noticed that the service was slow.

You will need to bring your earplugs as the rooms overlook an atrium that runs through the hotel - this means that the noise from the bar area does carry.

Overall hotel felt dated in the decor but the staff were friendly and service was ok.

It was great that the hotel was attached to a shopping mall and a five minute stroll to Nelson Mandela Square.

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sandton Sun recently and for sharing your experience with us. I was most disappointed that you found the hotel decor to be dated and please accept my apologies for this. I will ensure your thoughts are considered and incorporated into our future refurbishment programme.

Warmest Regards

brett.davidge@tsogosun.com
St Martins, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

I stayed at the hotel as it was one of those chosen for those attending a big conference. First impressions weren't good due to the nightmare of registration for the conference and the fact the hotel did not have our booking. We were left waiting for an hour after having been told a room was being prepared, only to find that they weren't acknowledging our booking until the conference organisers confirmed it. It took 3 hours to sort out.

Eventually, this was sorted and I got a room. This was a busy time for the hotel and I had the distinct impression this was a room only rarely used. The view was of the attached multi-storey car park, the TV was damaged and there was no mirror anywhere near where the hairdryer was wired.

Aside from that, the bed was very comfy and I slept very well every night. The tea and coffee making facilities were good as well, though the bathroom looked like it could do with a thorough clean.

The communal areas were excellent and there were great places to hang out, especially the terrace area. The lifts were awkward to operate, using your room card, they often didn't read them properly, so it was a bit of a lottery whether you got the floor you wanted.

There is a spa, which my colleague used and a very limited fitness room. The only pool is outdoors and it wasn't heated, which was disappointing.

The food was excellent and certainly couldn't be faulted. In fact, this is the best part of the hotel. There is an open kitchen and what they turned out was delicious and not bad value, certainly compared to European city prices.

The one good thing about the hotel is that it is connected to the convention centre and shopping centre by walkways and there is security protection so you feel very safe.Nelson Mandela Square nearby was great for food too.

All in all, an OK hotel if you are attending a conference and not intending staying in your room for much time. Not a place for a holiday though.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up and facing the road, not the car park!