The Capital Empire
US$116
US$104
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssandton cityamerican embassyfully equipped kitchenbedroom apartmentwalking distancerivonia roadfantastic locationmandela squareexcellent accommodationfitness centerrooms are modernenjoyed my stayshuttle servicebusiness tripgautrain stationpleasant stayconvenient location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I am told that this establishment is a five star rating. Clearly I did not get the memo because five star ratings are not what they used to be. I would rate this as four star at a stretch. The design is exquisite and the receptionist on arrival was excellent. I had never been here but he called me on my first name, impressive. He even moved my room to a better location, as this was my first visit. The food in the restaurant was better than other establishments in the group, actually very good. The furniture in the restaurant is beautiful but not practical and I can predict now already that it is going to look well used after a year or so.

In the room I had no remote control and no instruction book on arrival. I also tried to dial the front desk and the number simply rang so I called the hotel from my cellphone to ask for the missing remote.

My other comments on the room are designed for the benefit of the management team and shareholders. The design of the room is good and well intended; in fact it is very good. The execution is poor mainly due to the low quality of the furnishings and poor workmanship. For example the bedding is not good quality linen. The rug in the room is looking as though it was bought in China town and already looking sad after two months. The tiles have been cut with a blunt blade or under qualified tiller. The grouting in-between the tiles is of an inconsistent color. The sliding glass door on the bathroom is very noisy. The mirror frame on the wall is warped and I could go on and on, clearly somebody was not doing his or her job properly as a project manager. And again the floors are ice cold so bring your own slippers as the hotel does not supply these. I will stay here again but lets all understand that this place is not what it was intended to be and lets charge a fair room rate. Holistically I still rate 20 West as the best in the EAH group of apartments.

Room Tip: Bring your own slippers and secure a good rate. I would recommend the restaurant as a good place to eat.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Burnedette, Guest Relations Manager at The Capital Empire, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Mr. “GrantH490”,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay at Empire Executive Apartments and Hotel. I can assure you that your feedback is highly valued and will be used constructively to consistently improve our product and service standards.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay. Your feedback is certainly not reflective of the levels of service and product standards we strive to offer to every single guest of our hotel and your feedback is seen in a very serious light. We will be getting our project manager in to inspect the room you stayed in and take necessary corrective action.

Guest feedback forms a vital part of our business and the input we receive from our guests is imperative for us to ensure that your expectations are being met and exceeded. Without your comments, we would never know whether you leave our establishment completely satisfied, but more importantly, leave disappointed and dissatisfied!

Thank you for assisting us in our ongoing drive for quality and enabling us to improve the hospitality offered to our guests.

Your interest and concern are much appreciated. I do hope you will allow us the opportunity to be of service to you again and welcoming you to the Empire Executive Apartments and Hotel again soon.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Welcome and check in from the staff was extreemly helpfull, rooms are lovely and clean with great appliances and ameneties. Breakfast was delicious and overall our stay was thoroughly enjoyable - thank you and we will be back!!

Room Tip: 412 , 413 & 414 are spacious, interleading yet private.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rebecca769
Burnedette, Guest Relations Manager at The Capital Empire, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2014

Dear “Rebecca769”,

Thank you for the excellent review. It is truly wonderful to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.

We are definitely looking forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed here twice now, thinking the first experience was just down to teething problems due to recent opening, but second was worse than first.
Service is poor, you get the sense that the staff are not well trained, are not exceptional or experienced in luxury accommodation and still a lot of repairs and checks that interfere with guests privacy.
The last straw was when I had to take a shower ahead of an important meeting with a bucket and bottles of water - I had to ask and find out at the last minute that there was a burst water pipe, so the hotel had no running water, though blamed on a municipal problem and could be down to bad luck....just to many issues came up on both visits.....I would advise the hotel be closed, rechecked, rehire and relaunched.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Michael A
Burnedette, General Manager at The Capital Empire, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

ear “Michael A”

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay with the Empire Executive Apartments and Hotel.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced in regards to the water shortage.Unfortunately this matter was completely out of the hotel’s control and we took all possible steps to resolve this as quickly as possible.

Please also accept my sincerest apologies in regard to the poor service you have experienced during your stay. This is certainly not reflective of the levels of service standards we strive to offer every single guest of our hotel and I assure you that all necessary corrective measures will be taken to resolve this.

Yours Sincerely,

Garnet Basson

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Hotel opened about a month ago, well located in Sandton, behind the American Embassy and a short walk from the Gautrain. Also walking distance to the Sandton City and Sandton Square shopping malls, which means you have access to some of the best restaurants and shopping on offer. Hotel is great for business trips and leisure. I stayed in a normal double room, beautifully furnished and nice big shower. Room has a balcony and a safe in the room. Food served very good, dining room is on the ground floor with option of outside setting next to a swimming pool. Gym on the first floor. Comfortable bed, amenities in room. Will definitely stay here again and highly recommend (and not badly priced considering it is Sandton)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Ingrid C
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Looking for a fresh and new experience this hotel is it, new this opened a day to my checking. Everything is perfect and lovely, there breakfast good. Staying for 5days there is worth it. The staff are very courteous and trained for the job. The location is very good and accessible to anywhere is just on the major rood.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 1st floor
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bolaji O

Dear “Bolaji O”,

Thank you so much for writing the first review about our beautiful new property.
We truly appreciate the kind words and are very proud to know that we have lived up to your expectations.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind Regards,