“Soweto hotel”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Soweto
London, United Kingdom
“Soweto hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

I have stayed in hotels most weekends, for the past eighteen years. This Hotel was a very pleasant surprise. Like everyone who travels to this area I was wary, as I was to spend almost a week here. I read the reviews and felt a little better about the whole thing.
The room I was in overlooked the market, I was on the second or third floor.
The food was tops, Mind you I only had breakfast each morning but that was excellent in this case. Too many posh hotels have been found wanting in this field.

The room was pleasant nicely furnished and clean.
All the staff were great, friendly, helpful and professional.
If you are visiting the area don't be put off by what the media paints, this hotel fits in very well for a short stay. The view from the room might not be great (it's a bit rough to the eye) but for me, that adds to the whole trip. (I loved it) The Hotel is safe and at no point did I feel unsafe and I'm a softy.
A wedding party walked passed the Hotel when I was waiting on a Taxi and I got some great colourful photos. The Hotel has a very good value taxi and some journeys might be complementary

My only downer during my stay was the Internet was too slow for me. I enjoyed my short time in Johannesburg and this Hotel was great for exploring this area and very handy for some top local attraction. I am back next year and will book a night here with my family. So Thankyou Soweto, you are great. :-)

Room Tip: Go on the higher floors and I found over looking the market was interesting.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Pretoria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

I stayed over with my wife to celebrate her 27th birthday and she was blown away by the 5 star treatment from the security guard to management and accommodation and food made her want to skip work the next day.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Tebogo M
Greg H, Manager at The Soweto Hotel on Freedom Square, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Tebogo,

We are most pleased that you experienced a stay that we hope all our guests do, and hope that you will be back again soon.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

This place is top. It is comfortable, and even for me, and trust me I am a big guy, the beds were great and I slept very well.

I was staying here for 3 night this month and it was a great base for what I needed. The staff were fun, the service was good, the place is well kept and clean. The rooms are a very good size and the style is kinda cool, quite african. Breakfast is good, but I could have done with a lot more healthy stuff.

Over all this is a good, no a very good hotel, great value, and super cool hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

the rooms are lovely with authentic South African decorations. a cup of coffee on the balcony overlooking the the historic freedom square makes for a great morning. the breakfast buffet is very good and the staff is very helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Seilatsatsi
Greg H, Manager at The Soweto Hotel on Freedom Square, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear Seilatsatsi,

Thank you for your review. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back to the Soweto Hotel and Conference Centre soon.

Kind Regards,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

I had a wonderful 3 days at this hotel. The staff are exceptional and will go out of their way to make you feel welcome.

Rooms are nice though not at the same 4 star level that would be found in England. They are very big though and very clean. My room had a balcony that was enormous and would be great in the summer. The area should not put visitors off. The hotel is in a very deprived area of Soweto but you will find local people very friendly and very keen to talk. It is not safe, however,to venture out at night .

Food was excellent and, coming from England, fantastic value for money. A 3 course meal will cost you about 10 pounds and the price of drinks is again great value.

I would totally recommend this hotel. It,s the staff who make it and I would love to stay there again!

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Stephen O
Greg H, Manager at The Soweto Hotel on Freedom Square, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear Stephen,

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that, you would be willing to recommend the hotel to friends and colleagues. We hope to welcome you back again soon in the near future!

Kind Regards,

Greg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

I stayed here for two nights as part of a work meeting, and we had an incredible visit. The hotel's managing director also met with us-- and shared her story on launching this hotel despite all the challenges. The building is not much to look at from outside--seems to be an odd long building of cement and funky blocks. But on the inside, the decor is classy with many nice, warm touches and historical photos. Check-in was fast, friendly and efficient. My spotlessly clean room was exactly as pictured on their tripadvisor site--- with an amazing large picture of a young Mandela smiling in a small group of people. The bed was comfy, lots of pillows. The room was more of a suite-- with a bedroom, sitting room+desk, and closet area plus large, clean and well-appointed bathroom. The shower water had a mind of its own and switched from very hot to very cold---which was actually a bit dangerous-- i hope they can fix this. My room also had a balcony and lots of windows to see Union Street-- which is a busy area with shops and street vendors. The room was quiet at night, and during the day i could hear (pleasant, good) sounds from the street. The meals were good, nice quality, diverse offering-- for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Everyone in the hotel was so friendly and helpful--- at checkin, checkout, at the bar, at the meals, with luggage, etc. Overall, a great experience-- and i'd recommend Soweto Hotel for business or tourists.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank jenabaindelhi
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012

The hideous building looks like a soviet-era bunker in a space cleared from a packed and chaotic slum. On one side is a messy but buzzing shopping area and the other a desolate and dilapidated plaza with a lot of interesting but poorly maintained heritage sights.

Inside the hotel is pretty generic with a few ethnic decor nods to the area and basic amenities. There are free computers in the lobby, a bar, meeting rooms and a fair restaurant and nothing else to do. The rooms are oddly designed with lots of nooks and crannies. The bed was good, air-conditioning quiet and shower poor. Cleanliness was spotty; sheets were fine, two of four towels not and appliances and restaurant cutlery best wiped yourself before use.

The area felt completely secure at all times with high police visibility. It was very quiet at night. I highly recommend a visit to the area on a locally-guided tour. If you want to spend a night, at most two, in Soweto and not brave a township BnB then this is a fine option but set your luxury expectations to mediocre.

Room Tip: South side rooms (odd numbers) face the market and township. The north side faces the featureless pl...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank BadgerCT
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soweto
Soweto Hotel & Conference Centre
The Reef Hotel
#26 of 68 in Johannesburg
Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg
Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa

Been to The Soweto Hotel on Freedom Square? Share your experiences!