“It's a statue.”

US$73.71*
Soweto and Johannesburg Guided Day Tour
Ranked #2 of 22 things to do in Soweto
More attraction details
Owner description: The 1976 photograph of slain thirteen-year old Hector Pieterson, carried by a friend while his grieving sister runs alongside, is a chilling reminder that South African was changed thereafter.
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Nothing more. The really good stuff is in the museum, where you'll learn about what happend and what's the statue about.

1  Thank svetb
There are newer reviews for Hector Pieterson Memorial

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The memorial is really worth visiting if you grew up in South Africa in the 70s and more especially if you were in Johannesburg. The riots in 1976 were triggered by the wish of one group to subjugate another. The platform was education. The greatest sadness, as far as I am concerned, is that we as a country don't seem to have learned from this and that the education system for the average South African is still sub par.

1  Thank SaxonLodge
Reviewed 21 May 2014

A wonderful tribute to a very brave young man. Really worth making the trip, reading the story and seeing the picture. Its a very peaceful area and there are benches that you can sit on. A really nice place to just sit down, take it all in and reflect on how far South Africa has come

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I have been to the memorial three times. The first time I did a self tour. The second time I went with friends and we had no tour guide.
Last Sunday (18 May 2014), I took some of my ex colleagues who are from West Africa to the HP Memorial. We had a guide by the name of Poloko. He did the memorial tour with us and we also did a walking tour of vilakazi Street precinct (this includes the Mandela House and Tutu residence). We finished off our tour at Sakhumzi Restaurant for a alate lunch.

The memorial is a great way to find out a bit about what happened on 16 June 1976. I say "a bit", because some of the people involved have disappeared or were killed before they full story could be heard.

The Mandela house is great and has been restored. The Tutu residence cannot be accessed as the family still lives there.

Sakhumzi restaurant is good. There are a few other restaurants on the same street. You are bound to see some bikers showing off if you go on a weekend.

Our guide was very knowledgeable and very easy going. I really recommend his services greatly. His contact details are:
+27(0) 72-299-9815 or poloko.sahost@webmail.co.za

1  Thank IzzyElla
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We went to both the Hector Pieterson and the Apartheid Museum. I have a very difficult time seeing violence. The Hector was easier for me to go to because it talked about violence, but it gave personal accounts of how young people lived with and through it. It is not a huge museum, but it is well done.

Although the museum is on different levels, there are ramps to each level. I found that easier than trudging up stairs after seeing and reading about apartheid.

1  Thank L H