“Comfortable visit”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Vanderbijlpark
Midrand, South Africa
“Comfortable visit”
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Nothing major to talk about, your standard hotel with facilities. Friendly staff, childcare options so you can relax, nice riverview. Good variety breakfast buffet and they try and keep the children intertained.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jodi B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Fast and efficient check-in. The staff have an awesome demeanor in all of their interactions with the hotel guests. They are professional, kind and patient -meeting all needs and requests. The asst manager Moxlisi is hands on and is so attentive and polite . I wanted my room changed for a different bathroom setup due to a hurt ankle and he took me and showed me options and made sure I was happy. Melanie at the front desk prompt and eagerly assists with information. A nice personal touch was when the staff remembered our names and addressed us accordingly through our stay even though the hotel was busy. The views of the Vaal river is a sight to be appreciated. The well manicured gardens, the fantastic cleanliness and setup as you go down to the river is exceptionally gorgeous! Benches are well placed near the river to enjoy the scenarios. A memorable stay. Staff members are true ambassadors of the hotel and it's brand!

Room Tip: Anything from 4th floor and higher for the good views of the river.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Herman M, General Manager at Riverside Sun, responded to this review, 8 November 2012
Dear Valued Customer
We are delighted that you enjoyed our services and facilities, however more importantly, we highly appreciate your time and feedback and your recognition, which contributes to our staff engagement initiatives and motivational levels.
We were honoured to have been of service to you and the opportunity to create great memories for you.
Yours truly
Herman Muller
Botswana
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We visited this hotel for the second time. Our first stay was really disappointing, but this one was more pleasant, primarily because our room was much nicer and cleaner. Bathroom was tastefully renovated with a nice shower instead of bath, flat screen TV, new upholstery etc. I do not know if we got this room due to the fact that we were invited back to the resort by management after filling in their guest questionnaire and giving them our opinion about unsatisfactory first stay, or their standard is generally improved in the past few months. The first time we stayed over the Easter weekend and it was very busy. This time it was less hectic and more relaxing atmosphere. I still like their grounds and lovely position by the river bank. Their room service is good and breakfast OK. Cleaning staff, however, is something they will have to work on. Anyway, much better experience for our family this time.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Ana16
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We arrived on Friday night where check in was quick and simple, the receptionist who checked us in was very friendly and very helpful. (I cannot remember his name but he is definately a shining star in your team). Upon arrival to our room it did have a smokey aroma but other than that the room was cleaned to perfection. Coming from a housekeeping backround I could find little fault in the room, the only thing I might add is that shelving needs to be added in the cupboards in the rooms. After a long day we retired early but were woken up by the barmen to sign a docket, this I feel could have been done alot earlier in the night to avoid waking patrons up. At about 11pm there were youngsters running around on the floors making noise and knocking on peoples doors as pranks, I would have complained in the morning but they had left already. We definately would return for another visit in the near future. The hotel is very relaxing and tranquil. You might need to upgrade your lifts though:) Thank you to your entire team for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: If you are not used to fluffy pillows, bring your own, we had trouble sleeping on such soft pillows
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chantal H
Pretoria
Reviewed 9 May 2012

We booked 2 rooms! The scenario is very much the same with both rooms!

When we arrived at our room, our bathroom was dirty. There was urine on the toilet seat and black hair all over the toilet and bathroom. Then we found the safe was not working and neither did the one stand lamp.

After some time we found that the toilet outlet pipe was leaking sewerage water which we stepped in and clothes fell into the sewerage water. We were then moved to another room after having to run up and down to Reception a few times! In the new room we found the suitcase stand was broken – which we had to swap out again!

After moving to the new room and settling in we went out. Getting back – yet again - when we used the toilet my pants was again dripping with sewerage leaking from the toilet. This is a joke! I took photographs of the toilets and can supply them if needed. I did not bother to call reception as it was too late and I decided to use the towels supplied to put on the floor when using the toilet! Else its moving all over again!

Finally I arranged, and confirmed, before I checked in, for breakfast at 06H00. This is because we had to be at the sports event at 06H45 latest and still had to drive there. The lady at reception called the Chef who indicated that it is not a problem. The next morning nothing was ready! No one knew about the arrangement and was only able to eat a small plate of food and drink a cup of coffee! Also we ended up being late for the game that we had to attend! This was because of the delay sin the breakfast arrangements and the fact that checkout was also a disaster. The person who tried to check me out was absolutely not competent to do this and luckily after about 15 minutes the lady who originally helped me when I checked in, arrived!

Room Tip: Do not go to this Hotel at all!!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MarinusWillemstijn
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We previously stayed at Riverside lifestyle resort and were impressed with the service, that's why we booked again! BIG MISTAKE.

The furniture is broken and lookes tatty, the paint is peeling off the walls in the bathroom. We wanted to have a shower, but there were no towels, so as you do you try to call reception, BUT waite the phone doesn't work, so off to recception we go.

When housekeeping arrives with the towels, the attitude is sort of 'you are waisting my time, when requesting a bath mat I am told, she will come clean later!

I am disappointed with the whole experience and will certainly not be returning!!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank LynnShiller
Botswana
Reviewed 10 April 2012

This hotel is completely stuck in 70s. Room fixtures and fittings are old and outdated and definitely show the age. Probably not much can be done to improve ugliness of the building itself, but interior is in dire need of refurbishment and detailed cleaning. Rooms are specious, but badly appointed. A family room that takes two adults and two children, has only one chair and a small, shelf-less wardrobe. Bathroom is claustrophobic and tiles, walls, doors and wardrobe are painted over the same "government subsidised housing" colour. By the way, painted tiles are really yucky and not something to be expected in Southern Sun resorts. On the top of these, our room was not cleaned properly; there were pubic hairs left in the bath, window dressings were torn, toilet seat was leaking, taps dripping, window could be open only by extreme force, TV set was from bygone era, bar fridge in terrible condition.
To be fair, I have to say that beds and bedding were good, room service fast and good and hotel grounds and location itself lovely.
They have a Kiddies Program, that is supposed to be SUPERVISED entertainment for children. Actually, it is not, as they let kids come in and go as they are pleased, not informing parents at all. Unfenced swimming pool and a river bank are only a few hundred meters away and I expressed my concern about this practise and requested to be informed if my daughter wanted to leave the Club premises. I received a long lecture on the issue, saying that they were not a babysitting facility and that it was why we were requested to sign the indemnity form. I was only a phone-call away and willing to pay any extra costs for them to make that call, as did not want my daughter to wander the grounds looking for me. As a result, the next morning, I had a duty manageress approaching our breakfast table to give me a new lecture on the same issue. It was so inappropriate.
Dining is another issue. Breakfast was OK, variety of food good and plentiful. However, the light meals restaurant by the swimming pool was a different story. We went there on the day of our arrival. We ordered two meals for adults and a kiddies chicken burger. What we received, after more than 45 minutes, was one meal for an adult and very hot and spicy chicken burger (the one from the regular menu, not the kiddies one). We told them not to bother with the second meal for adults, but as our daughter was very hungry, we requested a proper kiddies chicken burger, not the spicy one. A few minutes later, the waitress came back with exactly the same piece of meat, spicy sauce only wiped away from it. I do not need to say that our daughter could not eat it and we all left hungry, not to come back there again during our four day in the resort.
It is such a shame that so beautiful location and gardens are not matched with the same quality hotel and service.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Ana16
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vanderbijlpark
Emerald Resort & Casino
#3 of 6 in Vanderbijlpark
Aark Guest Lodge
Aark Guest Lodge
#1 of 8 in Vanderbijlpark

Been to Riverside Sun? Share your experiences!