“Route 66 motel”

Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Kingman
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Route 66 motel”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

The Hill Top was not to best, nor worst, motel. It is a classic Route 66 stop and we met other fellow roadies who were also staying here. The rooms were decent, although I did note that the area under the bed needed better cleaning--but I have seen this at much fancier places too. The price was reasonable. If you want a modern corporate motel, then this is not for you. If you want a Route 66 experience then stay here. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Michigan
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Real deal 50s "mom-n-pop" type motel. Clean pool, clean yet tired rooms, but it's an old place. Great view. Some road noise, but not terrible.

My previous room here was kinda crappy, but thing time it was OK. AC worked, shower was good, and I slept well. Nice owner. Cool cat and dog live here too, so helps when you're missing your pet.

I'll certainly stay again.

Room Tip: Ask to see a room first, then choose.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Los Angeles
Reviewed 2 April 2013

My husband and I spent last night at this motel. The owners were great from our first phone call to hold a room, to checking in. We had car problems 40 miles east of Needles, CA. I called to see if they had a room and told them we might be late. While checking in, they not only gave me directions to Ford, they also told us not to worry about a late checkout and then gave me tickets for free admission to Local museums if the repairs were to be all day. (Ford will shuttle you to a museum if the repairs are going to take too much time)

The room itself was clean, sound proof (couldn't hear passing freight trains), lot's of hot water. It was just what I hoped for in picking out a motel in Kingman. There is a lovely cactus garden on the grounds. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Heinoti
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2013

The motel is a nice family run establishment that benefits from its route 66 location... although my girlfriend and I managed to miss that and just came to Kingman on the way out of Vegas.

The room was, as other reviewers have said, basic but we found it clean and everything worked just as well as other motels we experienced through 2 weeks in California and neighbouring states.

The motel excelled by going the extra mile when it turned out we had a slow puncture... firstly they pumped it up so we were able to drive to (one of the number of) garages and also recommended their 'local'.

All in all I would recommend this motel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RJStern
Reviewed 1 February 2013 via mobile

We arrived here in the dark, late after a long drive. We had mainly stayed in chain motels, this was our first independent. we pulled in, to be fair it did look like the kind of place u see in horror films in the movies. We booked in, it was cheap as hell. The family that ran it were very friendly. The room was very dated, brown, but clean, the restroom very clean and lots of towels. In all honesty me n my other female friend were a little spooked out, but our male friend just thought we were being stupid (which we were!) we woke up fine and alive in the morning, with the sun beaming through the windows we saw the place in a different light, and it didn't seem half as spooky. I am glad we stayed there, it looked how motels look in the movies, and we were on a road trip from the uk, so this was what we wanted. I'd defo stay there again if I went back. Very cheap, and comfy, as long as your not looking for luxury.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Cheese86
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I really wanted to like this motel. As part of our Route 66 trip, we stayed here. I love the old 50's mom and pop places, and I know what to expect. This one is in serious need of a good scrubbing and TLC.
The owner acted like we woke him up when he came out to greet us. (It was the middle of the day), so much so that I wouldn't have been surprised if he was in his boxers and white undershirt. We literally saw him get up off the couch in the adjoining owner's area from lying down.
The carpet was threadbare in patches and pretty stained, that gave the overall feel of the room a sense of unclean, although the actual room wasn't dirty. The bathroom was clean and there were enough towels. The pool really needs some care. The bottom was dirty, like it needs to be painted, and the tiles were coming off the walls around the pool.
The view though... That is the thing saving this from being 2 stars or less. It really is one of the best views in Kingman.
It just seems like the owners are tired of caring for the place. There is a way to restore and update rooms without losing that old time charm, if only they would take the time and do it this would be a great place to stay again.
I would pass on this place on future trips.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Not the best hotel we stayed at but ok, had a pool which was a bit run down but refreshing. part of route 66 trip, a good stop off.
Owner gave us some retro postcards which was good as i'm a postcard collecter

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends