“Route 66 Classic Motel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Kingman
Alaska
“Route 66 Classic Motel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

A well-preserved vintage motel that fit the bill for a place to stay during the 2014 Route 66 International Festival! The location on Route 66 made the location ideal and truly set the tone for a great festival. The neon sign out front makes it easy to find. (Being named the "Hill Top Motel" and being at the top of the hill helps as well! Perfect place to stay if you're on a Route 66 adventure.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GoNorthToAlaska

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Prague, Czech Republic
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

After I posted a rather decent review on booking.com, I didn´t yet know, that the owner - Dennis - charged my card for an allegedly stolen ice bucket 2 days after we left. I guess that is just a way how they try to support they dying business, in which they didn´t invest a dime since the 1970´s.
After spending the night at a smelly smoking room, though I asked for a non-smoking, and after fixing my own toilet, where a smoking pipe was stuck, to top the experience, this "entepreneur" stole money form my card.
I called the motel, when I saw this occur on my internet banking, and the owner sweared to refund me. No money came to this day (2 weeks after). Now this guy is hiding behing his wife who picks up the phone and promises to call back - nothing of what they promise happens.
Avoid supporting these frauds and liars, who let you stay in their filthy rooms and then charge you for imaginary equipment.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Anna S

Travellers are raving about these Kingman hotels

Lakeland, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

I am typing this review from the Hill Top Motel as I am getting ready to head out along old Route 66. Yes, it's dated. It's supposed to be! Just as a classic 1957 Chevrolet is dated, this place is from that era and it has been preserved and maintained well. If it was remodeled to look like new, it wouldn't be the authentic American roadside gem that it is. The room was clean, the bed was fine, and everything worked, including the Wi-Fi. The owner was very friendly, and I'm glad I stayed here. Reminded me of so many road trips I had taken when I was growing up, and for me, that is a good thing!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Dustyman73
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

This is a classic route 66 motel, with great host and a friendly atmosphere. Good facilities and room that take you back. Even had a good pool and laundry facilities. Overall we liked it and stayed two nights. Kingman has some good Route66 places to see

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trevor H
california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Ok....so you all know this is no fancy hotel right? BUT it IS a great place to stay! If you are headed down good ole Route 66 and want an authentic old motel expierience Hill Top is a wonderful place to stay. Walking into the room I felt like a kid again on our yearly trip to Arizona in the 1960's and 70's! My hisband and son loved it. The owner is full of Route 66 information. (He also makes beautiful stained glass..) If you are headed from California to the Grand Canyon via Route 66 this is a great place to stop for a jumping off point the next morning. And if you care about history, by staying here I felt we were doing our own little part in helping to preserve a historic landmark :)

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank loriebCalifornia
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

This 1960's style motel is located midway between Interstate interchanges, a ways out of old town Kingman towards the box stores, along side a new Wallgreens. It is priced midway between the el cheapo roadside places that offer $30 to $40 rooms (single) and the cookie cutter corporate places at twice this price. The decor is 1970-80's, the era when the last upgrades were probably done. The bed in our room was good, but not great, as were the other very basic furnishings and the shower/bathroom. A hair dryer, shampoo and soap were supplied. The in-wall furnace was more than adequate for the room during the cold January night we stayed here. We did not use the pool AC, small microwave or refrigerator. The location was pretty quiet with the occasional rumble of a passing train more soothing than disruptive.
The overall condition of the motel is clean and maintained, but the rooms look more tired than retro. Perhaps this is as true of many Route 66 travellers and for this reason it may not be that big of a concern. One bonus to staying here is that the owner is connected with three of the local museums and will, on request, provide free passes. Another is the presence of an in-house laundry.

Room Tip: Don't miss out on the free museum passes & in-house laundromat
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Bruce_Raynor
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

We stayed one night during our journey on Route 66, probably attracted by the vintage neon sign, promising an authentic experience of the old spirit. And we were not disappointed. Except for the credit card machine and the wifi, all was nicely vintage. A bit run down and used furniture, but all was clean and so we received what we were expecting. For the price we paid, this is what we could get. Rooms are rather dark, only a few lights and the dark brown decoration does not make it exactly a masterpiece of design. The shower room is old but functional - we just wondered why the shower head is only at chest height. But that's a small detail. The staff is very friendly and they gave us some useful hints about what to do in Kingman and surroundings. The motel is close to the centre of town, so conveniently located. The proximity to the main street is not really a problem as at night there is almost no trafic anymore.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple