“A learning experience”

Arizona Route 66 Museum
Ranked #1 of 22 things to do in Kingman
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Very well thought out displays. A good mixture of every type of people and things that made this area what it is. I'll be going back to study more. A very pleasant place to spend a lot of time

Reviewed 21 September 2013

I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to get to this place, but since we drove right by it on the way into Kingman we figured "why not?" The collection is housed in an old powerhouse, which is kind of interesting in itself. There are displays replicating various scenes along Rt. 66 and collections of memorabilia you'd expect at a place like this. Everything is nicely presented and explained. It isn't a huge place, so an hour or so it plenty to see it unless you are extremely interested in reading everything and examining the details. There is a short movie about Rt. 66 included in the admission. I don't recall the price, but I know it was well worth what we paid and included a ticket to the Mohave History Museum nearby.

There is a large gift shop and visitor center in the building also. The volunteer at the counter in the visitor center was very friendly and helpful. They have maps and suggestions for things to do in the area. You can access the gift shop and visitor information without paying an admission charge to the museum section. There is a Rt. 66 park across the street and several historic buildings in the nearby downtown Kingman district. It's nothing earth shattering, but it's enough to kill a couple of hours if you need to get out of the car for a while.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

I'd been past the Powerhouse Visitors Center and Route 66 Museum on a previous trip, but after the 5 p.m. closing. This time I really wanted to see it and pushed a bit to make it by 4 p.m. Given my anticipation, I was a bit let down. I guess I envisioned a kind of 1950s cultural museum with lots of old cars and period memorabilia. This is a museum dedicated to Route 66 in Arizona and the roads and trails that preceded it, starting with the Spanish explorers. A lot of it would only interest cartographers, but there was one old Studebaker and an old-time small town facade that was pretty neat. I was also moved by quotes from John Steinbeck in a "Grapes of Wrath" set with an old pickup in the middle. We arrived too late to see what they had to offer in the museum's theater. For the little time we spent there, the $4 apiece admission seemed a bit high, but we were happy to help keep the museum afloat. We spent a lot more at the gift shop downstairs, which was actually more interesting. There was more to see in the Powerhouse itself, but it was all closing up. I'm sure we'd have enjoyed it all a lot more if we'd had more time. We would encourage anyone passing right by on Route 66 to give it a try.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Beautiful museum of Route 66. Gift shop and theater. Get Route 66 passport stamped and certificate when complete. Friendly staff.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Cute little museum with interesting facts and route 66 memorabilia. Well located and good parking. Not sure of the price to get in as we had free entry from our motel (Hill Top Motel).