“A unique Route 66 motel”
Review of El Trovatore Motel

El Trovatore Motel
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Kingman
Reviewed 23 November 2013

This is a classic Route 66 Motel - lives up to the hype. Ladies at front desk were very helpful - even pointed us to an off-leash dog park in the area. This is an old-style motel with outside entrances to the rooms - and parking next to the room - very convenient when traveling with dogs. The room was fine, thou dated - and the tiny bathroom was from another time. All-in-all it was a delightful experience - not to be missed especially if you are traveling on Route 66. The women in the office shared their enthusiasm for history and nostalgia. The El Trovatore tower is beautiful when lit up at night. Just a note - the entrance to the motel is on a hill just west of the motel itself - it looks like the driveway just goes to a gas station, but curves down the hill into the motel entrance.

Room Tip: We stayed in Olive Oyl room - quiet - away from traffic.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 November 2013

I actually found this place through chance when hitting the Route 66 in Kingman after coming in from California on Rt. 40. I spotted the neon sign, drove into the parking lot, and walked into the office. The office decor and staff was the old way that motels were done. They didn't ask for i.d. or for other crap. You either had the money for the night or not - and they were friendly. The rooms are cheap by motel standards, around 40$ per night, with no add on charges. The staff were super friendly and told me where to go for deals for food and booze on foot, and to watch out for the local cops when going a few miles over the local speed limits.

The gave me the James Dean room, the TV and wifi worked well, and the walls had nice James Dean posters around them. The bathroom was still in working labors, but it functioned fine and was decently clean. This motel with the Hollywood themed rooms: Marilyn Monroe, Elvis Presley, etc., was once a meth addict infested hole. But the new European owners are turning the place around into a nice stop along the Route 66. This place has character and comfort now.

The owners gave me a Route 66 travel card for the travel in Arizona. The Route 66 in the Mohave Desert of California is like riding a bumpy carnival ride. After a half an hour on it, I had to leave because I got nervous about what the road would do to my truck. But in Arizona, the Route 66 roads between Kingman and Flagstaff are quite good and they still have the local cafes and flavors from Route 66 legend. Keep in the speed limit because the cops patrol them heavily.

I had such a good time here that I spent a couple of hours at the local cafe-artist gallery in Kingman for part of the day. Next time in Kingman, I will return here.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank James F
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Great owners, great place! We were looking for some place different and we found it at the El Trovatore Motel. The owners are great people who take pride in their hotel and want to make sure your stay is the best. They provided us with a lot of information about the area and places to see.
We were on a motorcycle and they informed us about several scenic drives that we did not originally know about. The room was GREAT! We stayed in the John Wayne room which had a nice king size bed. You felt like you had traveled back in time when Route 66 was the main road.
Enjoyed the visit!!

Room Tip: Ask owners about individual themed rooms. Must stay in one of the themed rooms!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Checked in at the El Trovatore Motel, Kingman AZ based on Trip Advisor reviews. Truly a Route 66 experience. This hotel is just such a great period piece! It was built in the 1920s and while it is clean, it is definitely aged--but in a good way! The current owners, Sam and Monica are a blast. We had a great time telling stories after I returned from the dinner they recommented. Wonderful people, great funky old hotel on Route 66. I slept in the Marilyn Monroe room!

The condition of the hotel--old, used and very clean--reminded me of the road trips I took as a kid with my parents in the 50's. I was surprised to learn from Sam the hotel was built in the 20's but when I looked at the fittings and configuration, that made sense. Loved the elongated walk-in shower with the controls at the opposite end of the shower stall. The doors on the rooms must be original and they are true to the period. What a joy this place is to bring back memories.

Sam and Monica are a great couple and we told long tales for quite a while after I returned from the restaurant they recommended--they even got me a discount!

Hey, for an overnight cost of $50, tax included, this is one of the precious finds along Route 66. Well worth an overnight stay!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Marilyn Monroe room. That wing was quiet and easy access. There are other celebrit...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 October 2013

First let me say that this hotel is all about the owners. Monica and Sam have done an amazing job renovating the motel and really make guests feel welcome. I got there very late one evening and called ahead to tell them to leave the keys on the bed. But when I arrived, Monica was there to get me water and show me the room. They also really fill you in on the area around Kingman. I was there to take several driving tours described in an AZ Highways book. Monica knew the author of the book who lived there in Kingman who later autographed my book and gave me several interesting places to visit that were far from the beaten path. I really love the themed rooms they have developed too. There is a Marilyn room, John Wayne, Audrey Hepburn, etc. I can't say enough about this motel. The rates are great too. They run between 45 and 50 a night. It is not a fancy place to stay but it is very true to the route 66 spirit and I thoroughly enjoy my visits there.

Room Tip: The theme rooms are the way to go. Ask Sam and Monica. They'll fill you in.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We stopped here on our Route 66 trip and had a very good stay. Sam and Monica (Taco too) are very welcoming people. It is people like this that make the Route what it is. They spent about a half an hour talking to us at check in about Kingman and the history of the motel. Anyone can run a business but folks that have the enthusiasm and connection to people are what make the memories and enjoyable moments. The rooms were clean and comfy. I do think a little more work must be done to make it "just right". I would not hesitate to recommend this place to travelers.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We ( my boyfriend, our 6 yr old daughter and myself) were travelling from Las Vegas to flagstaff and we decided to stay at El Travatore. The owners were very friendly and welcoming and gave us lots of information of things to do in the area.
We loved the retro feel of the motel and the way it lights up at night. We took lots of photos. It's colourful and lots of fun. The beds were very comfortable and we all slept overnight.
Why would you bother staying in a bland old chain motel when you can stay here for a different experience?

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family