“Just ok”

Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Kingman
Santa Maria, California
“Just ok”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The rooms are nice. The beds were comfortable and I was looking forward to a good nights sleep before my 8 hour drive but the fire alarm began beeping waking me and my baby up numerous times. I was offered a 10 percent discount. If it wasn't for the alarm the stay would have been nice. Decent breakfast. The inside pool is small and makes the downstairs humid.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Jean W, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, 13 October 2014
Thank you for taking the time to answer the survey. All comments are appreciated. We strive to make each stay as comfortable as possible. Your comments allow us to see what we are doing wrong and what we are doing right, and give us the opportunity to improve upon our service. I apologize for the alarm battery going out and keeping you awake. I hope that you will give us another try to give us the opportunity to make your stay better.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Kissimmee, Florida
Reviewed 22 July 2014

night shift front desk was nice and the bed was extremely comfortable. Tub did not drain, room attendant let me in with no id check and girl at breakfast bar was wearing headphones the whole time. Mark from engineering was nice and day shift desk didn't seem very interested.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Please except my sincere apology for your frustration. All personnel have been spoken to regarding your complaints and I can assure you they will not happen again.
Pinehurst, Texas
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We arrived rather early after a long day on the road. The front desk hostess was extremely friendly, courteous and helpful. Check in was quick and painless. Room was clean and the bathroom was clean, stocked with fresh towels. It was everything you'd come to expect from CI and, I'd say a bit more.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to answer the survey, we know how important your time is. We appreciate your comments and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Clermont, Florida
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We made reservations for this hotel through the Choice Hotels website. My wife and I use Choice exclusively and travel throughout the US extensively. We are Choice Elite Diamond members, which gives us many perks, including free room upgrades. With my reservation, I always ask for a free room upgrade and usually get one. When I made this reservation, the room I reserved said "Newer room." The hotel has 2 sections: newer and older.

When I arrived at this hotel, the desk clerk (Crystal) gave me a room and key. When I went to the room, it was in the old section of the hotel. My wife and I went to the newer section of the hotel to see if we could get a maid to show us one of those rooms. She recommended a King room, which she showed us.

My wife and I went back to the desk to see Crystal and ask for a room change. I explained that my reservation said "newer room" and I was given an older room. My wife asked for the room the maid recommended. Crystal said "No dogs allowed in King rooms." We explained that our Chihuahua is a service dog. Again, she said (more abruptly now): "No dogs aloud in King rooms!" She went on to say: "I am already waving the required dog fee."

My wife told Crystal that according to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), you can not discriminate against someone with a handicap. I am also a Disabled American Veteran. By telling us that we can not use certain rooms, she was violating the ADA. She flat out refused to give us the king room and gave us a double room instead.

When we got to the room, we found several problems: One of the bedspreads has several dark brown marks on it. We asked the maid if she could change it out. While she was getting the new bedspread, we saw a very large white mark on the same bed's bed skirt. When the maid arrived, we asked about the white mark. She said: "It's probably yogurt. Do you know how hard it is to change a bed skirt... takes 2 or 3 people." She then left and the bed skirt was not changed.

Upon inspecting the room, we saw a few other discrepancies: The mirror in the room had greasy finger prints all over the bottom half; there were white marks on the chair (yogurt as well I assume). The wire from the TV was stretched tight across the room to be plugged in behind the refrigerator. The coffee pot was on top of the fridge, with the cord dangling. Three plugs for a 2-socket outlet. There was a stagnant odor in the hotel. It was covered up by several automatic air fresheners.

After the rude start to our stay, we thought of checking out and finding another hotel. Instead, we called the Choice customer care help desk and told them about the rude desk clerk. They said to call back after we checked out if there was not change in our status. My wife spoke to the new desk clerk in the morning and voiced our concerns. She said she would pass it on to the manager.

That evening, I called the Choice help desk and lodged a formal complaint. They said they would forward the concern to the hotel owner and if we did not hear back from them within 72 hours, to call the help desk back. So far, it has been 5 days and we have not heard from the hotel. ADA violations are serious. A nonresponse from the hotel tells me a lot about their management.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Stay in the newer part of the hotel. Do a room check before accepting the room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Jean W, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Sir,

I am responding to your comments on Trip Advisor. I wanted to let you know that as soon as I was notified of the issues you had with the Comfort Inn your points for your stay were refunded. And it was my understanding that you were on the line with Choice at the time and were aware of the corrections that had been taken. Crystal and the housekeeper have been reprimanded. I hope you will accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience.
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My son and I stopped here on our way back from the Grand Canyon. The motel is reasonably priced, fairly clean. The room we stayed at was a little outdated - could use a remodel. The room was comfortable and the motel is in a quiet location off the highway.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Jean W, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to fill out the survey. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. The hotel is actually in the process of remodel. Hopefully it will be finished when you visit again.
Reviewed 27 June 2014

A friend and I arrived at this hotel about midnight and the front desk clerk, Lorraine, gave us the most fantastic, attentive, friendly service I have ever received at a hotel. Her cheerfulness and helpfulness was truly exceptional. The room was also comfortable and clean, with two kinds of pillows (soft and firm), a refrigerator and coffee maker.

Room Tip: Exercise room and pool are just average
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Jean W, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for your kind words. I have let Lorraine know about your comments. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
san diego
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We were greeted by a smiling desk clerk who placed us in a king bedded, no smoking, no pet room requested during the corporate reservation process. Unfortunately the receptionist recommended a rather long-in-the-tooth casual family restaurant. Obviously she did not look at TripAdvisor, we were too tired to drive to a recommended venue. The room was large, clean, quite with basic necessities and a good hard mattress. The included "hot" breakfast consisted of yogurt, scrambled eggs, patties, make it yourself waffles, a variety of toast, juice and coffee. The breakfast room overlooked the hotel's large pool, hot tub and sauna.

I would stay there again on a similar trip, but find a better place to eat.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new wing facing the back are quiet and apparently have newer facilities.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Jean W, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to fill out the survey and your kind words We look forward to seeing you again.