“Company Weekend Away and Team Build”

BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Vereeniging
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Company Weekend Away and Team Build”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Our company hosted a weekend away for the staff and their families to celebrate year end and combine this with a team build. I was surprised at how lush the Vaal Dam area was and the hotel surrounds are calming with beautifully manicured gardens. The pool area is wonderful and the children absolutely loved this. As part of the team build we had a potjie competition which was also our lunch. The hotel assisted in providing all the ingredients that each team requested. The chef was the judge. I did feel that the hotel had under catered as I was 15 minutes late to join the luncheon and there was no potjies left for me to enjoy. The dinner on the boat trip was thoroughly enjoyable. Food was good. The breakfast buffet was excellent. I stayed in Room 405 which faced the River - the view is lovely but a real pity that there isn't a balcony to really experience the scenary. In terms of sleep quality - The bed was very comfortable but the pillows were not so great. All in all a great getaway in Jo'burg and most of the staff and their families had a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: I was in Room 405 which was lovely has it had a view of the river. There isn't a balcony which...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Businesstraveller
Reviewed 3 November 2013

this hotel is perfectly situated on the vaal, a beautiful setting and a great quick getaway. it is an older hotel. we come often in the summer and bring our boat down. the staff are really friendly but my word, service is slooooooooow. a great hotel buffet breakfast, but you practically have to lay your own table and find yourself a coffee. we have been here a dozen times, its always the same. it takes half An hour to get a menu at the pool and an hour to get your sandwich. rooms are a bit tired but really not too bad. as long as you dont expect too much, you wont be disappointed

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Businesstraveller066
Rivieraonvaal, General Manager at BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Please accept my sincerest apologies for the unpleasant experience you had at Riviera on Vaal Hotel and Country Club. This is definitely not the standard our guests are accustomed to and I want to rectify this matter urgently.

I have been unable to contact you and would like you too please contact me on the following e-mail address gm@rivieraonvaal.co.za or 016 420 1383 as I would personally like to discuss this with you.

I trust that I will hear from you soon.

Charl Campher
General Manager Riviera on Vaal Hotel and Country Club.
Johannesburg
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Beautiful location with great views. Not far from Jo'burg. Loved the spa. My husband loved the golf course. Read my full review here:

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Johannesburg
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I have very few things good to say about this hotel.
Check-in was good, staff at reception were friendly and welcoming, room was a nice size. Location good. Pitch and putt is nice to do.
All the things bad are:
Room bathroom size is terrible. The room should be downsized a bit to make the bathroom a bit bigger. Seriously the toilet is so low, I don't think I've been to any hotel that had such a low toilet. I hate a shower in a bath tub - this should be refurbished and just improved.
Every time the neighbouring room flushed their toilet - we could hear it loudly, I thought it was our room the first time - that was bad.
Housekeeping - Slow and really not to standard. I requested a shower cap - 3 times before getting it. The remote for the bedroom tv was missing, they took long to bring one.
We went to Mathews terrace for lunch - this started of our trip with the most terrible service. We couldn't find a waiter to take an order, its like people are sitting around - but no one to attend to them. Then our waiter was very unfriendly. After she took our order, we had to ask other waiters, when we saw one - to assist with something. Really bad impression. I can't say that the place was busy, just that the staff was really not providing a service.
Then my husband ordered room service, honestly men just order food without reading the fine print. He didn't realise the tray charge until they came to the room. He ordered a butternut soup - R45.00. The tray charge is R50.00. So he paid R95.00 in total - which is ridiculous. I don't like a tray fee when you are ordering & most likely tipping, it should be a reasonable fee eg.R25.00. It should also only apply to hotels that are massive in size & distance delivering the food. We were on the 2nd floor and the restaurant was bringing food from the 1st floor - basically below us. This fee was really unnecessary. I know its written in the menu a R50 tray fee will be charged...in all honesty the person taking the order should just bring it to the attention of the person placing the order that a tray fee will be charged - especially when you ordering only a soup.
Then we went to Mathews restaurant for a buffet dinner - this was so not worth the money.
Lets just mention it again - where was the staff? it has a sign saying "wait here to be seated", yet no one around to take you to a seat, plus it was an empty restaurant. then the buffet options had no labels, so you don't know what you eating - you cant ask anyone, because the staff is not around including the chefs that are supposed to be at the meat station. We waited 5min standing holding a plate - looking for someone, until a floor manager had to go call someone from the back. My husband was waiting to make a stir-fry - this was eventually done, however the veggies were burnt. He said because the chef put it on and kept going into the back - leaving it unattended and eventually burning it. Terrible Service I tell you!!!
Breakfast was fine - staff seemed more alive, I guess because it was busy.
We decided to sit at the pool - just to relax before leaving for home. Then was thinking about ordering a drink, as usual no waiter around - the pool had people all around, so why no staff - no idea. we waited a bit until I eventually said I just was to go - waiting for a waiter was taking forever! People don't want to be frustrated on holiday.
This was really all we could take of our stay....but I do think that this could be a really great hotel someday, if the rooms can be improved & all the WAITERS get a make over on what service is!!
I honestly wont return to this hotel unless its brought up to better standards.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HolidayDreamer23
Rivieraonvaal, General Manager at BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal, responded to this review, 23 October 2013

I have been unable to contact you and would like you too please contact me on the following e-mail address. gm@rivieraonvaal.co.za

I trust that I will hear from you soon.
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Beautiful hotel with beautiful views and ambience. The spa is very good. The staff is very attentive and patient, a good indication for a place that seemed to be quite busy with families.

The downside was the dusty carpets in the rooms (corners) and the activities offered at the kids club (the kids found them very limited and more suited for younger guests of +-6 years of age).

All in all we had a good time and will return for another quick getaway from the city.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Brimfield, Illinois
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Stayed a week in mid August, then came back a few days later for 3 more day stay. Staff was very helpful, rooms nice, rates reasonable. Very convenient bar/dining. Would definitely stay again. River view was beautiful.

Room Tip: Just note that the hotel can be dead during the week but suddenly fill to capacity thurs-sat nite.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Istanbul Province, Turkey
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Although hotel is old the view is great.
plenty of golf space,
Restaurant is not ok.
Breakfast is fine. The vaal river tour was a plus.
Hotel staff are friendly. Luxury room is very expensive.
Better to take classic room.

Room Tip: rooms that see the river have a great view
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vereeniging
Emerald Resort & Casino
#1 of 8 in Vanderbijlpark
No photo provided
Korundum Lodge
#7 of 16 in Vereeniging

Been to BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal? Share your experiences!