“A good weekend Away”

BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Vereeniging
“A good weekend Away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

We decided last minute to get out of Johannesburg for the weekend. Booking was made with ease. Arrived security was on the ball and you felt secure on the premises. Setting is as good as you can get. With the rain of the past few months the Vaal River was full, lush green banks and plenty of water activity taking place. We stayed in room 405, corner unit with a separate bed room and lounge. Ample space. Bathrooms are well appointed but smallish as this is an refurbished hotel. Found staff to be helpful and service quick. Buffet for dinner and breakfast was good with plenty of choices. Dinner roasts were out of this world. Tried to book the Spa buy could not get a booking due to our time constraints. Will have to come back for this experience.

All in all a good experience and we will go back. Affordable weekend away !

Room Tip: 405 and other corner units. Well appointed and ample space with great river views.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Safari M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

My husband and I recently chose to go away for my 50th to the Riviera on the Vaal for 2 nights.

Well it was a disaster from start to finish. We were excited about going away on our own as we rarely get an opportunity as we have a son of 8. The first room we were given was dark and gloomy and the bathroom was pitiful in that it was tiny and there was no separate shower so my husband had to shower in the bath. This was an upgraded room that a friend had organised secretly from Canada for my 50th. How can this be offered at a four-star hotel?

The service was appalling in that we had to get up and call for someone to attend to us. The first night's buffet was an assortment of warmed up food from the day before as it did not look or taste fresh. In fact, I struggled to find something to eat from the buffet and on calling the chef to complain I was told that there weren't many people eating at the restaurant that night so they couldn't make a lot of new things as they would have gone to waste. So on the eve of my 50th I simply had a few pieces of dried out chicken and that was that. I told him he should not have the buffet on such evenings when there will not be enough people eating from it. I was then told that we could have ordered a la carte which I was shocked to hear as in the afternoon on asking a waitress outside what the options were if we didn't want the buffet for dinner, her answer was that there was only the terrace menu to order from (which consists of light snacks). So clearly staff are not aware of what is or is not available at the hotel. And this is a four star hotel? What a joke.

Then the following day it was raining so we decided to have afternoon tea in the lounge. We waited endlessly for someone to serve us and when asking for scones, cake etc we were told that there was nothing available and that there would only be eats available after 5pm as they were busy preparing them for a conference later that day. I have never heard of such a thing in a hotel - let alone a 4-star hotel. Clearly they are only interested in putting effort into large groups like conferences and do not really care about privates who visit the hotel.

I then called the manager who apologised profusely and then scurried off to the kitchen only to return 10 mins later with 2 pieces of cheesecake - but sadly it was the most awful tasting cheesecake I have ever had. It had a margarine taste and was quite vile. We couldn't eat it. We then settled for the small biscuits that are put in the rooms with the tea and coffee.

The breakfasts too were very ordinary and the fresh fruit or pastries didn't look or taste very fresh. All in all a disastrous experience and a sad way to spend a 50th birthday. I could not wait to leave the hotel and feel it was the biggest waste of a few thousand rand. Quite frankly, we should be refunded for the disaster that it was. I will make sure that I tell everyone never to go to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elana R
Rivieraonvaal, General Manager at BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear Elana R

We do value your time taken to provide feedback on your stay at Riviera on Vaal. We will set to work on improving and eradicating the aspects of your stay which you mentioned. We depend on your feedback, and do apologies for any discomfort experienced.

Travellers are raving about these Vereeniging hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

We booked 3 rooms and there were 5 of us for a different New Year party. Cocktails especially my Pina colada were the 2nd best in the world to date I have tasted. I will go back for more. The rooms although dated were adequate for a 4 star hotel. Bathrooms very small and shower leaked everywhere. Maintenance an issue and quality control.
We booked on the river boat for New year, and that was great fun, meal very good and value for money. I thought there maybe should have been more entertainment on the boat, but at midnight they joined the hotel party for the count down and then we disembarked and joined the hotel party and its live band.
Big disappointment was the Zorgvliet spa attached to the hotel. Service terrible, booked 2 x 1 hour sessions and got a 25 minute massage. Shocking and I will be taking further legal action against them as they still insisted I pay full price although they started 35 mins late.

Room Tip: Rooms dated, we took a suite which was not much different to the standard rooms which had bigger bat...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Rivieraonvaal, General Manager at BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear Mr. Rogers

We do value your time taken to provide feedback on your stay at Riviera on Vaal. We are delighted to hear of the aspects which made your stay enjoyable and will set to work on improving and eradicating those which did not. We depend on your feedback, and do apologise for any discomfort experienced.

As discussed with the Zorgvliet Spa Manager, we would love you and your wife to return to enjoy what is due to you, your voucher will be sent to you shortly.

Kind regards
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

The staff was amazing, rooms clean and service was always with a smile, nothing was ever too much to the staff. The kiddies program was great and kept our kids busy for hours. Great stay overall. Thank you Riviera staff and management. Keep it up :)

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

This hotel is a lovely get away resort from city life. Less than an hour's drive from Johannesburg, this hotel is beautifully located on the Vaal River. My wife and I celebrated our anniversary and we were truly spoilt. Having booked an Executive room at the resort with a lovely view of the river. This property boasts a championship golf course in an excellent condition. River cruises at breakfast and sunset times are available. Staff were always helpful and pleasant. Will definitely re-visit this resort. My overall rating is a 41/2. Only disappointment was the buffet menu variety. We made a special meal request which the chef prepared, was stale. The fish tasted as if it was in the freezer for a long time. Nevertheless, the enthusiasm of the staff more than made up for it. Hotel well worth visiting. See you guys soon.

Room Tip: Consider river facing rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
jhb
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

Since our very 1st visit to Riviera Hotel to celebrate our anniversary in October; we can really just give positive feedback & compliments to management & staff alike.

We returned for a Christmas lunch & stay with the rest of our family incl my parents & what a lovely reception we received.
Lunch was amazing & even with the restaurant busy, service was excellent.

Thank you Desire, Juandrè & team.

Lakey Family

• Stayed December 2013
Pretoria
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

I had the misfortune of meeting a client for lunch at Riviera on Vaal on Saturday. I waited 30min for a waiter, I then walked to the bar and asked for someone there-they were congregated around a point of sale. I placed an order and received it 15minutes later-a warm coke, no lemon and melted ice! Great start. My client arrived and his cooldrink arrived quickly with ice and lemon-Things were looking up. We ordered a sandwich, this then took 1h and 15 minutes, I then sent mine back as it was wrong, 20min later it arrived again, still wrong but I ate it, I was hungry and appalled and just wanted to leave. I asked for a Manager but was told he was busy- I noticed this as I could see him standing having a smoke near the pool area. There were 9 tables on the veranda and atleast 8 waiters, NEVER will Riviera ever see me or my business again. They should just shut this old relic down! The most beautiful setting in Gauteng(in my opinion) but the Management are clueless!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank MCS1979
Rivieraonvaal, General Manager at BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear MCS1979

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property, your comments are very much valued.

I would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidences that you experienced during your visit with us. I have put measures in place that this does not occur again

I would invite you to contact me personally at 016 420 1300, to discuss this with you further. (email is gm@rivieraonvaal.co.za
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vereeniging
Emerald Resort & Casino
#1 of 16 in Vereeniging
Ikhamanzi Bed & Breakfast
Ikhamanzi Bed & Breakfast
#1 of 7 in Vereeniging

Been to BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal? Share your experiences!