“Great location, friendly service, reasonable rates”
Review of Belaire Suites

Belaire Suites
Ranked #8 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Belaire Suites was recommended to me for my Indaba trip for its great location, and reasonable rates. I was pleasantly surprised at the great reception (canapes while you wait), warm friendly staff, rooms that was spacious and nicely decorated. The cherry on top was the Jiran restaurant. While the service was a tad bit slow, the food was delicious, well priced and generous portions. The wine prices were also very fair compared to everything else in town that I experienced. Will certainly stay there again next year.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Bonita M

Reviewed 8 May 2013

We requested a room with a view and got it - superb panoramic view of the whole Durban golden mile beach area. All staff were very friendly and helpful, but what impressed us most was the service. On the first day the water in the bath did not drain away. We told reception and within three minutes someone came up and fixed the problem. We rate this as about the best and quickest service we have had in over 20 years of travelling. In summary, a great location, excellent value and first rate service.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank michael c
Reviewed 26 April 2013

the hotel is in the first beach row (what doesn't mean in Durban that you are right on the beach), price was very good, handling during checkin was fast and efficient. room was spacious, but for 4 stars, I don't expect the toilet lid to be loose, or the trash to be broken. furniture is a bit 90ies. they have a blue foil on the windows, maybe to protect from the sun, which doesn't look nice. the rooms are seafront, but on the 2nd floor, no chance - ask for at least 4th or 5th.
for breakfast, they had a real good choice of food, breakfast room is stylish, and you can also sit on a terrrace. the Café belonging to the hotel is a place for real italian coffee lovers - wow.
conclusion: you get what you pay for. for one or two nights, it is ok, but I would spend my whole holiday there.

1  Thank traveladdicted4ever
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I stayed at the hotel last week on business, as it was recommended as we approach Indaba 2013.

Need I say that I have friends that are staying there this year over Indaba. Location is great, Hotel rooms are a good size.

The room I stayed in had no phone. I went to reception to report it. Placed my room service order at the desk and when the order arrived reported the no phone to the room service attendant. Later the evening i went out for dinner and upon my return mentioned it to the reception staff. At this point I was unsure if they had even put a phone in the room. The receptionist then informed me that they have not placed a phone in the room as that specific room is out of order as it is a fault with a Telkom line???? really. So they decided that the room is out of order, they will still use it. At no point was this brought to the attention of a Duty Manager.

Even after reporting the matter three times, it was still not rectified. We not talking about Wi-Fi connectivity, but a basic room phone. Dial 2000 for any assistance from our dedicated team.

I met with the Assistant GM on departure who noted my concerns. She offered me a complimentary dinner for my next stay at their hotel. So next time you spend (money) a night at our hotel we will give you free food. Wow. The Assistant GM was going to speak to the GM who would revert back to me.

Well it has been 7 days now and I have had no response what so ever.

Reviewed by an ambassador for promoting tourism to our Beautiful Country

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Glenn P
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I "treated" my UK family to a stay at the Belaire Suites Hotel for four nights in two double rooms. Location and view are excellent - couldn't have asked for better. Rooms were clean, food was good (both the breakfast room and Cafe Jiran), and staff were helpful. The reservation through booking.com was effortless. The limited self-catering facilities were sufficient for our needs. The only drawback was that there were no interleading rooms. What was the highlight of our trip? uShaka Marine World and Wet & Wild park! The weather in Durban was mostly foul every day so having a good room to return to after our soggy daily expeditions was very important.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Time_Traveller061
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We spend one night in the hotel. There was a south African familiy right next to us and the walls so thin that it was possible to hear each and every word. Wifi not for free and Internet access in lobby increadibly slow, so that it took us forever to check in for our flight the next day. The furniture and facilities are rather coolish and seem very impersonal. During breakfast the music was this loud that it was almost impossible to have a conversation. After asking staff to turn it down twice we gave up. Breakfast however was very good.
Room clean but offputting silvering on windows.

Reviewed 25 March 2013

We booked the Belaire Suites for its being in the Top 10 on TripAdvisor and the guaranteed view of the Indian Ocean. After 20 days in hotels in major cities and game lodges in South Africa, we found this hotel to be the first cost-effective lodging with a picturesque view that was dirty and below average in sleep friendliness. Showers had mold and floors were dirty. The bed mattresses were hard, which we actually like, but with no give whatsoever. The door frames swell in the humidity of the ocean so you have to kick them open; with door kicking going on at all times of night, the restful lapping of the waves heard from your window (even on our 10th floor spot) is not enough to compensate. For those wishing to stay with high marks in cleanliness and décor that you would expect in the US, UK or the rest of SA, you might want to look at the Top 5 on Trip Advisor in Durban. Our friends in another room on the 8th floor never did get a working telephone so we never could make between-room contact and their toilet seat in the bathroom had to be refastened twice. But not all was awful. Our 10th floor room was spacious with a mini-kitchen, the view spectacular, the staff friendly, and the morning breakfast traditional but well done. However, the wait staff at the breakfast buffet need trained in basic restaurant hygiene. We saw them set tables touching the eating end of utensils, putting fingers down into glasses as they brought them to the table clean and replacing dishes that had been on a used table and looked clean back on a shelf to reuse. Reviews of other hotels below the Top 10 in Trip Advisor show some awful spots in beach lodging so, unless the Durban beach hotels clean up their act, we will avoid them as a destination for our next trip to South Africa and stay in-land.

Room Tip: Higher floors have the greatest views and less street noise.