“"2 Stars!"”

Ranked #8 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
“"2 Stars!"”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Not good value for local travellers. The breakfast on the first day gets a 5 out of 10 rating, the second day the piece of hair that came out of my omelette was nauseating and I did not even attempt any further breakfast thereafter. The reception area is horrid, the desk is unwelcoming and the staff are unfriendly. Rooms are marketed as "suites" with a mini kitchenette, however no crockery or cutlery is available should one need to use the microwave. I will not pay R100 deposit for an iron in a *4 star establishment. The establishment requires a class make-over!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gairoenisa A
Andreas S, General Manager at Belaire Suites, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am very disappointed to learn of your unsatisfactory experience during your stay. Friendliness and approachability are two core attributes of any reception staff member. I have taken your comment on board and will share your feelings with my Front Office Team.

With regards to the buffet breakfast, quite a number of our guests rate our buffet breakfast as excellent and every effort is made to ensure quality and consistency of this product.

Please note that we provide Crockery and Cutlery to rooms on request.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
London
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Compared to the other places on the Golden Mile, this place is good value for the area. The views are nice and the rooms are spacious. Some things let me down though. I paid for wifi, but the signal in my room was so weak, it was barely functional. And there was no hot water in the morning to shower. They said it was a problem with the pump and that it would be fixed shortly, but it wasn't ready by the time we had to check out. But if you want a more affordable and comfortable place to stay in this area, this fits the bill. And the breakfast was good.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 6 November 2013

The location is ideal but the walls are paper thin. When our neighbours were taking a shower it sounded like they were in our room and same with watching tv. I loved being able to watch the sunrise and being right on the ocean is ideal.

Room Tip: If you are there in a slow season ask to get a room that isn't inbetween two people. They had a...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
South Pacific
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We booked a 10 night stay over valentines in february. We had a room on the 6th floor with a nice sea view. Room was clean, spacious and nice bathroom.

Very satisfied with what was provided, the air con was good but loud. The walls are thin though, you can hear next door having a conversation.

What let the hotel down is the customer service.

We ordered room service, I ordered a fillet steak with cafe de paris. This arrived after an hour, with peppercorn sauce and they gave me a tbone steak. I told them they must have got me mixed up with someone else. They apologised and went away. another 30mins later they came back and gave me a tbone steak with the right sauce... I told them again this was wrong. They told me they were still going to charge me!!! So I called up management who eventually reversed the charge....and offered me a glass of wine as an apology. Even though I had just purchased champagne!

Breakfast was a buffet. Simple set out with staff to help serve you. Nothing to really complain about.

However, we were waiting for the hotel attendant to check us into breakfast in the morning (they have your name on a list to confirm your staying there and have access to the breakfast buffet) when a gentleman came from outside the hotel, walked straight upto the attendant and simply said "I am here with (name) do you mind if I have some breakfast now? he will be down in a minute" the attendant then ignored us, looked at the list, explained that they were not eligible for the breakfast anyway "I will pay don't worry" said the gentleman. The hotelier said ok and let him through.... then turned to us and told us breakfast was now full and we had to come back in 30 minutes!!!

That was disgusting! We went to reception to complain and ask for the manager, but they were not available. We left a message to say he must contact us.

Through out our stay, repeatedly we asked to speak to the manager but they were never available.

Do not rely on reception to call you a taxi either, they usually forget. Or they don't tell you as promised when it arrives.

Yeah the rooms are cheap, good location, clean. But do not expect any standard of service whilst you are there.

Room Tip: Get a sea view
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 20 October 2013

If you are looking for a perfectly located hotel with friendly helpful staff and a great attitude towards making your stay comfortable then the Belaire Suites is great. Adequate clean and functional facilities in the room and everything else close by including the amazing Jiran restaurant on the ground floor. I have already booked my next business trip.

Room Tip: The higher up the quieter and the better the view. Try to get a sea facing room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Malcolm W
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Do you like large hotels with a pool, fitness center, spiffy bars, three restaurants and everything charged extra - then the Belaire Suites are not your taste....
Nicely located at North Beach (some steps from some of the largest beach hotels in town) this 7 story hotel offers very good accommodation at an extraordinary price - actually about the best value for money I have seen around.
The price for the four star hotel is very low so we expected some flaws and there are, but very minor considering the saved money. I had a couple of small issues upon arrival (safe closed, wrong plugs on the bedside reading lights) and they were solved within a few hours. We have seen faster reception staff in other hotels, but staff is very friendly, knows you and is helpful, so what more to ask. The room was spaceous with all amenities you expect in a hotel of that rating - however, had not had fresh air for some time.... opening the sea side window (all rooms are seaside!) for a couple of hours did the trick.
A very good if not perfect experience at a price that makes you read it twice.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business